No announcement yet.

Sending an offender down under? Ashes 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anderson and Broad are still the best bowlers England have but if one misfires or is less than 100% fit, the attack becomes thin.

Comment

Christ Woakes with a handy six-fer in the last warm up match. I wonder if Cook is the player they might be most worried about, form-wise.

Comment

Christ Woakes? He's a handy No8 and first-change seamer but he's not the messiah.

Anyway, what are people's series predictions? I can't see better than 4-1 Australia meself

Comment

I see no mistake.

I have a bet on the whitewash. Not that whitewash, obviously. Prediction - 3-1 Australia.

Re Woakes, I liked Agnew’s idea that his orthodox, backwards and forwards technique might be worth a go at the top of the order, given most of the other options so far have failed.
          Last edited by diggedy derek; 15-11-2017, 19:48.

Comment

4-0

Comment

Anderson has been cursed by the wisdom of the BBC crowd. If he's better than Larwood or Trueman, England have little to worry about.

Not the worst of it though: Border better than Hammond, seriously?

Comment

All manner of oddities in the Australia selections for the first two Tests

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                  All manner of oddities in the Australia selections for the first two Tests
                  I read that article and couldn't understand what Australia are doing. After previous series disasters the Australia selectors made some really bold choices that worked, these don't seem bold but crazy.

With a week to go I'll predict 3-2.

Comment

Stating "We want to raise the bar .. not reward mediocre performances" before recalling Shaun Marsh suggests that Mr. Hohns has a wicked sense of humour and a keen eye on the betting market.

3-0. Which I will regard as a moral victory.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                      Anderson has been cursed by the wisdom of the BBC crowd. If he's better than Larwood or Trueman, England have little to worry about.

Not the worst of it though: Border better than Hammond, seriously?
                      I don't think even Boycott believes he was better than Hutton.

Comment

An enjoyable read: Engel and Marks on the Ashes 1982-3. It seems incredible now that there was no radio commentary in the UK for the middle session. Good old Reithian paternalism, the workers need their sleep. (No TV coverage at all - when was the last England winter tour without telly?).

Comment

Was it Sky that started showing Ashes tours down under – I remember it being a novelty at one point.

Lots of rumours coming out about the Stokes case, one way or another – the Switch Hit and Analyst podcasts both note there's some talk doing the rounds, and that Stokes might be back, but nothing definitive. A charge you suppose is still possible.

Comment

Nice little interview with Cook this morning on the Radio 4 Sport where he said something like Lyon must have lost a bet and his forfeit was to say something stupid about England.

Comment

Right, if no one else will predict it, I will. England to win 3-1.

Comment

Australia 5-0. Think England will do OK in scoring runs though there'll probably be a couple of times when Australia's pace attack runs through them really cheaply. Will be a struggle to bowl Australia out twice, especially if Stokes doesn't make an appearance. Australia's selection is a bit off the wall but it just means they'll win this match by 200 runs instead of 300.

Comment

I think it's more likely to be the other way round, I don't think this Australian batting order is that great really, very dependent on Warner and Smith, and the recall of Paine highlights that their lower middle order is average. England will have to maximise the new ball, obviously.

But I just don't see England scoring enough runs to make the most of it. 3-2 Australia.

Comment

4-1 Australia. Think Cook will do well but Root could have another poor time down under. Broad and Anderson may also struggle with their age and the heat though they are both pretty fit. Think YJB will score some decent runs but some of England's more peripheral players - Stoneman, Malan and especially Ballance, Vince and Ball - will be a target for the verbal and could have confidence issues.

Comment

Same as ad hoc, 4-0.

Comment

3-1 Aus. It's Ashes Eve !! Winter can sod off. Snuggle under the bedclothes.

Comment

Listening to Mel Farrell on 5 live. If she agreed, I would marry her at close of play tomorrow.

Comment

England win toss and bat

Comment

Exciting innit?

Comment

Yep. Here come Cook and Stoneman.

Comment

Some awful facial hair from the Aussie bowlers. Movember?

Comment

Buggeration!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X