No announcement yet.

Heartbreaking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel I ought to contribute something to this thread, but quite honestly I'm not sure what, aside from general sympathies to TP's family. He was just one of those OK AM Dylanesque pop voices from the 70s, who wrote some decent tunes. Nothing life-changing or overly memorable, nothing paricular that made me laugh or cry. Perhaps it's just that with the musical losses of the past couple of years I feel a bit used up. Three years younger than me though. That always provides a bit of a shiver.

Comment

I never found him MOR. American Girl is perfect, it's one of my all time favourite songs. In fact, I was on holiday in the US last month and had it blaring through the car speakers.

Comment

I loved his first album. I didn't buy it, but Annie Nightingale played tracks from it every night for a month or two in late 76 and early 77, a time between the first Pistols gigs and the Damned album, and punk really getting revved up, around mid-77. So we were short of punk/new wave tracks, and he filled a gap, with interesting songs.

He seemed like a nice guy, which is sort of a feeble thing to say but I knew little about him apart from the odd appearance on the BBC, and never saw him live, to my knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
          I don't need a reason for this one, but, y'know:

On news of his death I dug out the compilation I have and the music was definitely better than I remembered it, though I have always really liked that track.

I think he sang "the A&R man said 'I don't hear a single'" from bitter experience.

Comment

You and I will meet again
            When we're least expecting it
            Somewhere in some far off place
            I will recognise your face
            I won't say goodbye my friend
            For you and I will meet again

RIP TP. You will be sadly missed.

Comment

US stadium sings Tom Petty tribute.

Comment

Working...