UEFA Nations League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    Goal for Big Dave in Pristina (or wherever Kosovo play their home matches)
    Sgusset?

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
      Oh and Aleksandr ‘not good enough for Newcastle’ Mitrovic bags another two
      Yeah, what is that about? He's scoring for Fulham as well. Is it just he doesn't get on with Rafa?

Comment

Has the tournament been normalized now or does the shit hit the fans* when a Tier D teams gets a place at the Euros while a Tier B or C club stays home?

*Typo but I'm leaving it in

Comment

Why would anyone care?

It isn't as if the coefficients have massive buy in from supporters across the continent.

Comment

I think it'll be good for a laugh when England lose to Luxembourg at Euro 2020 and everyone on Talksport has an utter meltdown

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              Has the tournament been normalized now or does the shit hit the fans* when a Tier D teams gets a place at the Euros while a Tier B or C club stays home?

*Typo but I'm leaving it in
              If Northern Ireland fail to make second in the main qualifying tournament after Xmas, and then stiff in the play-offs (which we'll likely be in even if finishing last in the current series) we don't deserve to be in an elite Finals. If Luxembourg or Kosovo make it as effectively a wild card, good luck to them.

I assume the gurning will be louder if a larger TV market misses out

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                Yeah, what is that about? He's scoring for Fulham as well. Is it just he doesn't get on with Rafa?
                He had a quote about this recently, Rafa's style involves a lot of defending deep, then breaking at pace, as well as wanting the forward players to press hard in certain situations. With Mitro's build, he would have been dead on his feet by minute 60 of every game for Newcastle and both him and Rafa recognized this and had talked about it, with the best he could hope for probably being an impact sub. Fulham's style of play is a much better fit for him and everybody seems pretty happy with how it worked out in the end, bar the Toon fans whose eyes glaze over once they see the goals scored #.

Comment

Spain are giving Croatia a serious tonking. 4-0 after 50.

Comment

I tell you what, Brian - I just love the Nations League logo/flag. It looks really good as a sleeve badge too, especially after those awful Russia WC qualifiers/finals ones in a white box.

Flicking round tonight’s games and Spain are spanking Croatia 3-0 at half time, Belgium are 0-2 up in Iceland and San Marino are 0-3 down at home to Luxembourg. I am finding the latter game strangely compelling - mostly for the vocal support from the small number of travelling supporters (who still may outnumber the home fans, hard to tell as they’ve had nothing to cheer about).

Comment

5-0 Spain.

Comment

Now 6-0. Have Croatia done a Denmark, fallen out with their entire senior squad and fielded a semi-pro lineup?

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                          Now 6-0. Have Croatia done a Denmark, fallen out with their entire senior squad and fielded a semi-pro lineup?
                          About five of the regulars started:

https://uk.soccerway.com/matches/201...?ICID=PL_MS_08

Comment

Rashford dropping hints, to be roundly ignored by his club manager, whose name I dare not speak for fear of rousing a certain person to apoplexy.

Comment

Originally posted by bix80
                              By the way (though it was not a League of Nations do), doesn't the England match in Leicester pretty much show there's no need for Wembley?
                              There were a little over 30,000 people at the game tonight (I’d heard rumours about free/cheap tickets being offered around) and, in the snatches of it I saw, the atmosphere was appalling.

Wembley had over 81,000 there on Saturday which proves it’s worth for major matches/opponents on pure capacity grounds if nothing else.
                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 11-09-2018, 22:26.

Comment

Ł55 a ticket, according to a poster on the Leicester forum I frequent.

Comment

I think that’s certainly a factor (and obviously ridiculous).

Nothing in my post was meant to be a criticism of Leicester or their stadium, by the way, (the story about free/cheap tickets came from a Foxes supporter in my office) simply questioning the idea that tonight’s friendly had any bearing on Wembley’s worth.

Comment

I'm with Ray on the flag.

Unless he was taking the piss. It's hard to tell sometimes.

Comment

Oh no, I’m totally serious. This is far too important an issue to crack wise about. I’m looking for a pin badge of it.

I also really like the icons matching the countries’ kits/flags colours on the score in the TV coverage.

I actually found some kind of presentation online from the marketing/design company responsible for it but didn’t look in any great detail as it looked a bit to much like bollocks, even for me.

Comment

I'm with Ray here.

Badges exist, but are not on general sale

Comment

Yes, I am monitoring the situation on eBay - where I’ve picked up many of the more ‘hard to find’ items in my collection. A Rot-Weiss Frankfurt badge is the latest one I’m hunting for.

Comment

Well it seems like there are three of us who like the flag than. Four if you count Mrs Thistle, who brought it to my attention during the Wales coverage the other night.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                              There were a little over 30,000 people at the game tonight (I’d heard rumours about free/cheap tickets being offered around) and, in the snatches of it I saw, the atmosphere was appalling.

Wembley had over 81,000 there on Saturday which proves it’s worth for major matches/opponents on pure capacity grounds if nothing else.
                                              England - Spain was at the weekend and a competitive game. And it's Spain, still a pretty big draw.

England - Switzerland was midweek, a normal friendly, and for the good players that the Swiss have, it's not quite the same as Spain.

Comment

You don’t get it, I’m not criticising the crowd at Leicester - it was close to capacity after all.

I was pointing out that, contrary to Bix’s statement that “there’s no need for Wembley”, having a stadium three times the capacity of average club grounds is justified on grounds of demand.

Bix has since clarified his point a little, which was about the ownership/option to sell Wembley.

Although ;

Originally posted by bix80
                                                Also, there are plenty of other stadiums in the country with a similar capacity.
                                                Really? There are “plenty” of stadiums in England with a capacity “similar” to 90,000?
                                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-09-2018, 08:21.

Comment

Haha, yes, there's only one other stadium in England which could have seated the 81000 who went that game. A stadium which is, in fact, owned by England's national association of another sport, no less.

Comment

In case it's not been mentioned (sorry for not keeping up with the thread) the Nations League seems to be suggesting that Italy are still a bit shit. Drawing 1-1 at home to Poland is not the kind of result to announce your national team's return to Europe's top table.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X