No announcement yet.

The Downfall of Harvey Weinstein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This level of professed ignorance of one's own company has worked out Ok for the Murdochs

Comment

Your brother?

Comment

No, he was infallible.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          My understanding is that Harvey does not have economic control over the firm, but the only way this could be true is if they have one of the worst corporate governance mechanisms I've ever seen.
          20% ownership is what I've read. I've also read that this whole thing was precipitated by Bob as a way of finally ousting him from the company so he could run it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
            So, er, how come Brad Pitt has been so quiet on this?
            It’s not his story to tell.

A lot of conservatives were saying that “liberal Hollywood” was silent about these allegations last week. But then this week there have been a series of exclusive interviews in magazines. So I suspect that everyone’s publicist set up an exclusive with whatever entertainment rag they like the most, with conditions on what questions they couldn’t ask.

And that’s why Clooney, Streep, and Damon etc didn’t answer the phone last week. Because they’d made an exclusive deal and didn’t want to undercut a reporter that they like.

There are other industries that work that way too, but you’d think this situation would call for being more proactive. Even when the worst thing to hit the industry is happening, Hollywood’s gonna Hollywood.

However, Ben Affleck just posted on Facebook. I guess he couldn’t find a reporter that agreed to his conditions.

Tom Hanks addresses it in a long interview in the NYT yesterday that wasn’t even mostly about this, so it was planned long before. It’s mostly about his new book of short stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
              No, Henry Winkler is, by all accounts, a saint.

But the Fonz character, especially in the early episodes, could snap his fingers and one or more “chicks” would be at his side immediately. It was all in good fun and light-hearted family entertainment. But a guy who was like that in real life would probably end up being a creep sooner or later, because he’d still think he was entitled to women’s affection long after he ceased to be cool.

As I recall, the writers knew that and in later seasons, the Fonz settled down, jumped a shark on waterskis and got then married and his stepdaughter was played by the girl from Poltergeist who died, sadly.
              Those seasons never pierced my brain or else never made UK reruns. I’ve heard of jumping the shark, obvs, but I can’t remember seeing it. I do remember Chachi and Joanie plot lines though. I guess the idea was that Chachi would be Mr Supercool mini-Fonz, and then they set up a Monica and Chandler type thing. Fuck, Chachi was about as cool as Ross from fuckin Friends.
              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 12-10-2017, 20:23.

Comment

I watched it a lot in syndication in the late 80s and, as I recall, they mostly played the earlier ones, but I did catch some of the later ones. The ones where the hang-out is Arnold's, played by Pat Morita, whereas later on it was Al's. I forget that actor's name. Also, the earlier ones' used Rock Around the Clock as the theme, IIRC. Not the Happy Days song. I also vaguely recall watching it with my whole family when it was on originally. Somehow at age four or five I really liked Fonzi. He just seemed like a funny character.

So, needless to say, I came into adolescence with some odd ideas about how boy-girl courtship worked.

Comment

Spare a thought for those BBC editors who, having finally finished searching through the archives to delete all the Savile and Harris clips, now have to re-check all their shows featuring fun Harvey.

Graham Norton had him on promoting some movie a while back, all buddies on the couch, prepped anecdotes and sycophantic laughs. Yuk.

Comment

HP is probably hip enough to know what 'whatever happened to Chuck?' means.

Comment

“Theme from” Happy Days is a far better Choon than Wild Bill Haley’s vanilla big band flavored guff. The ones with the Italian American Al, those I remember most, but maybe they cut the last season or so from the near constant rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                        HP is probably hip enough to know what 'whatever happened to Chuck?' means.
                        I do, but I don't know the answer to the question.
                        Similarly, the Bradys had a dog named Tiger that was written out.
                        Later on they added Cousin Oliver. The "add a cute kid" gambit has been tried with a number of sitcoms, usually to poor effect.

Also, on later Happy Days, a cousin(?) moved in with them played by that one guy who was in that thing. You know the one.

The Simpsons referenced all this in the classic Poochie episode when suddenly there was a hip kid named Roy, IIRC, living with them who called Marge Mrs. S.

For those who have no idea what this is about:
                        http://mentalfloss.com/article/18239...ngham-syndrome
                        Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 12-10-2017, 20:44.

Comment

You used to get thumbs aloft movable arm “Action figure” Fonz toys. Going “Ayyhh!” and wielding some Maccaesque opposables never cut it against Beastman or Skeletor. No help to He Man or that Man at Arms lackey.

Comment

The cousin must be fuckin Chachi man, Fonzi’s son he never had (his cousin). Fuckin Scott Baio man. Until like 5 minutes ago I thought Tony Danza and Scott Baio were one and the same person.
                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 12-10-2017, 20:54. Reason: What the fuck was up with my typing?

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                              You used to get thumbs aloft movable arm “Action figure” Fonz toys. Going “Ayyhh!” and wielding some Maccaesque opposables never cut it against Beastman or Skeletor. No help to He Man or that Man at Arms lackey.
                              Somebody I knew had the action figure with the motorcycle, but we didn't. I think there might have been other characters available too. I just couldn't imagine many "action" scenarios to play out with them.

Edit: Confirmed!
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei-L8rVkuxY
                              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 12-10-2017, 20:52.

Comment

Te co-sign. Must be fuckin Chachi man, Fonzi’s son he never had (his cousin). Fuckin Scott Baio man. Until like 5 minutes ago I thought Tony Danza and Scott Baio were one and the same person.
                                No, it was a different cousin. Roger. I looked it up.
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Phillips

Comment

They were passed down toys by the time I was a nipper. When your cousin hit 8 and got all into dinosaurs, you inherit the detritus tat of a kid pop culture lifetime ago. The first to fall in the big battles, just like the evil Kenivel bike toy that half worked.

Comment

They were passed down toys by the time I was a nipper. When your cousin hit 8 and got all into dinosaurs, you inherit the detritus tat of a kid pop culture lifetime ago. The first to fall in the big battles, just like the evil Kenivel bike toy that half worked.
                                    We had that Evil Kenieval. My dad made a ramp. I can remember watching my brother play with it in our old house (so between 1972-1975) and my uncle's first wife was there. What a random memory.

Comment

I bought that for my best mate for Christmas 1977!

Comment

The Bronze Fonz in Milwaukee is right up there with that statue of Cristiano Ronaldo, IMO.

Comment

I'm not sure I should let this disrespect of Man at Arms slide. He was, more or less, He-Man's father in law and mentor. An important standard figure in any fantasy/quest type deal.

Comment

“Theme from” Happy Days is a far better Choon than Wild Bill Haley’s vanilla big band flavored guff. The ones with the Italian American Al, those I remember most, but maybe they cut the last season or so from the near constant rotation.
                                            Very true, but Haley was up against Rosemary Clooney and Ruby Murray, so of course he sounded radical to kids who knew of no black music.

Louis Jordan, 11 years earlier, rocked more than Haley, and if the charts and pop media had been around in 1944, he'd be given the rock and roll pioneer credit that Haley lucked on to.

Comment

Man at Arms should have taken Greyskull in the name of the unseen grunts who laid down their lives for that feckless fop Prince Adam. But nah, the peasants of Eternia suffer on, while the macho skirmishes with Skeletor continue unabated. Class traitor.

Comment

And at least he should have kept that fucking floating wizard comic relief thing well away from Court.

Comment

We had that Evil Kenieval. My dad made a ramp. I can remember watching my brother play with it in our old house (so between 1972-1975) and my uncle's first wife was there. What a random memory.
                                                  Mine is still in my parents' basement. Motorbike, winder-upper, ramp, and camper van. Damn, but I was big into EK in the '70s.

Comment

I do, but I don't know the answer to the question.
                                                    Similarly, the Bradys had a dog named Tiger that was written out.
                                                    Later on they added Cousin Oliver. The "add a cute kid" gambit has been tried with a number of sitcoms, usually to poor effect.

Also, on later Happy Days, a cousin(?) moved in with them played by that one guy who was in that thing. You know the one.

The Simpsons referenced all this in the classic Poochie episode when suddenly there was a hip kid named Roy, IIRC, living with them who called Marge Mrs. S.
                                                    Nicely done, Reed.

But can you name (or convincingly reference) the aborted spinoff from The Brady Bunch? And no, not The Brady Brides or any of those.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X