• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woke Neville Southall

is becoming a bit of a hero on Twitter

Most recently for his advocacy of trans identity

after contacting Judeinlondon to educate himself about the issue

A few of that Everton Team are left. Peter Reid was pro-Corbyn too. But Neville seems the most radical

He’s brilliant. His anti Tory invective during the election was great as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
      is becoming a bit of a hero on Twitter

Most recently for his advocacy of trans identity

after contacting Judeinlondon to educate himself about the issue

A few of that Everton Team are left. Peter Reid was pro-Corbyn too. But Neville seems the most radical
      Pat Nevin is pretty left as well.

Comment

I found this thread*, wherein Big Nev enquires as to the meaning of 'cis', legitimately sweet and heartwarming.

* which I just clocked is referenced in the opening post. Sorry Nef.
        Last edited by beak; 12-10-2017, 20:42.

Comment

All of the sound people from Llandudno are like Nev.

Comment

I loved The Binman Chronicles.

Comment

A great tribute to Neville here touching on The Binman Chronicles, his feats for Wales, his take down of Michael Owen and his Twitter exploits.

Comment

One problem with the Binman Chronicles is when he gets drawn into commenting on then-current Everton players. He says a few times that he thinks Nikita Jelavic could go on to be an Everton great. I think Jelavic had been sold inbetween the hardback and paperback publications.

Comment

However the story of the FAW secretary carrying wads of cash gate reciepts onto the plane in a carrier bag after a Wales away trip was funny. Nothing dodge according to Nev, the chap was just waiting to get a better exchange rate.

Comment

Originally posted by dogbeak View Post
                    I found this thread*, wherein Big Nev enquires as to the meaning of 'cis', legitimately sweet and heartwarming.

* which I just clocked is referenced in the opening post. Sorry Nef.
                    And he's followed it up with a belter:

2 skeletons sat on wall 1 says to other
                    U been a male a female now a skeleton which 1 is real u
                    All
                    I have never changed
                    Says other

Comment

and this
                      Lesbian,gay,bi,trans skeletons sat on a cloud
                      No one gives a fuck
                      Heaven
                      Pity not same on earth

Comment

I've just tweeted him to see if he'll ever come back to Bury for a game. He seemed reluctant to when he was living in Dover, but he said "[I'd like to] but it's just finding the time" today. I'd love to see him back there.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          One problem with the Binman Chronicles is when he gets drawn into commenting on then-current Everton players. He says a few times that he thinks Nikita Jelavic could go on to be an Everton great. I think Jelavic had been sold inbetween the hardback and paperback publications.
                          Jelavic did look pretty good at first tbf. Then it was obvious he was completely fucking paceless. Would have been a fine player in the 80s.

Comment

Peter Reid backs Big Nev

Comment

It's nice to read a story like this that makes you feel a bit better. Most things I seem to read these days are about terrible people being terrible.

Comment

An interview with the man himself

For me, I’m not playing anymore. If I offend somebody, who gives a shit? I’ve got nothing to lose. I ain’t really that bothered. If I was a footballer [I'd worry], ‘Oh is somebody going to cancel my contract?’ They’ve got so much to lose now and they have to tread on eggshells and you never get a fair reflection of what a footballer thinks anymore because they say nothing. You can tell in all the interviews that managers do and footballers do, they say nothing. They say nothing because, whatever they say, they get absolutely hammered for.

What I worry about is the kids in our school and the kids in all the other schools – where are they going to get the support? Because it still is: ‘you can’t be that, that’s not right.’ Well, is it right that you’ve got somebody who can fire a nuclear missile but somebody else gets slaughtered for being gay? Is it right that you can starve your own people but if you’re a lesbian you get tortured? I don’t think that’s right.

Comment

From a Guardian btl comment:

according to former media manager Alan Myers

“I don’t think anybody, including Neville himself, was aware of how close he came to becoming Everton manager.

I was outside Bellefield with Peter Johnson the morning after Joe [Royle] had left and we were discussing who should take over as caretaker boss.

‘I have a shortlist of two’ said the chairman. ‘Dave Watson and Neville, but I’m leaning towards Neville because a goalkeeper has less responsibility on the pitch.’

At this point Neville pulls up in the carpark – it was early and he was always first in for training – gets out his car and heads to the Bellefield entrance.

Seeing me he yells, ‘Alright Alan, you fat c**t!’ As he headed in through the doors, Peter says, very dryly, ‘I think the shortlist is down to one.’

Comment

Cometh the hour...?

Comment

Goalkeeper being a position which doesn't bring much responsibility compared with others is an interesting take, I must say.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                        I love the story of Peter Reid giving Boris Johnson shit, if only for the list of people supposed to have witnessed the scene:

Everton legend Peter Reid has revealed how he tore into Tory Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson for his Spectator magazine's infamous "self pity city" jibe, labelling the politician a "tw*t" and a "f***ing disgrace".

The tirade was witnessed by John Barnes, Richard Ashcroft, Nigel Benn and Sean Bean, who all looked on open-mouthed while Reid explained that the politician "sh*t" himself.

Comment

Neville's on form tonight:

"I find it funny that if I tweet something about LGBT stuff people ask me if I am gay but if I tweet about animals they never ask if I am a tiger �� "
                                          Why

Comment

Woke Neville now has his own column in Huck magazine,

Comment

Here's his latest Huck Magazine article on LGBTQ+

It's a very wise and moving piece, he talks about his own homophobia growing up

In primary school there was no mention of sex or any associated issues, however when I got to secondary school there were a couple of lads who were labelled gay by their peers, and they got called all sorts of names. I am ashamed to say I was one of those who singled them out for name calling. Was I ignorant of their feelings and how it would affect them? The answer is yes. Why did I do it? I think I was very immature for my age and joined in because it was what all my mates did.

That is, of course, no excuse. I never understood what they went through, there was no educational input by schools and it was never addressed in school assembly as to what these poor lads were putting up with, they were never protected from this abuse. The culture I grew up in was vastly different to todays, I hope.

TV showed a lot of homophobic material, comedians made the LGBTQ+ community the butt of their jokes. This community was deemed different to us ‘normal’ people as if they had some sort of contagious disease that needed treatment by a doctor!

Once I left school I worked on a building site and for the council and then moved into the football arena, and in all these areas I never heard anything good about LGBTQ+ people.

I never came into contact with gay people knowingly, as far as I was aware same-sex relationships between women were a thing for men to watch. Bisexuals and transgender people were never talked about or discussed. Again we used words like ‘queer’ and ’faggot’, and again I am ashamed to say I used those words.

Looking back there must have been some gay or bisexual lads within my working community, but they never let on and I can see why. The clubs I was at never had any education or information about the LGBTQ+ community, and I am pretty sure it would have been swept under the carpet if anyone had decided to bring it up. There was no form of education on any of the FA courses I attended, and never any mention of the subject. Fans sang homophobic chants. No-one within the football industry had been trained to deal with the subject or it effects. It must have been pure hell for some people.
                                              and about identities.

In fact, to be born a woman in man’s body is something that you know is true and real, to want to be a footballer is just a dream. When I said I wanted to be a footballer nobody thought I would or could, but nobody told me I couldn’t be or I wasn’t. Why do we tell trans women they cannot be women?
                                              Trans people are like super heroes
                                              Sometimes they hide who they really are but when they become themselves they are truely amazing
                                              Last edited by Nefertiti2; 30-01-2018, 22:44.

Comment

Thank you for posting that, Nef.

Comment

Big ole sap that I am, I was really touched by that last quote.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X