The Downfall of Harvey Weinstein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Downfall of Harvey Weinstein?

So, if you're looking at the news at all, you know that the NYT has done a big piece on Harvey Weinstein sexually harassing pretty young actors and assistants for (apparently) the past three decades. It's explosive, for sure, but not at all surprising.

I went on a movie-book bender last year, some of which were very detailed on Miramax, the Weinstein Company, and the brothers in general.

Harvey, without mincing words, is a monster. He's violent, abusive, has enormous anger issues and is tyrannical in almost all of his dealings. That said, I don't recall any reference to him sexually harassing young female actors.

Which is odd, sort of. When I read Going Clear, about Scientology, they were absolutely casual about John Travolta being gay. It was as if it was so well known that litigation would have been laughable. Yet there was absolutely zero reference to Tom Cruise being gay, when that's pretty much been the worst kept secret in Hollywood for two decades. So either Tom Cruise is really frightening and litigious, or everyone's had it all wrong for most of his adult life. Hmm.

To bring that back to HW, he's either kept this whole harassment / payoff / hide in plain sight doing Liberal causes thing going very well, or people were too frightened to write about it.

Given the depth of the Times piece, and the (reported) upcoming New Yorker piece on the same topic, I'd say it's the latter. HW is already talking big lawsuit against The Times. We'll see if that goes anywhere. But it could be the end of him in Hollywood, as Variety says.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/u...T.nav=top-news

Maybe what we now call sexual harassment was normal practice. Coerced sex was pretty much seen as a perk by movie bosses. What was Marilyn Monroe's memorable line again? "This means I'll never have to suck another cock again," she said after signing the richest contract for an actress.

Comment

Cruise is definitely very litigious. Surprised the scary freaks in Scientology haven’t been slapping cease and desist on any reporting of Travolta though.

Comment

They'll be after you for that.

Comment

Long overdue (Weinstein I mean, I don't give two hoots what gender Travolta or Cruise's shagging partners are).

Comment

I take it everyone in the industry already knows fine well he’s a rapey sleazebag as well as a total fucking mook. Would this kind of stuff come up on security clearances when he was being all Mr Philanthropy with the Clintons etc?

Comment

Down and Dirty Pictures by Peter Biskind....that's the one that's heavy on the Miramax / The Weinsteins, if you're in any way interested. It's a great read.
              Its predecessor was Easy Riders, Raging Bulls, which is also highly recommended.

Comment

Spooky, you don’t need a security clearance to throw lavish parties for the Clintons or to give them millions in campaign contributions.

I do, however, wonder just what kind of assurances the Obamas got before they allowed their daughter to intern for him.

Comment

Those are damn good books, WOM, especially on the toxic loathsomeness of Friedkin and Bogdanovic. Fuck I was naively thinking anyone in prolonged contact with Big Shot Pols was discretely vetted and scanned to the nth degree.

Is Spooky a typo or comment? Should have stayed off the stupid smoke tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                    Those are damn good books, WOM, especially on the toxic loathsomeness of Friedkin and Bogdanovic. Fuck I was naively thinking anyone in prolonged contact with Big Shot Pols was discretely vetted and scanned to the nth degree.

Is Spooky a typo or comment? Should have stayed off the stupid smoke tonight.
                    If the Democrats refused to take any money from anyone until they were thoroughly investigated and cleared, they'd have a lot less money. The people who have the money are rich and powerful, and a certain percentage of powerful people will always be corrupted by it.Though, I'm pretty sure neither Bill Gates or Warren Buffet have every sexually assaulted anyone. They could probably cover it up if they did, but it just doesn't seem like their style.

Presumably, the Ms. Obama has some kind of security person with her, no? Maybe she wasn't interning for him directly.

Comment

Sacked: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41546694

"in light of new information about misconduct" his employment had been terminated "effective immediately"

Stuff they didn't previously know, or stuff they couldn't feign ignorance of any longer?

[/cynic]

Comment

I read a good tweet last night that said 'Remember, they didn't sack him because they found out he was sexually harassing women. They sacked him because YOU found out.'

Comment

I know a good few people who have worked at TWC (though all have since moved on). It is surprising this has made it to the news cycle as it always seemed impossible. I must have overlooked the strength of a late career dethroning.

Comment

Popbitch have talked about his conduct for some time, as they were quick to point out in last week's mail-out.

Comment

And, of course, this thing keeps growing. In addition to the women who now feel emboldened to tell their stories (3 or 4 more, with names and dates, so far...), it's being reported that Matt Damon and Russell Crowe (both in career-debt to HW) helped spike this story when it was close to emerging back in 2004. If true, that should (in a just world) be the end of them.

Comment

it's being reported that Matt Damon and Russell Crowe (both in career-debt to HW) helped spike this story when it was close to emerging back in 2004. If true, that should (in a just world) be the end of them.

Has Crowe actually got a career left for this to destroy?

Donna Karan's appalling victim-blaming spiel in mitigation of the bold Harv yesterday will hopefully come back to bite her too. It'd have been a horribly misogynistic thing to say in any context, but in light of the allegations mounting up it's a spectacularly tone-deaf thing for her to come out with.

Comment

The whole of luvvie-land seems to be handling this very badly. I don't trust any of the Streeps or Ruffalos with their self-serving "I'm utterly horrified; of course, I'd never neard anything about this before - despite acting for him for decades and repeatedly interacting with people he did assault" stuff. But that's much less grim than Karan (or the Damon if he did spike the story).

Comment

No, the plausible deniability factor for your Streeps and Clooneys is laughably low. You don't get much more Hollywood-insider than those two, so they must be among the worst informed Hollywood insiders ever. Unfortunately, Kevin Smith is basically Harvey Weinstein's armchair biographer, so it's especially egregious coming from him.

Comment

Dunno about that.

The last time that evidence emerged that a well-known media figure was guilty of serial sexual assault over a period of twenty plus years, this country elected him President.

Comment

The New Yorker story is now out. It's heavy.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...-their-stories

Comment

Paltrow and Jolie now also on record

Comment

The media in the UK has survived Saville etc as well. I’d imagine there’s a bit of abuse fatigue among the public now, like it’s almost expected from those in positions of power now. Mibees a bit of the revulsion toward the church in Ireland was due to the exalted position they held till the Casey revelations, and possibly societal transference of guilt and complicity (a whole load of people from every townland must have known that so and so was a rum old Brother, that old priest had wandering hands etc, but did nothing about it)
                                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 10-10-2017, 17:24.

Comment

I just can't

Comment

A week ago I didn't know who this man was; now I've seen many, many pictures of his repulsive Jabba The Hutt-like being. It's a bit like the publicity given to gun murderers, that various studies say shouldn't be given. It's like that with Trump being pictured all over the place too. Rubbing our faces into how our society is so fucked up that these are the people who run it.

Sorry if that's dark, or too obvious to state, but brrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  I just can't

The Weirdest Man in 70’s cinema (which is saying something) keeping that keen sense of perspective so. I’m still reeling from the thought of him and Natajassa (aye there’s for sure sp) Kinski as a couple, and it must be ten years since reading Easy Riders, Total Arseholes.
                                                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 10-10-2017, 20:04.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X