No announcement yet.

World Cup Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we expand the field to group runners up who qualified via the playoffs, Greece kept 5 clean sheets in their 2014 qualifying group but conceded 1 goal to Romania when beating them in the play-off.

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
      Africa needs more qualification spots. Having Nigeria, Algeria and Ghana in the same group and only one of the three going through is an absolute travesty
      95 countries (ie, almost 50% of FIFA) were guaranteed only a two-legged tie this time. Including every African team and all bar six of the North Americans. I realise this may suit many of the poorer small fry, but how can FIFA reconcile it with the Euro-minnows all getting 10 games and Bolivia or Venezuela 18?

This time it's likely to be

Europe 14 (West 10, East 4)
      S America 5
      Africa 5
      N America 4
      Asia 4

Comment

About half of Africa's teams are below world rank 100 compared to around a fifth of UEFA's. But I think CAF has the power to organize the same system as UEFA if it really wants to. The stumbling blocks must be finance and simply lack of demand for groups of six compared to sudden death. Moreover, if UEFA adopted the CAF system you'd probably have better football in the groups but it would resemble the Champions League, with half the nations out before the real action starts.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
          Wood came on late, to no avail. 0-0, but Peru didn't park, they made the running. NZ media chuffed, like non-Leaguers celebrating a 3rd round replay.
          Good to see Marinovic make one excellent save. Fans are pretty high on him here in Vancouver.

Comment

There's no proper Irish pub in Paris at all. This one is showing a French rugby match..crowded around a tiny telly with two Danes.

Comment

What the hell is the plan ffs

Comment

If you make Denmark look like Brazil, do you belong at the World Cup

Comment

A garryowen!!!

Comment

O'Neill 's usual rope a dope, it worked in Cardiff (just about ) but Denmark look a stronger side

Comment

I'm surprised O'Neill picked a striker, as he's apparently playing 5-5-0, with both banks very deep.

The risk with the 0-0 is that if Denmark score in Ireland, the Irish need two, which is as likely as Hillary Clinton winning the Presidency in 2020.

Comment

True, nil all isn't as good a result as some think, they came out in the last five minutes so hopefully they'll be a bit more attacking in the second, one thing about this Irish side is they've a happy knack of getting a goal from very few chances so I live in hope

Comment

Shane Long would come in handy.

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
                            There's no proper Irish pub in Paris at all. This one is showing a French rugby match..crowded around a tiny telly with two Danes.
                            i went running past one this morning, near republic. went for a 5 miler after being at stade de france last night. no idea if they are showing the game

Comment

Ray Houghton has been good tonight. Commendably unbiased and prepared to tell viewers how bad this football is.

I don't see what the point of Arter playing is. Unlike for his club all he's doing is knocking it long or helping it on first time when he has plenty of time. If that's all the midfield players have been told to do Ireland might as well get a more physically imposing carthorse on.

Comment

Or bring on hoolahan next to arter and play some fucking football

Comment

Well that's what I would do but you know it's not going to happen.

Comment

I know what you mean. This will be another excuse for them to say that Arter just doesn't do it in an Ireland shirt.

Comment

Just when a bad game couldn't get any worse here comes Nicklas Bendtner.

Comment

come on you fucking useless cunts. Don't you realise that if one of you deflects one in off your bollocks, even half the Irish rugby team will forget that they just beat south africa by five tries.

Comment

Whelan. There's that creativity we've been crying out for.

Comment

I half want them to lose to get rid of O'Neill, but then I realised that his contract has been extended

Comment

For those of you watching in hell, the match will be repeated for the rest of the week.

Comment

Think you should have watched the French rugby Antoine

Comment

Jim Beglin (who is just as infuriating dreary and cliched in real life as on his limited phrases commentary on PES console games) gave man of the match to Arter. Fucks sake.

Comment

Mission accomplished. Successfully avoided scoring any away goals.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X