No announcement yet.

The Downfall of Harvey Weinstein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that you're intruding on some private Cannuck grief. I'm not sure, though...

Comment

The "Old Man" is the Globe & Mail. The "dressing to the right" bit is a joke, as in "Do you dress to the left or right sir?" when being fitted for a suit. The paper has let go several of its freelance columnists, most female and most, to varying degrees, left of centre.

Comment

I never understood what the point of Matt Lauer was. But even so, this seems to be a very, very rapid move by NBC, to fire him rather than put him on gardening leave pending investigation, which suggests it's something very serious.

Comment

Lauer was the heartthrob who did news in the early 90s, with Bryant Gumbel and Katie Couric as hosts. Back then, Today did news broadcasts for about 10 minutes every half an hour, and it was a big part of the show.

Then Gumbel left, Lauer became a host, and Ann Curry became the news anchor.

One of the weird 90s kid memories I have is Today was on our kitchen television every. single. day. and I have zero memory of this being a thing past 2000 or so. I was watching Today when Bill Clinton said he didn't have sexual relations with that woman. I have a feeling Lewinsky probably played a sizable role in my parents just deciding not to bother with the Today show, since I have some memories of NPR's Morning Edition becoming A Thing in our house by then.

Comment

NBC had already fired Mark Halperin so that set a precedent for firing Lauer, but Lauer is a bigger name. Will it mean promotion for Megan Kelly, and thus a move downmarket for the program?

Watching morning news in the US seems a bit of a masochistic ritual; I unwisely tried MSNBC for a month or two in that slot; fucking awful "Morning Joe" self-important "look at me" personality presenter garbage, where Joe would be surrounded by these fawning pundits including Halperin, who would toe the line on whatever bullshit line Joe was spinning that morning.
            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 29-11-2017, 16:15.

Comment

Can it move downmarket? Every time I've ever seen it, it felt like there couldn't possibly be a lower common denominator than Al Roker cooking after Justin Bieber performed at Rockefeller Plaza.

Comment

I've rarely seen it but my understanding is that Lauer is a genuinely perceptive interviewer, which Kelly palapably isn't.

Comment

It's worth revisiting the way in which Curry was forced out and Lauer's complicity therein.

“Curry felt that the boys’ club atmosphere behind the scenes at Today undermined her from the start, and she told friends that her final months were a form of professional torture.”
                  There have been rumours about Lauer for years, not quite to Weinsteinian levels, but still very prominent here in New York. I think NBC also saw the latest report as confirmation of prior stories.

Today has been on the skids ever since they got rid of Dave Garroway and J. Fred Muggs

My mother and I got on air a few times in that era when walking behind the window onto Rockefeller Center.

Comment

So that isn't Harry Speakup?

Comment

Dunno. Did Muggs play in Britain under a different name?

And another frequent subject of rumours bites the dust

https://twitter.com/AP/status/935921836856172546

Comment

Mogason Keillor? where will this end?

Comment

I'm going to have to find out where Ursus keeps his collection of rumours.

Comment

Who could have ever known that Garrison Keillor was a creep?

"The Front Seat", Garrison Keillor

I fell in love in the front seat of a '56 Ford
                            At a drive-in movie, sliding over toward
                            A girl in shorts and necking a little
                            on a bench seat, no gearshift in the middle.

She was young and eager — it didn't take much
                            To slip her in gear and let out the clutch
                            But the beautiful bench where we performed our feats
                            Has been replaced by two bucket seats

And a brake lever, gearshift, and armrest
                            Between me and the girl I love best,
                            Which is sensible and safer, perhaps,
                            Two people restrained by safety straps,

But if safety were all that people thought of
                            Then who would ever fall in love?
                            Listen to him read "She was young and eager — it didn't take much/To slip her in gear and let out the clutch" aloud to be truly grossed out.

Comment

Isn't that basically the premise of Grease. or the Fonz?

Comment

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/935973086519840776

Comment

Ooh. The facilities contractors Stone complicit. Nah but this isn’t systematic at all. That’s just hysterical.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                    Mogason Keillor? where will this end?
                                    I’m sure there were rumours or accusations against Johnny Morris at the height of Yewtree. Johnny fuckin Morris man. Everyone on light entertainment Telly till at least the late eighties should just be interned on the Isle of Man/graves desecrated as a precaution.

Comment

“I’ve got a copy of the 1979 Christmas Radio Times. Or as it’s known now, the Sex Offenders Register.”

Comment

Aunty's Christmas Gropers

Comment

I always thought Matt Lauer was a smug dick who was terrible at interviews. Fuck that guy.

Comment

That's the kind of instruction that got Lauer in trouble in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                              I’m sure there were rumours or accusations against Johnny Morris at the height of Yewtree. Johnny fuckin Morris man. Everyone on light entertainment Telly till at least the late eighties should just be interned on the Isle of Man/graves desecrated as a precaution.
                                              I recall rumours that Johnny Morris was a member of the National Front but have never been able to substantiate them.

Comment

Aw for fuck sake.

Comment

As a youngster about 9 years old on a school trip to Twycross Zoo, Johnny Morris told us to "Bugger off out of the way" as a group of us followed him around asking him to make the animals talk.

Comment

I know someone who worked with Johnny Morris on voiceovers etc at the end of his career. Very pleasant but arrived with four cans of lager.

No evidence of paedophilia or Far right beliefs as far as I know

Comment

Working...
                                                    X