I Can't Believe X was younger than Y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Can't Believe X was younger than Y

Liz Dawn (b.1939) was two years younger than Barbara Windsor (b.1937) but always looked older.

There are presumably many other examples of this in film and TV so I thought I would start a thread on it rather than divert the Liz Dawn thread.

X= Most of Hollywood these days
    Y = Me

Comment

Johnny Depp being older than Nigel Farage still surprises me.

Comment

At the risk of derailing a derailment, and possibly something we've done before, the casting of The Graduate takes some unpicking on Wikipedia:

There are considerable age discrepancies between the lead roles and the actors who portrayed them. Benjamin Braddock says, "I will be 21 next week "; at the time of filming, Dustin Hoffman was 29.
        William Daniels, who plays Hoffman's father, was, at 39, only 10 years older than Hoffman.
        Mrs. Robinson states, "Benjamin, I am twice your age." Anne Bancroft was 35, only six years older than Hoffman.
        Mrs. Robinson's daughter Elaine is 19 and was portrayed by Katharine Ross, who was 27 at the time.
        Elaine May, who portrayed Elaine's college roommate and delivered a note to Benjamin from Elaine, was 35 at the time and only seven months younger than Anne Bancroft.
        Mrs. Singleman and Miss DeWitte, party guests in one of the Taft Hotel scenes, were said to be sisters, though there was a 38-year age difference between their portrayors, Alice Ghostly (age 44) and Marion Lorne (age 82).

Comment

I struggle with the fact that Dustin Hoffman is now an octogenarian.

In reaching that landmark, he's two months ahead of Bobby Charlton - which, to me at least, seems weird.
          Last edited by Jah Womble; 06-10-2017, 18:03.

Comment

Bobby charlton was only late twenties when he won the World Cup? That just seems wrong. Thought he was grizzled old veteran by then. It’s all in the combover I guess.
            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 06-10-2017, 22:07. Reason: No good at sums

Comment

Gary Coleman was 46 when he played 11 year old Arnold Jackson in "Diff'rent Strokes". He was actually 4 years older than actor Conrad Bain, who played his on-screen Dad Philip Drummond.
              Last edited by lackedpunch; 06-10-2017, 22:05.

Comment

We could ,and probably have, do a thread about screen parents who are only a few years older than their children, Sean Connery fathered screen son Dustin Hoffman in "family business " just before his 7th birthday, Dr Henry Jones was 12 when Indiana was born though my favourite was "Frasier " when Marty Crane served in Korea, joined the police, met, dated and married Hester Crane and fathered Frasier, all before his fifteenth birthday

Comment

Going by The Manchurian Candidate, Angela Lansbury had Lawrence Harvey at the age of three...

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                    We could ,and probably have, do a thread about screen parents who are only a few years older than their children, Sean Connery fathered screen son Dustin Hoffman in "family business " just before his 7th birthday, Dr Henry Jones was 12 when Indiana was born though my favourite was "Frasier " when Marty Crane served in Korea, joined the police, met, dated and married Hester Crane and fathered Frasier, all before his fifteenth birthday
                    The other way of viewing that phenomenon is that the children were all born 'old'. Which admittedly doesn't bear a great deal of thinking about.

Comment

Good point though. Frasier Crane was clearly never a boy, was he now?

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                        Good point though. Frasier Crane was clearly never a boy, was he now?
                        Not sure, but it's always good to be reminded that Kelsey Grammer's father-in-law is journeyman 1980s lower-league striker Alan Walsh.

Comment

Working...
                        X