The Downfall of Harvey Weinstein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    And at least he should have kept that fucking floating wizard comic relief thing well away from Court.
    Transdimensional being, Orko. You can't keep something like that away from where it wants to go, really.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
      Nicely done, Reed.

But can you name (or convincingly reference) the aborted spinoff from The Brady Bunch? And no, not The Brady Brides or any of those.
      Other than the cartoon, the variety show, specials, etc, I could not.

But the internet says this was, in a round about way, a spinoff.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Together_We_Stand

Comment

Did Happy Days ever have any black characters? If not, was their absence noted at the time, given that the show was ostensibly about music that African Americans invented?

Aside: The Brady Bunch Movie from the mid-90s is the worst movie I've ever seen in a cinema.

Comment

They had a black guy on in two specifically anti-racism episodes I can recall.

The show was rarely about music except when Pinky Tuscadero was on.

The Brady Movies in the 90s were satire of a very specific thing. Perhaps you needed to have watched a lot of the show in the 70s and 80s to get it.

Edit: Apparently one of the black characters I was imagining, Sticks (so named because he was skinny and played the drums) was in two episodes. There was also an episode where Fonz serves on a jury and his knowledge of motorcycles proves critical in showing that the black defendant could not have stolen the purse as the prosecution alledges.
          Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 13-10-2017, 03:16.

Comment

Milwaukee is still one of the most segregated cities in the country

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              Aside: The Brady Bunch Movie from the mid-90s is the worst movie I've ever seen in a cinema.
              Really? I thought it was very funny. Not artful; in terms of wit, it does not stand alongside The Philadelphia Story, but very amusing nonetheless.

Comment

I think you had to have watched the Brady Bunch TV show as a child to see any value in it. American friends of my acquaintance and my age group loved it. I though it was awful. But then I think it was sort of a post modern ironic take on a much loved classic, but if you'd never watched the much loved classic it just seemed really really bad.

Comment

Surely it was 'only' for fans of the original series? I mean, what could anyone else have made of it at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    Louis Jordan, 11 years earlier, rocked more than Haley, and if the charts and pop media had been around in 1944, he'd be given the rock and roll pioneer credit that Haley lucked on to.
                    Which reminds me; Five Guys Named Moe is back on in London.

Comment

What I can't understand is why isn't his name pronounced properly?

It's Wein-Stein

Not Wein-Stien.

Comment

Well, it really should be Vine-Stein, but . . .

There is a long tradition in this country of Jewish names having the ei sound morph into an ee sound via Yiddish

A pattern is seen by John Algeo, professor of English at the University of Georgia. ''The German names are usually pronounced with an eye sound. Most of the Jewish names have had the American influence of the ee sound, as in the words weird or receive , particularly that ei after the letter c .'' Professor Algeo notes that, in Yiddish, a sound change occurred, with the ei pronounced as a long a , as in stain , but changed in American-influenced Yiddish to ee . ''The ending of stein , pronounced steen ,'' he concludes, ''reflects an American influence.''

Comment

To be honest, the pronunciation of his name wasn't the first issue I had with all of this...

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                            Other than the cartoon, the variety show, specials, etc, I could not.

But the internet says this was, in a round about way, a spinoff.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Together_We_Stand
                            Yes, I was looking for Kelly's Kids. Piloted through the BB, but never picked up. One of the 'Kids' was to be Mike Lookinland's (Bobby Brady) kid brother Todd.

Comment

I went on a movie-book bender last year, some of which were very detailed on Miramax, the Weinstein Company, and the brothers in general.

Harvey, without mincing words, is a monster. He's violent, abusive, has enormous anger issues and is tyrannical in almost all of his dealings. That said, I don't recall any reference to him sexually harassing young female actors.

Which is odd, sort of. When I read Going Clear, about Scientology, they were absolutely casual about John Travolta being gay. It was as if it was so well known that litigation would have been laughable. Yet there was absolutely zero reference to Tom Cruise being gay, when that's pretty much been the worst kept secret in Hollywood for two decades. So either Tom Cruise is really frightening and litigious, or everyone's had it all wrong for most of his adult life. Hmm.

To bring that back to HW, he's either kept this whole harassment / payoff / hide in plain sight doing Liberal causes thing going very well, or people were too frightened to write about it.
                              To follow up on this, Down and Dirty Pictures by Peter Biskind is the book I'm referencing that went deep on Miramax / Weinstein, but never talked about rapey rumours. Biskind has finally answered about that.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...in-allegations

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                I think you had to have watched the Brady Bunch TV show as a child to see any value in it. American friends of my acquaintance and my age group loved it. I though it was awful. But then I think it was sort of a post modern ironic take on a much loved classic, but if you'd never watched the much loved classic it just seemed really really bad.
                                Quite so. Without that attachment the film makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  You'd think they'd at least be consistent across the two syllables. If it's going to be 'Wine-steen" not "Wine-stine" (or "Vine-schtine"), then why not "Ween-steen" eh. Would have appropriate connotations now, too.

Comment

To follow up on this, Down and Dirty Pictures by Peter Biskind is the book I'm referencing that went deep on Miramax / Weinstein, but never talked about rapey rumours. Biskind has finally answered about that.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...in-allegations
                                    That backs up what I was thinking - that there were rumors and a lot of people heard first hand accounts from women, but those women didn't want to come forward, and everyone knew the risks of doing so, so they stayed quiet too. Seth MacFarlane, for example, told a joke about Weinstein being a predator during the Oscar announcements. It got a nervous laugh. But now he says that he was told by a friend who was assaulted by Weinstein and he made that joke out of anger and disgust. But he couldn't come out and say what he actually knew.

A lot of people have been in that position vis-a-vis sexual assault. You hear a story, but it's not your story to tell and they don't want to report it so neither do you. I've heard a few things like that and I feel terrible that I don't know what to do about it. On the one hand, you'd like to stop the predator from doing it again, but I understand that it's not good to take away what little control the survivor has and drag them into an investigation or whatever if they're not ready to do that.

But I'm not entirely sure that's how it should be. I've been trained that when a kid comes to you and tells you they're being abused or possibly abused that you tell them they'll be safe but that you never promise them you won't tell anyone else, because you have to and you don't want to lie to the kid. I'm not 100% sure why it should be different with adults. I have a vague idea that maybe it should be, but can't pin it down.
                                    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 13-10-2017, 16:04.

Comment

Technically if you were told in a professional capacity eg if you were a nurse, I think you would have to report it.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                        Technically if you were told in a professional capacity eg if you were a nurse, I think you would have to report it.
                                        Good point.

Comment

The laws on mandatory reporting of such assaults differ by profession and state. Things can get especially complicated when the assault occurs in one jurisdiction and the report in another.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            The laws on mandatory reporting of such assaults differ by profession and state. Things can get especially complicated when the assault occurs in one jurisdiction and the report in another.
                                            I only come in contact with kids via my role as a youth leader with the church, and I have some obligations because of that. But I don't think I'd handle it any differently if some other kind told me the same thing.
                                            All of my training and background checks have been about dealing with kids. We've never talked about what to do if an adult tells us something. I'd probably punt by going to a professional. There are lots of them around here.

Comment

(in French)

Comment

And come on down... Steven Seagal!

Comment

...said Satan.

Comment

Indeed.

It's curious. When I look at pictures of Seagal and Weinstein now, they look exactly like the ogres the are. It's obviously projection but part of me thinks "It's so clear, what took everyone so long to see it." (That's rhetorical BTW, of course. We know precisely why.) But they do easily fit an archetype. We're still so damn primitive in so many ways.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X