• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    First innings of this match:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1...aland-1973-74/

http://www.cricketcountry.com/cricli...me-test-518512

However, I think the Marshes might hold the record for brothers doing it batting at 5 and 6.

Thanks Satchmo and Greenlander. I felt sure it probably wasn’t the first time it had happened but TMS seemed frustratingly mute on the issue, though I did drift off to sleep soon after seeing the second Marsh century clinched.

Comment

I think Root is genuinely world class but has poorer shot selection than the other world class batsmen.

Comment

I'm not being optimistic at all. I'm just not going to join a pile-in on a team that mostly fought quite hard but were just nowhere near good enough. The inadequacy of the bowling behind Broad and Anderson has been apparent for ages, and though the absences of Finn, Roland-Jones and of course Stokes haven't helped, do we really think they'd have made a winning difference? The same goes for the confusion over who the most appropriate spinner(s) are. The ODI team has been rehabilitated in the Bayliss/Farbrace era but the Test team's stagnated horribly. This team has gone steadily backward since January 2016.

And given that there is now practically no first-class cricket in England in mid-summer, the only time when the weather and conditions might remotely resemble those experienced in Sydney or Chennai, this isn't going to get any better.

Still, franchised city T20s will solve everything, I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          I think Root is genuinely world class but has poorer shot selection than the other world class batsmen.
          Well, that means he is not genuinely world class. It's about playing the right shot at the right time.

Comment

Well, I don't know what your definition of world class is, but he's been consistently in the top 5 in the ICC rankings for quite a while now. And I think only two active players have a higher top rating than him (Smith and de Villiers).

Comment

He's also been hospitalised with severe dehydration

Comment

I think some batsmen have resumed an innings in a similar condition, but would you want your captain to do it a dead rubber, Ashes or no? I imagine that some idiots will see it as an acid test of his machismo and resilience, but I prefer compassion and precaution here.

On the world class issue, 5560 Test runs at 52.45 with a strike rate of 56.07 is one of the best records by an England batsman since the war. He'd be in an England XI of my lifetime without doubt, and maybe a post-1950s England XI. He's on the fringes of a World XI of this decade (he'd be in the reserve XI). He's been unfortunate to have his career coincide with that of Smith, who makes everyone else look average.

England have also been playing too much cricket this decade. Picking Root for the T20 hit and giggle doesn't help him remain fresh: http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...te-credentials
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 07-01-2018, 22:38.

Comment

Ah, poor Joe Root.

Comment

Cummins has been the best bowler in this particular game, although Starc has been better over the series as a whole. Cummins has perhaps shown the most durability of the three quicks. Hazlewood has fallen away slightly given that he has the worst average and strike rate of the three.

The wickets sharing is awesome - Starc 22, Cummins 23, Hazlewood 20, Lyon 21. Only parallel I can think of is 1979-80 (3 Tests): Garner 14, Croft 16, Holding 14, Roberts 11. Croft was perhaps the Cummins of that side - really nasty bowling at head and body of tail-enders but highly effective; OTOH he could also cut the ball (getting it to straighten despite bowling from wide of the crease) so had quite a bit more skill than Cummins.
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 08-01-2018, 03:13.

Comment

As most here know, Mitchell Starc is a relative of mine by marriage, but none of this group have yet earned comparison to the great West Indian bowlers.

Though Lyon would have been useful to those sides.

Comment

Good ol' rock, nothing beats that!

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          As most here know, Mitchell Starc is a relative of mine by marriage, but none of this group have yet earned comparison to the great West Indian bowlers.
                          Of course that's true, as per my sentence about why Croft was superior to Cummins. The comparison is more about Australia being greater than the sum of its parts, which was also true of the Windies at a much higher level of quality. Windies also had better slip catching, the best of all-time IMHO. Watch the 1979-80 series on Youtube and the catching is just ridiculously good.

Comment

Cummins was my pick of the Australian fast bowlers this series. Starc's probably a bit more consistent, but Cummins was the one who most often made you think, "England haven't got a comparable player to this." Very watchable and likeable too, and his ball that got Malan in the second innings at Adelaide felt like one of the pivotal moments of the series, as well as being possibly its best delivery (Starc got a bit lucky with that crack in Perth when he did Vince)

Comment

Statistical parallels between England's 4-0 defeats in India and Australia

http://www.espncricinfo.com/video/cl...b066f53afec5ee

Comment

The team batting average comparisons in those two series make for grim reading. As Vaughan said on BT sport's review the most disappointing thing has been that the pitches in this series have actually not been the fast, bouncy wickets we would have expected prior to the series, and therefore Eng should have managed much better scores. I dread to think what sort of scores they would have managed had the wickets been more typically Australian.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                  Two men claim Stokes saved them from homophobic attack

http://www.espn.co.uk/cricket/story/...ophobic-attack

The prosecution’s claim is almost exactly the opposite.
                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 06-08-2018, 15:33.

Comment

Startling indeed.

Comment

Stokes may have "saved them from homophobic attack" without actually having that motive, it being more of a pretext to attack the two homophobes simply because he was in pissed off mood at not being able to get in the club.

The bouncer's statement in Ray's link is quite damaging to Stokes, I would have thought.

I infer that Stokes did not realize how much CCTV footage existed of his prior interaction with the gay men before he took the ""saved them from homophobic attack" line of defence. OTOH what other mitigation does he have? Time will tell if/when he testifies.
                                      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 07-08-2018, 15:19.

Comment

I've only just worked out how the name of that nightclub is pronounced.

Comment

It seems strange that the judge has now summed up the case and the jury will begin deliberating yet the gay couple who have been referred to throughout have not (as far as the reporting I have seen) been called as witnesses.

I presume it must be because the interaction with them by Stokes or the other accused has very little bearing on their actual guilt or innocence of the charge.

I’ve only just seen this CCTV video of Stokes and the couple which certainly appears to paint him in a very bad light.
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-08-2018, 21:21.

Comment

Not guilty.

Comment

Acquitted on the Gerard defence?

Comment

The co-defendant was also found not guilty. I think when there is a big confused drunken fight, juries are often reluctant to convict because it's so hard to be sure beyond reasonable doubt what was in people's heads (ie whether they were reacting to a genuinely perceived threat). Hence why Stokes was tried for affray rather than assault in the first place. Beyond that I'd be reluctant to comment having not heard the evidence.

Comment

And now he's back on the other thread...

Comment

Vaughan: "proven to be Not Guilty"

That's one way of looking at it, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X