No announcement yet.

Sending an offender down under? Ashes 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to land back in the UK to find England did some good cricket today. Well played, Dawid Malan

Comment

Excellent performance from Malan and Bairstow. Question marks against Australia's attack when conditions are not favourable.

Comment

Cook's farewell in the Pakistan tests, new blood for the India ones?

With the WACA as it is, I suppose once you've got yourself in and timed your stroke to the fast pace, the ball should fly nicely to the boundaries.

Comment

Conditions did look pretty favourable to Australia to me –*pace and bounce in abundance. I expect England's attack to struggle badly on this. Heartening to see Malan and Bairstow play Lyon with a lot more savvy today –*and some lovely driving. Another hundred or so and we've got a very real chance of escaping with a draw.

Comment

Glad to be proven wrong on England. Not seen any of the final session but did England look good or Australia run out of ideas? I saw that Smith and Marsh were having a bowl.

Comment

The Marsh that bowled was all-rounder Mitch deliberately brought in to back up the four other bowlers rather than his batsman brother Shaun so that’s no surprise. I think Smith was just using up a few overs before the new ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                Glad to be proven wrong on England. Not seen any of the final session but did England look good or Australia run out of ideas? I saw that Smith and Marsh were having a bowl.
                No, England, or specifically malan and bairstow, looked really good. They dealt with the new ball well late in the day and have built up a great partnership. Can they continue it into day two? Let's hope so as it's our only real chance of getting anything from this game. Australia didn't bowl badly I thought and could easily have had another two or three wickets.

Comment

They’re still there after the first hour.

Dawid Malan joins Jos Buttler as destructive batsmen who sound like butter wouldn’t melt in their mouth in the post-match interview. Where Buttler is on a dreamy Oxbridge History undergraduate tip, Malan last night was on Southern Hemisphere tourist loved up on E.

Comment

Two quick wickets - poor from
                    Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                      Decent recovery, but still feel that one wicket could bring six.
                      I fear you may well be right. We're now going to see

Comment

Woakes goes now, and this game feels 50/50, even though England have the best part of 400 - and Bairstow now! Smith and Warner will be relishing batting now.

Comment

Hell's teeth. Four wickets for 21 runs. Bairstow gone for 119. 389-8.

Comment

Overton falls to the short ball now, and normal order is being resumed. After the first hour, England were utterly dominant.

Cute game within a game now, as lunch could be delayed as they’re nine down - or might be taken early, if Anderson or Broad gets out, which is extremely likely

Comment

Normal service resumed.

Just seen a few overs this morning and the openers look really comfortable as they rotate the strike. The England bowlers are bowling at 85ish mph whereas Australia were in the 90s. Perhaps Overton with his height can do something, if not it's going to be a long day.

Comment

Another Smith hundred on the way. Another loss on the way.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                  Another Smith hundred on the way. Another loss on the way.
                                  Rain is forecast for the back end of Sunday and Monday morning. We could possibly hang on for the draw, if we can hang on and not collapse.

Comment

Very similar pattern to the First Test in that England should have got 100 more and Smith is overwhelming the England attack.

Aus win is slight favourite over a draw due to the speed at which they can score on this wicket, and due to the chance of England caving in the 2nd innings. Rain is the biggest factor in England's favour.

Wood should have been given a try in place of Woakes, partly because the bits and pieces all-rounder just doesn't work in these conditions against a quality pace attack and a batsman in Smith's class.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                      Decent recovery, but still feel that one wicket could bring six.
                                      Mystic Meg, there. Six wickets went for 35 today. I'd personally bin Broad permanently for his approach to batting.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

Wood should have been given a try in place of Woakes...
                                        Has Wood proved his fitness to bowl in a test yet? I think he'd be a cert if he had but they can't risk him breaking down during a match.

Comment

Wood bowled in a 2-day warm up- prob not enough.

When Anderson retires Broad will likely bat at #11

Comment

One small victory for England this week with their media team beating the WA Football media in the traditional Ashes match to retain the trophy. Michael Vaughan scored the winning penalty in the shoot-out. Even loading our side with (old) ringers like Robbie Dunn and Jamie Harnwell didn't see us succeed.

Comment

Before swapping Woakes for Wood, I'd want there to be some hard evidence that the latter was faster than the former. Last time they played together, I think Woakes was fastest of the lot. Making a hasty change could do damage to more than just England's tiny chance of retaining the Ashes.

Comment

Yeah Woakes bowled decently today.

Jamie Harnwell played briefly for Orient back when we were almost as bad as we are now, and became a byword for undistinguished failure. Didn't imagine his name popping up on this thread.

Comment

Looking ahead to the next home Ashes, it's possible that England will still swing it around enough to get the Ashes back, given how Australia struggled in that evening session under lights, but I'd be worried that Australia's attack is improving whilst England's is in decline; Anderson and Broad another 18 months longer in the tooth. And England are still unlikely to have a spinner in Lyon's class.

Comment

Smith still there, Australia in cruise control, new ball getting older, and Overton not bowling. No good signs for England.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X