Club
    Actor
    Peter Lorre
    "New York, New York, all the scandal and the vice"

Teams
    UCLA, Lakers, Dodgers, Galaxy
    Biscuit
    Trader Joe's Maple Leaf cookies
    The Mario Batali news didn't surprise me at all. Not that I was expecting him to be named, but when I read about it, my reaction was "yeah, I can see that."

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    Quote Originally Posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Lizza looks like pharma-bro's long-lost slightly-less-evil twin.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
    Teams
    Penn State, Cincinnati Reds, State College Spikes
    Biscuit
    Girl Scout Thin Mints
    Actor
    Patton Oswalt
    It makes sense, I guess, that these things would all happen in a world that is interconnected as, I assume, the NYC culture scene is. If one guy is getting away with it without any consequences for himself, then others will see that's an option and do it. Meanwhile, the people on their boards and what not - who are probably often a lot of the same people for every different cultural institution - appear to have decided that they'd rather let it slide then lose the "talent," and I can see how they'd be incentivized to do that. If one balllet, for example, decides it's not going to put up with this shit, but all the other ones continue to tolerate it, then that ballet will just lose talented-but-awful people to those other ones and it won't really make a huge dent in the total amount of awfulness in the world because they'll just go do the same shit at that other place.

So it's helpful that this is all whipping up into a firestorm right now rather than just coming out drip by drip over many years and that women are talking to the press, rather than just suing and settling behind closed doors. Because now it's much harder to just quietly shuffle a bad-actor can just be quietly shuffled off to another job or city or just pay-off the plaintiff to make it go away.

It also makes me so glad that I work at home.

Couldn't tell Lou Reed from Doug Yule
    Teams
    Raith Rovers/Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Abernethies
    Batali puts garlic in his Amatriciana recipe. And Ragu Bolognese from memory. No surprises he’s a Wrong ‘Un.

Teams
    Biscuit
    There was John Besh a few weeks ago...I'm just waiting to find out something about Bobby Flay (unless there have already been accusations and I missed them).

Not yet

Don't worry, it'll soon be over
    Teams
    QPR, Hitchin Town
    Biscuit
    Fig Roll
    Actor
    Klaus Kinski (if he was alive, like)
    A friend's daughter is a junior chef. It sounds medieval, overworked, underpaid, harassment and substance abuse are routine. She's had about a dozen jobs in three years. Some bad, most worse.

All aspects of the “hospitality” industry are infested with pigs and have been for yonks.

Teams
    Celtic/Yankees/Arsenal/Sparta Rotterdam
    Biscuit
    TRIIIIIIIIIIIIO's
    Quote Originally Posted by ursus arctos View Post
    All aspects of the “hospitality” industry are infested with pigs and have been for yonks.
    No, sorry, it's oinks.

It's not like you were told? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66zVGG2uPG0

James Levine was the best conductor I ever sang under, a stone cold genius. I guess now they'll pull all his recordings from circulation? I guess that's fine? Everyone in the biz knew the rumors about him in the 80s and 90s. They weren't just rumors. I remember feeling weird about it but being mesmerized and moved by his truly inspiring musical talent. So it goes.

Oh, I also remember feeling like the rumors might've been an expression of homophobia, because they were often couched in homophobic terms.

Couldn't tell Lou Reed from Doug Yule
    Teams
    Raith Rovers/Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Abernethies
    Quote Originally Posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
    A friend's daughter is a junior chef. It sounds medieval, overworked, underpaid, harassment and substance abuse are routine. She's had about a dozen jobs in three years. Some bad, most worse.
    Restaurant Kitchen staff make bartenders look sober and retiring if you come across a house party full of them. So much dirty white nosebag, so many hilarious awful stories (and plenty more that are just plain awful). Those hours, egomaniac head chefs and thieving restaurant owners, working at close quarters and usually underpaid (yeah scum, you should be grateful for the “experience” you’re getting, never mind the pay). And lots and lots of borderline personality disorders.

Can’t imagine surviving the lower rungs doing all the work stuff for more than 5 years.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 13-12-2017 at 20:47.

I can’t tell if Bruno is being serious, but I haven’t seen any call for Levine’s recordings to be withdrawn, anymore than there are calls to erase the Mirimax catalogue. If anyone feels tainted by having his wrk in their collection, I would happily pay postage.

He was scheduled to conduct some performances of Boheme in the spring, but those have also suffered from unrelated singer withdrawals (Tyrfel a few days ago) and may not happen.

It is the Met board that is coming under fire, and rightly so.

I wasn't being entirely serious. His recordings are of course giant collaborative efforts, but then again look what happened to I Love You Daddy. There have been plenty of equally ill-behaved or worse conductors who have survived commercially. It goes in the "Karajan was a Nazi" category. Everyone should have the poignant and cognitive-dissonance inducing experience, though, of seeing someone they respect for the highest reasons based on first-hand exposure get taken down.

I'm not back, no worries, just popping in.

If you can't say anything nice...
    Teams
    Barnsley
    Biscuit
    Club
    Actor
    Peter Lorre
    Someone can personally decide they do not feel comfortable listening to Levine's recordings but there is no way that corporate bodies should deny them the choice.

I still enjoy Phil Spector's work. Ditto Polanski, Richard Wagner, Oscar Wilde. I would only avoid work if it advocated the behaviour of the abuser, such as if Oscar Wilde had written major work about men having sex with boys below 16, which AFAIK he did not. As a parallel, I enjoy Wagner but not Leni Riefenstahl.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    It's complicated. What's the point of boycotting someone who's dead, like Wagner? If you want to boycott Woody Allen's work as a form of protest, that's something else entirely.

And someone working for Woody Allen would obviously know of the ongoing controversy, so boycotting them as well shouldn't cause you grief. I feel badly for the people in CK's latest film, as they're being penalized for something they didn't do. But on balance, that's the far smaller of the crimes being committed.

Leftist Dad
    Biscuit
    You can't whack a custard cream

He really does seem the worst of this batch, and the one with the widest network of complicit enablers.

Teams
    Biscuit