UEFA Nations League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
    Group winners are easy to spot, but to find the 5th best team are they using inter-group comparisons?
    It's not been clarified yet, according to the Guardian.

On the fairness issue, the argument is that a Top 4 finisher should not have to play a team from the league above in a playoff. 5th and below are not given that privilege. OTOH it is convenient for a League A team that it does not have to face a top League B team, despite the fact that the League A team will already have failed twice. It seems designed to protect a team like the Netherlands.

Bear in mind also that 20 teams qualify by the normal route so if you're in a playoff you weren't in the Top 20, which is 36.36% of the field. It's a stupid way to supply 16 playoff teams instead of the usual 8, based on results that took place 18 months earlier. Instead of a transparent 8 best 3rd placed teams, we have this mess, where you get a playoff by default because the team that beat you by Route X qualified by Route Y, giving you the escape clause even though you failed in X and Y.

Comment

Yeah. I still haven't found the right dosage to let me understand exactly how it works. But list-ticking could yet provide a way of enjoying it:

I've just 12 of the 55 current UEFA nations left to see in the flesh. And, thanks to Slovakia hitting Hampden last October, Switzerland's the only country in Nations Leagues A and B I've still to put a biro score through.

So Scotland being in Pot 1 of the League C draw today could yet work out perfectly for this wearer of waterproof outer garments. But only if we (a) avoid the one group of three and (b) draw Albania from Pot 2, Cyprus from Pot 4 and Montenegro or Israel from Pot 3.

If we get Lithuania again I'm not renewing my Supporters Club membership.

If we get none of the above four nations I hope we get relegated. Coz League D's where the real trainspotting's at.
      Last edited by Alex Anderson; 24-01-2018, 10:22. Reason: And I mock the Tartan Army-types for "making their own fun".

Comment

Set these words to Beethoven's Symphony number 9 and you've got the theme for the competition.
        I think there's one already.

Comment

Very Karl Jenkins-esque - good stuff.

The draw can be watched here in about half an hour:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_UIZUQe2gA
          Last edited by Kevin S; 24-01-2018, 10:29.

Comment

Here we go then.

Comment

Figo and Beckham must have been busy, so they've brought in Aleksandr Hleb to do the draw.

Comment

White hot excitement this.

Comment

D1 = Georgia, Latvia, Kaz, Andorra
                  D2 = Belarus, Lux, Moldova, San Marino
                  D3 = Azerbaijan, Faroes, Malta, Kosovo
                  D4 = Macedonia, Armenia, Liecht, Gib

Comment

Oh, Hleb gets kicked out now! He was a "League D" standard ball-picker.

Comment

Jari!

Comment

C1 = Scotland, Albania, Israel (three team group)
                        C2 = Hungary, Greece, Finland, Estonia
                        C3 = Slovenia, Norway, Bulgaria, Cyprus
                        C4 = Romania, Serbia, Lithuania, Montenegro

Comment

Oh, fuck off UEFA! Giving us the "one mistake and you're screwed" mini-group, and with the best of the C-League teams (Albania) to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                            This is Alan Partridge's Soccer-meter, brought to life.
                            You weren't wrong :

How the Nations League is a back-door route to Euro 2020

Comment

Andorra must be cursing voting for this (if they did): three trips to the former USSR. Andorra to Kazakhstan is 3,000 miles.

https://www.distancefromto.net/dista...-to-kazakhstan

Comment

The bottom team in C1 is not automatically relegated; it is the worst of the four 3rd placed teams (with the results against the fourth team discounted) who goes down to League D with the three fourth-placed teams.

Vladimir Smicer about to do League B.

Comment

Scotland in a three team group, and will play Albania and Israel, and Israel and Albania. Thrilling.

Comment

The playoff semi-finals are only one leg, based on position in the league, so if you're the lower ranked team, you don't even get a money-spinning home leg.

Comment

Is nobody even bothering to broadcast this live?

Comment

B1 = Slovakia, Ukraine, Czechia
                                        B2 = Russia, Sweden, Turkey
                                        B3 = Austria, BIH, Norn Iron
                                        B4 = Wales, Ireland, Denmark

Christian Eriksen likes this.

Hahahaha, and Wales in there too!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                          Is nobody even bothering to broadcast this live?
                                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_UIZUQe2gA

Comment

Oh well, Denmark to win that group then.

Comment

The bottom team in C1 is not automatically relegated; it is the worst of the four 3rd placed teams (with the results against the fourth team discounted) who goes down to League D with the three fourth-placed teams.

Vladimir Smicer about to do League B.
                                              The last game in the three-team group could therefore be a stitch up. One team needs a high scoring draw to win the group, and that suits the other team, which then avoids being the worst of the four 3rd placed teams.

But also, note the sheer absurdity of being relegated based on 4 games instead of your world ranking accrued over several years.

Comment

Thanks, I figured it was on youtube somewhere but I thought it significant that no media outlet was bothering.

Comment

B4 = Wales, Ireland, Denmark

Giggs gags. O'Neill's resignation is on its way?
                                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 24-01-2018, 11:49.

Comment

A1 = Germany, France, Netherlands
                                                    A2 = Belgium, Switzerland, Iceland
                                                    A3 = Portugal, Italy, Poland
                                                    A4 = Spain, England, Croatia

Comment

Working...
                                                    X