Sending an offender down under? Ashes 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
    I've never been a fan of nightwatchmen. A decent batter should trust himself to be able to play out a few overs.
    So Bairstow isn’t a decent batter? As for the conditions not being significantly worse than the morning (as Satchmo states) - there was shadow right down the middle of the pitch that exacerbated the problems of the new ball and the Australian bowlers being immediately pumped by Root’s dismissal.

If Anderson (or actually Crane who was padded up as the designated Nightwatchman) had been sent on and had their wicket taken there wouldn’t have been another batter sent in (as SB states) just as there wasn’t when Bairstow was out - they were close enough to the end of play to stop for the day.

You can raise every hypothetical objection to nightwatchmen in theory you like but it’s been proven in practise in this instance to have been a mistake not to employ one. England’s last proven, in form batsman has gone for 5 runs when he didn’t even need to be on the pitch. The fact that it was his decision rather than a coach or vice-captain (with Root on the pitch, who is vice-captain in Stokes’ absence btw?) for dubious reasons just rubs it in.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-01-2018, 22:31.

Comment

Crap. All my dodgy streams seem to be buggered this morning.

Comment

What a bloody catch!

Comment

Got one. In time to see a million replays of that catch. Damn, that's good.

Comment

Then a couple of terrible drops, the latter one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

Comment

What's going on here? Have the England batsmen and the Australian fielders both got different spot-bet match fixing deals going on?

Comment

Any decent bookie would refuse to pay them for being too obvious

Comment

Watching Stuart Broad bat these days is entertaining, but it would be an achievement if he made it to double digits of balls faced.

Comment

346 all out.

Comment

Australia have a chance to be the first team to ever complete a five (or more) Test series with only four (or fewer) wicket takers

Comment

England's bowling attack: Two old horses; an 8-year-old leggy; Miles from Accounts and someone who says in the pub that he's an all-rounder but can't do either. Proper touring team...

Comment

This fifth Test seems to only be going one way now, unless the pitch breaks up into a spinners' nirvana overnight (and even then, you'd expect Lyon to be the one to capitalize).

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                            So Bairstow isn’t a decent batter?
                            No, he patently is. That was kind of my point. And as it turned out he did back himself to survive. Obviously things don't always go to plan, but that doesn't mean it was the wrong decision.

Comment

Swann making Boycott seem reasonable and impartial

Comment

Woke up to see the score, is it as bad as it looks?

Comment

Hopefully.

Can only see one winner now?

Comment

Australia get a 300 lead. England lose by an innings and 100+ runs. 3-0 looked slightly harsh a week ago but now you'd say they were lucky to escape the whitewash. The difference I think is that we now have five Tests of proof that England cannot take 20 wickets whereas Australia can except on a totally unsuitable pitch.

Regarding TV I refer readers to my review of Bob Willlis in the Books forum. There is some serious dodginess in the history of some TV experts.

Comment

Unless England dismiss Australia I expect a declaration about half way through the second session with a lead of 300 plus. It's ridiculously hot apparently so why make your bowlers suffer when you can inflict so much pain.

Comment

Not sure if TMS have or will answer this - how many times have two brothers both clinched centuries while batting together in the same innings?

Comment

For Australia, the Chappells three times and Waughs twice. Other countries I dunno.

This match will last between 1 and 3 hours tomorrow.

Comment

I know the Chappel and Waugh brothers both managed centuries in the same innings, my question was have any other brothers both clinched theirs while actually in a partnership with their sibling.

Comment

First innings of this match:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1...aland-1973-74/

Both the batsmen stuck to their guns and stitched a massive partnership in the first innings of 264 runs. The skipper Ian raced towards his century in 207 deliveries while Greg’s innings was a classy display of impeccable timing and grace. Greg brought up his ton in just 160 deliveries. At the end of the day, Ian departed after edging one Webb for 145 but Greg remained unconquered on 162.
                                              http://www.cricketcountry.com/cricli...me-test-518512

However, I think the Marshes might hold the record for brothers doing it batting at 5 and 6.
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 07-01-2018, 15:49.

Comment

England had chances in Brisbane and Adelaide, and might have won at the MCG on a better pitch, so in that respect this has been a much better tour than 06-07 and 13-14.

But let's not kid ourselves that Australia won't comfortably superior, and that English Test cricket is in poor shape, and has been for a while. And it's going to get worse before it gets better

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                  I know the Chappel and Waugh brothers both managed centuries in the same innings, my question was have any other brothers both clinched theirs while actually in a partnership with their sibling.
                                                  I'm pretty certain the Flower's of Zimbabwe did so against Pakistan in 1995.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                                    England had chances in Brisbane and Adelaide, and might have won at the MCG on a better pitch, so in that respect this has been a much better tour than 06-07 and 13-14.

But let's not kid ourselves that Australia won't comfortably superior, and that English Test cricket is in poor shape, and has been for a while. And it's going to get worse before it gets better
                                                    I admire your optimism here E10, I'm struggling to find positives from this tour. Malan looks useful as does Overton, but Stoneman and Vince will be lucky to tour NZ. Cook and Broad had one good match and Anderson is 35 but is still the best bowler by a considerable way. Root is either affected too much by captaincy or is just one level below real world class. Sure Stokes coming back will help but that's papering over the cracks.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X