No announcement yet.

UEFA Nations League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd assumed that the next Nations League run in 2020 would just be a glorified series of friendlies with no qualification on the line, as we've only 13 World Cup spots to fill, but 24 Euros spots obviously leaves a lot more room for mucking around. Bbut it's not clear. And yeh, a 2022 Nations League would presumably have to be bumped into early 2023. Possibly, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      Looking ahead two years, I'm not sure how they can blend this into a WC qualifying format that will only produce 13 qualifiers. The old system would presumably fit 8 groups of 6 and one of 7 with the winners qualifying plus 4 teams from play-offs, but a truncated March-Nov calendar would make that hard to do.

Looking ahead 4 years, they presumably cannot play Nations League in 2022 because the WC starts in November.

So although the Nations League may be a qualified success this Autumn, the timing is bad.
      1 Longer term: reduce 55 teams to 16 qualifiers (from 2026) with either

9 groups (8x6 + 1x7*, winners qualify along with 4 teams from League A, 2 from League B and one from League C), or

10 groups (5x6 + 5x5, winners qualify along with 4 teams from League A, 2 from League B, or

11 groups (11x5, winners qualify along with 4 teams from League A, 1 from League B

* 7 team groups are too unwieldy so this format looks unlikely even if it wasn't bonkers per se

2 Short term for 2022: suspend NL?

My drugs? Thanks
      Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 09-10-2018, 10:34. Reason: As per Rogin's reminder, thanx

Comment

16 UEFA qualifiers for the next one don't forget

Comment

I think it would be hugely controversial to give World Cup places based on Nations League games. It would be a much bigger game changer than 4 out of 24 Euro slots.

My understanding, as per Sean's post, is that the League would just be used to determine seedings in the qualifying draw in World Cup cycles.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
            2 Short term for 2022: suspend NL?
            I know that the Dutch haven't exactly played well lately, but this seems a bit harsh.

Comment

I think it would be hugely controversial to give World Cup places based on Nations League games. It would be a much bigger game changer than 4 out of 24 Euro slots.

My understanding, as per Sean's post, is that the League would just be used to determine seedings in the qualifying draw in World Cup cycles
              Aren't the alternatives either

1) a need for play-offs (difficult to fit into the timetable) or

2) eight groups so that 16 teams can progress (which means oversize groups, ie 7x7 + 1x6 as referred above)
              Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 09-10-2018, 13:23.

Comment

Or use the Nations League as pre-qualifiers. Group A, group B and the top half of Group C go into the WC qualifying groups. Boom. You've got rid of the meaningless qualifier games that are all about boosting goal difference.

Nations League then continues for the C/D teams to enable them to decide who's in Group C for the next Euros.

Comment

But I suspect those Group D teams are relying on the occasional game against a Group A or B side, which is why we don't already have pre-Qualifiers.

Comment

Sorry I confused the dates above. The problem arises with Nations League 2022- there's no time slot because of the Qatar WC Finals. So qualifying for Euro 24 will have to include either a play-off or countback to reduce the 54 teams to 23. If the former they'll need to fit in an extra window somehow

Comment

The Nations League group phase could perhaps be played in May-June 2022. I can't see any other way that you could fit this year's format around the World Cup.

Comment

The Daily Star has described this weekend's England games as "crunch Nations League qualifiers", surely the first time anyone's used that phrase - even in print - without laughing out loud.

Comment

I hadn't realised the Croatia England game was behind closed doors. Does that mean it's just going to be Jonathan Pearce, and the occasional burst of Gareth Southgate's pitchside utterances?

Comment

It's on Sky.

Comment

Tranmere v Macclesfield on at the same time as the England game. Got to admire whoever scheduled that.

Comment

Russia v Sweden is on US TV at 3.45 EST. I must say I am not tempted. Croatia v England is too soon after the World Cup.

Comment

Scotland seem to have the weakest group in their tier and thus a good chance of a play-off, but Serbia look the strongest side in the tier.

Comment

Scotland seem to have the weakest group in their tier and thus a good chance of a play-off, but Serbia look the strongest side in the tier.
                                    As last night reminded everyone, we're capable of making even a weak group look like our draw in Mexico 86 (W.Germany-Denmark-Uruguay).

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                      Tranmere v Macclesfield on at the same time as the England game. Got to admire whoever scheduled that.
                                      During the World Cup, I was told in no uncertain terms that nobody on Merseyside gives a flying one about England - so I guess that this further strengthens that point.

Comment

Good to see Iceland bounce back

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                          Good to see Iceland bounce back
                                          Bjork Gudmundsdottir, Magnus Magnusson, Eidur Gudjohnsensson yer boys took the hell of a beating...

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                                            As last night reminded everyone, we're capable of making even a weak group look like our draw in Mexico 86 (W.Germany-Denmark-Uruguay).
                                            Last night was as grim a performance as I can remember from Scotland - and lordy knows there have been some belters in the last 20 years.
                                            The SFA need to take swift action, admit that re-hiring McLeish was a huge mistake, and bring in a coach who isn't completely fucking clueless with regard to team selection, shape and tactics.
                                            Then perhaps, we might have a chance of making progress again.
                                            I wasn't WGS's biggest fan, but he's on a whole different level in comparison to Big Eck.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
                                              The dynamic, ultra-modern, ultra-sophisticated management team of Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane might soon be available...
                                              Here's hoping

Comment

Your time on the alien planet is done...

Comment

Switzerland convert a well-rehearsed free kick to pull level with Belgium.

Comment

Rather dozy defence from les Diables Rouges, it must be said

Comment

Working...
                                                    X