No announcement yet.

September's last hurrah: weekend matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won’t depress myself by running through the full details of Wimbledon v Rochdale as I’ve already whinged on the D3 thread.

I will share the highlight of the afternoon for me which was realising this chap wasn’t an away fan who had vaulted the hoardings to lurk near the dugout area but actually Rochdale’s manager :

I’m sure I’ve seen games where Keith Hill has been manager before but he’s never been sporting jeans, such faded ones too.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 30-09-2017, 18:58.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post
      Well, Shrewsbury managed to beat Scunny at home for the first time since the late 90s. Even first half, but Shrewsbury were very good in the second and overall deserved the win.

It's very rare these days for me to get riled at an opposition player (I've seen it all), but Neil (Neal) Bishop really is a cheating little twat. Sent most of the second half trying to get Jon Nolan sent off. Just play your game man.
      Sounds like the hope is sucking you back in...

Comment

[QUOTE=Ray de Galles;1352193]I won’t depress myself by running through the full details of Wimbledon v Rochdale as I’ve already whinged on the D3 thread.

I will share the highlight of the afternoon for me which was realising this chap wasn’t an away fan who had vaulted the hoardings to lurk near the dugout area but actually Rochdale’s manager :

I was wondering if he was in breaking bad, or something like that, before you spilled the beans.

Comment

Middlesbrough 2 Brentford 2

I might as well repeat the match report for the other 10 games this season. Splendid passing and attacking football, outplaying the expensive opposition for long periods but denied by a couple of defensive slip-ups and a lack of ruthlessness up front. And don't get me started on the referee.

Boro's squad looks frighteningly strong (Forshaw and Downing not even in the 18) but on the evidence of this performance, it looks like Monk has spent a lot of money and ended up with a worse team.

Comment

Takely 2-0 Clapton

Takely look certain to win the ESL this season. Big players who can defend and take the chances they get.

Refereeing was atrocious, capped off with the linesman attacking a player on the Clapton bench after being told to "get back in your own half". He had to be restrained by a number of players, stormed off the pitch and was eventually persuaded to come back for the last couple of minutes to ensure the game could be completed.

Later, in the clubhouse, it was discovered that the linesman in question was the son of match inspector.

Last edited by steveeeeeeeee; 01-10-2017, 09:49.

Comment

I was at the top of the table clash in the Conference ... never the National League ... never ... between Wrexham and Sutton.

Having scored early and thwarted the few chances Sutton created, we missed four gilt edged chances to wrap up the game ... including two one-on-ones with their keeper ... before conceding the inevitable equaliser in the 92nd minute. Both teams will probably be there or thereabouts at the end of the season as it's a shit league this year - we just need a goalscorer to turn these draws into wins.

Comment

Haringey Borough 4-1 Bideford AFC

Bideford, backed by about two dozen who'd made the trip from Devon, complete with drum and flag assortment, were very much in this game 'til half-time. Borough went ahead, but Bideford were knocking on the proverbial door up until the break. In the second-half Borough kicked on though, with pace and skill on the break to go 4-0 up before the visitors got a late, deserved consolation. Nice to see the visiting 'keeper shaking hands with the 'Boro fans who'd given him some good natured stick throughout at the end, and taking up their offer of one of their spare cans.

Quick note of credit for the ref too; looked a young lad but was in firm control throughout - kept talking, got the cards he dished out spot on, gave good advantage and really helped make it into the decent and enjoyable cup tie it was.

Haringey into the 4th qualifying round for the first time. The home supporters and substitutes stood near me were hoping to get Orient.

Comment

Millwall 1-3 Barnsley

Well I got the toxic atmosphere right, but my match prediction was miles out. We looked tight in defence, not bad in midfield and dangerous on the wings. Millwall were poor all over the pitch and we should have perhaps won by more. Lots of complaining about losing to teams like Barnsley from Millwall fans. Millwall fans!

Comment

Our next match is against Millwall. We should be beating #teamslikeMillwall.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                      Hope you didn't travel to far for the Eastleigh game, it was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.
                      I know this now. Sadly I didn't when I set off, from my home about ten miles away where it wasn't raining at all, and hadn't been much for the previous 48 hours, so therefore I had no clue that the game was off. Which gave me an afternoon of old men in the pub nudging each other and saying "Nipper there dint know game's off, did'e?". Eventually I tried to claim I'd come all the way from Chester, but they still wouldn't give me a free pint.

Comment

PHC Zebras 1-0 Dandy Town Hornets

A really good game, settled by a 83rd minute penalty, played in (for Bermuda) very wet and cold conditions. Usually, Bermudians hate playing any sport when rain, even in its drizzliest form, is falling. This time, both teams wanted to get on and play football in poor conditions, without once complaining (as far as I can tell), or doing that 'standing around with hands gripping sleeve cuffs and hunched shoulders' thing that denotes 'I don't want to be here'. Two wins out of two for PHC, two opening defeats for Dandy Town.

Oh, and well done Shrewsbury. Following the game as best I can over here, it seems we played OK but weren't clinical in the final third, whilst Shrewsbury deserved the win and their run continues. Sorry to hear about impressions of Bishop earlier, I always had him down as a hard working and 'combative' midfielder, and not a snide cheat. I don't like that sort of thing, even in my own players.
                        Last edited by Bermuda Iron; 02-10-2017, 12:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Uroš Predić View Post
                          Haringey Borough 4-1 Bideford AFC

Bideford, backed by about two dozen who'd made the trip from Devon, complete with drum and flag assortment, were very much in this game 'til half-time. Borough went ahead, but Bideford were knocking on the proverbial door up until the break. In the second-half Borough kicked on though, with pace and skill on the break to go 4-0 up before the visitors got a late, deserved consolation. Nice to see the visiting 'keeper shaking hands with the 'Boro fans who'd given him some good natured stick throughout at the end, and taking up their offer of one of their spare cans.

Quick note of credit for the ref too; looked a young lad but was in firm control throughout - kept talking, got the cards he dished out spot on, gave good advantage and really helped make it into the decent and enjoyable cup tie it was.

Haringey into the 4th qualifying round for the first time. The home supporters and substitutes stood near me were hoping to get Orient.
                          Agree with all that. First visit to Coles Park for me and will return (possibly for the 4th round qualifying). Thought Bideford started the brighter, but Boro knocked the ball around a lot better after the break. Superb hat trick for Ralston Gabriel, and even better method for running the clock down. Not sure drivers on White Hart Lane welcome the ball landing on their cars however. Referee was excellent and showed a great deal of common sense, wish he was reffing some League 2 games.

Comment

Bracknell Town 5 Oxford City Nomads 0

A new mangement team for the Robins of Lamb, McGrotty and Sweetman (who I assume are a Dickensian law-firm during the week). Bracknell raced into a four nil lead after about 30 minutes with four almost identical goals, all scored by the same player. A fifth was added just before half-time.

The second half began with the Bracknell left-back headbutting an Oxford player, so the game was played as 10 vs 11 for the remainder of the game.

Tuesday evening sees Bracknell travel to Oxford City Nomads for another league fixture. The Hellenic League fixture secretary has a lot to answer for.

Comment

Bath City 3 Hemel Hempstead 0. The magic of the cup fairly non-existent and an unrepresentative scoreline. All three goals scored in the injury times. The first in the first and the second and third in the second half. Bit unfair on Hemel as they weren't that bad. They weren't, however, that good either being fairly physical if not out and out dirty. Their supporters seemed enamoured with us shaking our hands as they left and calling us a proper club. Rather surreally, there were lots of rumours of Sol Campbell being seen around the ground with a view to managing us.

Comment

SV 07 Nauheim 2 SV 07 Geinsheim 0 (Gruppenliga Darmstadt).

Had just reffed the respective reserves of these clubs, and after having a shower went to collect my match fee from the woman on the gate. Watched for about ten minutes while gnawing on an over-grilled, under-spiced pork steak sandwich. Crowd was about 200, which is quite impressive for this level (there were about half that watching the reserves - possibly in Nauheim there's bugger all else to do on a Bank Holiday). I'm always surprised by how uninterested I am in the games that are on after I've reffed - years ago I'd probably have hung around until the end. Now I'm thinking, "Fuck me, this is dull, and everyone watching is an idiot." Because they yell indiscriminately at the ref for every call, and they're almost always wrong. And then I slope off home.

Comment

Rather than start a new midweek thread ;

Walton & Hersham 0 Guildford City 3

Elmbridge Xcel Sports Hub

In mentioning the ground previously I hadn’t quite done it justice by leaving out Xcel from the title. It really adds some much needed romance, coming as it does from the name of the adjoining swimming pool/leisure centre thing

W&H’s debut at their new stadium could hardly have been more different from the 7-0 swan song (see what I did there) that their old Stompond Lane home got a couple of weeks ago. They were absolutely and deservedly hammered by a well-organised but thoroughly obnoxious Guildford side.

The visitors number 7 was by far the worst of them, we first noticed him at half time being filmed on multiple phones by a posse of mates on the touchline proclaiming about something or other as if he were the subject of a documentary. He was later booked and managed to whine to the ref while simultaneously offering out a group of home fans. Sadly he scored the third and then tore half the length of the pitch to his entourage who obligingly filmed his celebrations which culminated in a mean, moody arms-crossed pose. You’re playing ninth tier football, you fucking prick.

His main contender for twattishness was their centre half who, having told a linesman to “Fuck off” was absolutely disgusted to get the reply “Oh, shut up!”. He then embarrassed himself with a stream of “What did you say to me...you can’t say that...tell the ref what you said, ref he told me to shut up”.

The ground is a functional typical council-run community affair with one pretty good main stand and bar at the top of it with views of the pitch. That could come in useful as, in contravention of one of the major tenets of football at this level, you can’t take you drink out with you due to “council rules”. I can see this being a major issue with the non-league cognoscenti.
                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 03-10-2017, 22:53.

Comment

I went to watch New Mills this evening. They were playing Kilburn, who turned out not to be from North London but from near Belper, which made more sense as this was a Derbyshire Cup tie. It turned out to be a very straightforward evening for the home side as they scored six in the first half and another four in the second to win 10-1. New Mills looked to be a good passing team, although as they are mid table in the First Division of the North West Counties, this probably said more about Kilburn.

Comment

Parkgate 2-4 Albion Sports

Hadn't expected much from this but turned out to be an excellent game, plenty of chances at both ends and some tidy football on display. All the goals came in the second half, including a Parkgate equaliser that went through the net (at the same end where the same thing happened last week) and the final goal coming when the Gate keeper ran way out of his goal and the sub knocked it into an empty net.

One of the assistant refs was from Norwich, which seems a long way to travel.

Comment

Carlton 2-2 Frickley.

Really exciting game of football. Carlton created loads of chances (the pitch this season is easily the best they've had it for years), but the former Poland international goalie (true) Stefan Malkowski in the Frickley goal was magnificent. Frustrating not to win, but came away having thoroughly enjoyed good company and a well-fought but clean game. Splendid stuff.

Comment

Sebastian Malkowski

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Małkowski

Comment

Working...
                                          X