No announcement yet.

UEFA Nations League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Ray. I'm going to need another angle though.

Can't make out if that's an actual spiral, going all the way round the main structure, or if it's just three semi-circular sheets of stainless steel of increasing width.

Is the space between the flaps in-filled? Am I 15 years old?

Or, if there's actual space within an actual spiral, is it of the depth merely to take a 10p piece running right round it, like the old gobstopper dispensers along the prom at Bridlington, or could you comfortably pour a Nebuchadnezzar's worth of Moet in at the top and drink it out the bottom while jumping up and down on a fibre glass podium wearing your socks at your ankles, a medal round your neck and a scarf around your head?

Or would it just slosh all over the picture of your deceased relative on your t-shirt?

Looks like a cubist UEFA Cup. But is it another cup for a League?
    Last edited by Alex Anderson; 25-01-2018, 18:15. Reason: "Cubist". Fuckssakes.

Comment

I can definitely foresee spillage issues ...

... plus you'd definitely lose an eye trying to drink from the top.

Comment

It’s a cubist UEFA Cup crossed with the Giro d’Italia trophy

(Resisted the temptation to comment on 15 year olds’ interest in flaps. Oops, no I didn’t)
        Last edited by Felicity, I guess so; 26-01-2018, 08:26.

Comment

Aye, that's a great shout, Felicity - the Giro trophy is another so vase-like I'd definitely be pouring champers into it then feeling sad and confused when it came pishing out the sides.

Almost as colurful as the world champion jersey too - I can see, from the photo above, the expressionistic 55-nation flag logo is imprinted on the inside of each "layer".

Yes - layer. Sorry about the "flaps" thing. Pathetic. Furthermore, from the angle of this latest pic, what dominates is the very substantial spine of the trophy: The man is clearly holding a massive stiff shaft.

Comment

Comment

All that came to my chaste innocent mind was a semi-peeled Cornetto.

Comment

Hur hur hur. You said "semi". Hur hur hur.

Comment

... and that bloke's kissing it!

Yup. Lovely trophy that. Clearly unable to hold any champers though. I was gonnae say "liquid" but, really, this has to stop - especially as so many people put such a lot of work (for free too, I'd imagine) into creating the Nations League trophy which, apparently, is a rolled-up flag.

I needed a better look, to decide if it was a cup or just a trophy, and should have known UEFA had released a making of video:

When it's still in plastic, at the factory, ye see down the centre of it. With the base underneath, that's definitely tightly-rolled enough to hold a few pints.

No. Stop it. (Seriously - I'm beginning to sound like a Jimmy Carr routine - shouldn't have started this)

It's a cup is what I'm saying. The Nations League Trophy is a cup. We now live in a world where FIFA's main competitions are called cups, UEFA's are called leagues and neither organisation has the appropriate silverware for any of them.
                  Last edited by Alex Anderson; 26-01-2018, 13:06. Reason: "Ooh. Have you 'bitten off more than ye can chew, Alex?!'" STOP IT!! PLEASE! I'M SORRY!

Comment

Don't bother buying tickets for Croatia v England. As if anyone was going to anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                      Don't bother buying tickets for Croatia v England. As if anyone was going to anyway...
                      I have already booked flights and accommodation for Croatia (you need to be quick on the draw or the prices skyrocket). Would it really have been much to ask for the announcement that Croatia's first home match would be behind closed doors to be made at the time of the draw?

Comment

This really needed to be presented by Troy McClure.

Comment

How did a swastika get cut into the Croatia v Italy pitch when the match was played behind closed doors? Inside job?

Comment

Wouldn't be the first time that is the answer.

Comment

So Croatia's next (competitive) home game will be against England, and could be watched by one cup and no fans.

Comment

Reminder of schedule

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E...eague#Schedule

A few notes:

One of Spain, Croatia and England is going to be relegated in November, while the winner goes to the semis on 5-6 June 2019

There is going to be a 3rd placed play off as well as a final so we could see France v Belgium and France v Croatia reprised. The host will apparently be the winner of the Italy/Portugal/Poland group (A3).

In League B, there are two WC QFs in the same group, Russia and Sweden, but the most interesting group is probably Wales, ROI and Denmark.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  the most interesting group is probably Wales, ROI and Denmark.
                                  Says the person that, firstly, probably isn't going to go to the games (neither am I probably) and, secondly, has obviously never been to a Wales/ROI game which are always boreathons.

Am I the only one that doesn't this thing at all? I am amazed that it has a 7 page thread. If I read it, I would probably have more of a clue but feel that it would be part of my life wasted. Nothink against OTF obvs, if anywhere was going to explain it reasonably engagingly it would be here.

Comment

The thread is about the shiteness of the competition, though. Nobody is commending it or looking forward to watching the games AFAIK. Similar to the Qatar 2022 thread.

The interest is in the impacts on the other competitions and the freakish nature of the format. No sane person wants Wales v ROI every two years but the fall-out (car crash, as it were) is significant for club v country disputes and so on.

Comment

I've renewed my NI season ticket (although it's shared this time). So should be at the Bosnia and Austria home games. Bring it on.

The format's bonkers agreed but I dont see some of the problems/ unfairness predicted. There are no more international dates than before, while the best 20 teams will qualify anyway from the 10 game series next year

Comment

I'm commending and looking forward to it.

Comment

I’ve renewed the home season ticket for me and The Boy so will see those matches (the schoolnight scheduling may limit what The Boys gets to, mind) and am going out to the Denmark game as it’s always a great trip (though a 6pm Sunday kick off is rubbish). Still no clue what the tournament really is though, obvs.
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 22-07-2018, 09:55.

Comment

The bit that thoroughly confuses me is that the Nations League finals appear to directly clash with a planned week of qualifiers for the Euros as well.

Comment

The overall format also offers the very real possibility that a "League A" side (let's say, ooh, England) could lose all their Nations League games, screw up their "classic" qualifying group in some style, finishing fourth or fifth, and still find themselves in one of the playoff brackets with a couple of teams who finished second in their League B divisions and one out of League C.

Comment

Yes- its an insurance policy for England in Rogin's example. At the expense of a team who finished 3rd in qualifying. Tough- although any sympathy will depend on whether you think a quirkish place for plankton is worth annoying a miñnow

Comment

The World Cup is trickier in this respect because initial reports suggested that only Tiers A and B would be eligible for the play-off places (2 out of 16 qualifiers; I'm not sure what would be the point of playing in Tiers C and D that season except to jostle for places in the next Euros season). This would increase the sense of injustice if you finish 15th in the qualifiers but lose out to a team that finished 25th but got the insurance policy play-off. In 2018, for example, imagine that Croatia missed out but Netherlands and Italy got the Nations League slots because they started out in Tier A.

Comment

Hold on, I have just found out that Wales are still playing friendlies around these fixtures.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X