No announcement yet.

The Downfall of Harvey Weinstein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batali puts garlic in his Amatriciana recipe. And Ragu Bolognese from memory. No surprises he’s a Wrong ‘Un.

Comment

There was John Besh a few weeks ago...I'm just waiting to find out something about Bobby Flay (unless there have already been accusations and I missed them).

Comment

Not yet

Comment

A friend's daughter is a junior chef. It sounds medieval, overworked, underpaid, harassment and substance abuse are routine. She's had about a dozen jobs in three years. Some bad, most worse.

Comment

All aspects of the “hospitality” industry are infested with pigs and have been for yonks.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              All aspects of the “hospitality” industry are infested with pigs and have been for yonks.
              No, sorry, it's oinks.

It's not like you were told? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66zVGG2uPG0

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                A friend's daughter is a junior chef. It sounds medieval, overworked, underpaid, harassment and substance abuse are routine. She's had about a dozen jobs in three years. Some bad, most worse.
                Restaurant Kitchen staff make bartenders look sober and retiring if you come across a house party full of them. So much dirty white nosebag, so many hilarious awful stories (and plenty more that are just plain awful). Those hours, egomaniac head chefs and thieving restaurant owners, working at close quarters and usually underpaid (yeah scum, you should be grateful for the “experience” you’re getting, never mind the pay). And lots and lots of borderline personality disorders.

Can’t imagine surviving the lower rungs doing all the work stuff for more than 5 years.
                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 13-12-2017, 19:47.

Comment

I can’t tell if Bruno is being serious, but I haven’t seen any call for Levine’s recordings to be withdrawn, anymore than there are calls to erase the Mirimax catalogue. If anyone feels tainted by having his wrk in their collection, I would happily pay postage.

He was scheduled to conduct some performances of Boheme in the spring, but those have also suffered from unrelated singer withdrawals (Tyrfel a few days ago) and may not happen.

It is the Met board that is coming under fire, and rightly so.

Comment

Someone can personally decide they do not feel comfortable listening to Levine's recordings but there is no way that corporate bodies should deny them the choice.

I still enjoy Phil Spector's work. Ditto Polanski, Richard Wagner, Oscar Wilde. I would only avoid work if it advocated the behaviour of the abuser, such as if Oscar Wilde had written major work about men having sex with boys below 16, which AFAIK he did not. As a parallel, I enjoy Wagner but not Leni Riefenstahl.

Comment

It's complicated. What's the point of boycotting someone who's dead, like Wagner? If you want to boycott Woody Allen's work as a form of protest, that's something else entirely.

And someone working for Woody Allen would obviously know of the ongoing controversy, so boycotting them as well shouldn't cause you grief. I feel badly for the people in CK's latest film, as they're being penalized for something they didn't do. But on balance, that's the far smaller of the crimes being committed.

Comment

Meanwhile, more on Weinstein's vileness emerges

Comment

He really does seem the worst of this batch, and the one with the widest network of complicit enablers.

Comment

Russell Simmons now.

Comment

Highly unsurprising

Comment

Accusations about Simmons have been around for a few weeks now, though these seem to be a new level of seriousness.

Comment

I was thinking of another person with that surname (associated with a notorious lack of self-awareness).

Comment

And now it appears Peter Jackson wilfully blocked Mira Sorvino and Ashley Judd on the "advice" of the Weinstein brothers.

Comment

Yeah. My reading of it is that he was more an unwitting accomplice than an actual perpetrator. He seems to have taken HW at his word that they were pains in the ass to work with, rather than knowingly engaging in something nefarious.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                        Yeah. My reading of it is that he was more an unwitting accomplice than an actual perpetrator. He seems to have taken HW at his word that they were pains in the ass to work with, rather than knowingly engaging in something nefarious.
                                        And you'd be happy to affect someone's future employment based on hearsay evidence?

An accomplice after the fact, surely?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                          And now it appears Peter Jackson wilfully blocked Mira Sorvino and Ashley Judd on the "advice" of the Weinstein brothers.
                                          Fucker has made three good films. I’m counting his last as Heavenly Creatures (his first for Miramax?). Fuck the hairy toed fantasy bollocks. Let alone the King Kong farrago.
                                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 16-12-2017, 02:01. Reason: Poor choice of words.

Comment

And you'd be happy to affect someone's future employment based on hearsay evidence?
                                            I think if you were casting dozens of 'large' roles and heard that one or two people on your long list were 'pains in the ass' from a respected, long-career producer, you wouldn't think too hard about striking them off. I hear 'hearsay' evidence about people in my trade all the time. It's called your reputation, and it usually precedes you.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                              Maybe they are pains in the ass to work with in addition to being victims of a evil person?

Comment

I think that's how the business work, apart from any of the gross power imbalances or gross abuse and harassment. If you're going to be stuck working closely with somebody for five or six months, 15 hours a day, etc, you want them to be agreeable. No doubt, the notions of what counts as "agreeable" in that business are heavily gendered and sexist, but I can't blame Jackson for trying to find out what certain actors, male or female, are like to work with before hiring them.

That's not different from any other business. Prospective employers of a job candidate talk to their former employers and, maybe, colleagues, etc. Though the threat of litigation has led many references to refuse to give any more information than simply confirming dates of employment, etc.

EDIT: WOM said the same thing much more succinctly

Comment

The gender aspect is troubling.

Comment

Batali includes a link to a recipe for pizza dough cinnamon rolls in an apology to his fans.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X