No announcement yet.

Sending an offender down under? Ashes 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECB: Ben Stokes and Alex Hales will not be considered for selection for England international matches until further notice

Comment

I like the line that Strauss has referred the pair to the "Cricket Discipline Commission". What other discipline commissions does the ECB have?

Comment

I like to console myself with the thought of Andrew Strauss's face of thunder when going down to see Stokes in the cells.

Still, at least we have some concrete evidence for my hypothetical 'who's the hardest' list for England Test sides. (At the bottom Cook, Broad, Ali, I think)

Comment

If Peter Willey doesn't top that list, I'd be surprised.

Comment

Hard Willey?

*climbs into tiny clown car, parps horn and drives away*

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
              ECB: Ben Stokes and Alex Hales will not be considered for selection for England international matches until further notice
              What has Hales done?

Comment

He's being defended on social media (majority opinion seems pro-Stokes) but the video is surely damning? It's a sustained attack which he refuses to stop even though given a chance to back off several times. There's quite a long time gap between the bottle swing and the KO punch. He had plenty of time to think it over.

And now there's also a video of him mocking Katie Price's disabled son.

But I'd predict that this will be one of those where the media will have it both ways: Stokes is a violent yob versus PC gone mad, depending on which page you are reading.
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 28-09-2017, 19:41.

Comment

Stokes shouldn't go after that. It will make no difference either way but his absence could be used an excuse. Brisbane and Perth definite Australian wins. Adelaide depends on toss because it is a day/night game. Melbourne and Sydney probably momentum results. I'd say 4-1 loss for England at best. Ballance, Malan and Vince won't last four overs against Starc/Patterson etc. Moeen struggles against short-ball. Cook also vulnerable to left-arm pace. Lyon streets away the best spinner in the series. I'd actually back him for most wickets in the series.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                    I like the line that Strauss has referred the pair to the "Cricket Discipline Commission". What other discipline commissions does the ECB have?
                    The code of conduct is actually very thin on off-field behaviour, except regarding drugs. I think the Committee will fall in line with whatever the police does. If he avoids prison, he'll be back in the team after the Ashes. But I can't recall any cricketer resuming a Test career after doing jail time for a violent offence. Cricket likes to present itself as far purer and gentlemanly than the rest of society. Stokes is in the wrong sport based on his temperament.

OTOH maybe times have changed and cricket will follow public opinion, which I'm sure will want him back and portray him as some kind of lovable rogue, repeating the old Botham and Flintoff cycles.

Comment

Memo to (or from) all NZ media: official description is no longer "Kiwi-born Stokes".

I haven't read all the acres of reporting and reckons on this, but I assumed Botham's 1980s suspension for smoking dope has been a popular point of comparison. I remember CMJ and Denis Compton (among many) being Outraged at his crime. Of course times and standards change, but it's hard to see how punching is more forgivable than puffing.

Comment

I'd be astonished if he gets a custodial sentence, especially not a suspended one. To me it looks like a Category 3 level assault (no serious injury, no aggravating factors - apart from sustained level of assault) with medium culpability. That would put him solidly in the community order bracket, with no previous convictions and steady employment. Given Lavinia Woodward didn't go to jail, it's inconceivable to me that Stokes would.

Comment

Wasn't Lavinia Woodward's sentence fairly standard?

Actually, that's exactly what you mean, isn't it?

Comment

I think Lavinia Woodward's sentence was on the light side though within normal parameters, because she could afford a good barrister and had a good career ahead of her, both which also apply to Stokes. But yes, I was trying to say that it takes a lot to get jailed for a first offence.

Comment

The barrister can't have been a hindrance, but isn't the career stuff fairly standard? "My client has just started a plumbing apprenticeship" would likely have the same effect.

Comment

No, the more lucrative and the more established a future career definitely makes a difference, even if it isn't in the sentencing guidelines.

Comment

So is the consensus that he'll miss the Ashes but be back for the May 2018 home Series? Or could he get this legal process done and dusted in six weeks and make the plane?

Comment

repeating the old Botham and Flintoff cycles
                                    Flintoff wasn't that sort of character at all. He may have been a boozer but he wasn't an aggressive one –*he wasn't one for getting in fights, and never exuded any belligerence as a person. Botham and Stokes have always had a bit more of an edge to them.

Comment

I always enjoy the chorus of outrage when something like this happens. While I'm not defending Ben Stokes' actions- and I haven't watched the video- am I wrong in thinking that the current Australian vice-captain 'allegedly' assaulted one of the England players in a bar or night club during an Ashes tour a couple of years ago?
                                      Of course, one perhaps doesn't expect any better of colonials...

Comment

Epic bantz, mate. You’re a ledge!

Comment

Warner did that but learnt his lesson so much he's now known as the reverend.

Comment

1974ddr, I don't see any orchestrated outrage here but I would advise anyone who shrugs this off to watch the video.

Warner back in 2013 threw a punch; Stokes seems to have thrown 15, some at a guy who was already down. Warner was banned for some Champions Trophy games and all warm-ups before the First Test. Stokes is looking at something worse, surely?

Certainly, in the context of societal violence generally, this is commonplace stuff, but if Stokes wants the exaggerated rewards of sporting celebrity, he has to accept that he will be held to a higher standard than Joe Public and get an exemplary suspension and loss of the Vice Captaincy, to deter future occurrences by him or other players.

Comment

Lions squad announced
                                              https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/487828

Ethan Bamber (Middlesex), Liam Banks (Warwickshire), Tom Banton (Somerset, wk), Harry Brook (Yorkshire), Jack Davies (Middlesex, wk), Adam Finch (Worcestershire), Luke Hollman (Middlesex), Will Jacks (Surrey), Tom Lammonby (Somerset), Felix Organ (Hampshire), Dillon Pennington (Worcestershire), Savin Perera (Middlesex), Jack Plom (Essex), Hamidullah Qadri (Derbyshire), Tom Scriven (Hampshire), Prem Sisodiya (Glamorgan), Fin Trenouth (Somerset), Roman Walker (Glamorgan).

Comment

That's the Young Lions. I think Qadri is the only one who has registered with me.

Comment

Ha, so it is. A rushed copy-and-paste job this morning.

Lions: Dom Bess (Somerset), Joe Clarke (Worcestershire), Paul Coughlin (Durham/Nottinghamshire), Alex Davies (Lancashire), Ben Duckett (Northamptonshire), George Garton (Sussex), Nick Gubbins (Middlesex), Tom Helm (Middlesex), Keaton Jennings (Durham/Lancashire), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Jack Leach (Somerset), Liam Livingstone (Lancashire), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Jamie Porter (Essex), Amar Virdi (Surrey), Tom Westley (Essex), Mark Wood (Durham).

Comment

Watford Wall at three? Finn is in for Stokes as things stand, pending what actually happens in the investigation.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X