Sending an offender down under? Ashes 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    That is an awesome story. Bairstow's dad was a hero of mine back in the day and Jonny has that gusto he had. He makes the game enjoyable.
    Totally this. There has never been an englishman I've enjoyed watching play the game as much as David Bairstow.

Comment

Cummins half-century nailed on, seeing as he’s clearly going to fulfill the batting role that Haddin did last time there.
      It’s the hope that kills you etc.

Comment

England need 354 to win. Sadly the excellent bowling performance for the second innings is far too little too late. Reckon the best we can hope for is a score in excess of the first innings

Comment

Anderson's five second innings wickets was his first in Australia surprisingly

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            Anderson's five second innings wickets was his first in Australia surprisingly
            Is there a stat showing his home/away split? Anderson is a great bowler for English conditions - not so sure about overseas.

Comment

Found it - big difference.

http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Stati...erID=3065#bowl

Home - 327 wickets at 24.12 - strike rate 49.93. 5 wickets in an innings 20
              Away - 184 wickets at 33.38 - strike rate 67.53. 5 wickets in an innings 4
              Last edited by Vicarious Thrillseeker; 05-12-2017, 07:36.

Comment

They’ve started well so far, but it seems to me they still have no reliable way of scoring off Lyon. It’d have to be a long innings.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                  I struggle with Boycott by the way - he may have pertinent opinions, but he goes on and on without end, to the extent that I want to switch him off. I feel sorry for Adam Gilchrist, who has been co-commentating with him.
                  I used to like him as a player for his bloody-mindedness, and the fact that he kept us in a lot of games on his own, then I quite liked him for his honesty in commentary. Now, like yourself, I am struggling, although that applies to most of them - Vaughan I can't listen to, after hearing one too many of his "That's it, just play sensibly, good lad" like he's actually talking directly to the batsman. Anyway, back to the wife-beater, I was amused when t'other day when he had launched into one of his long pearly wisdom loops about exactly what England needed to do to dig themselves out of the latest trench, "Wait for a bad ball to hit, don't play silly shots, be sensible, not silly - in fact can we have less of the whole silliness" or somesuch onandonandon bolleaux, when Alison Mitchell (who I can't stand because woman talking with exaggerated excitement about cricket is wrong on many levels, sorry) chipped in with "They need to play each over, one by one" - I swear the mic picked up a muted "Harrumph" before Alison carried on to describe the next delivery.

I wonder who exactly they imagine their target audience is? Do they practice their attempts at wisdom and play it back? Ok, fair play I was brought up with the creme de la of Arlott & Benaud (exchanged hello's with once at Lords), and TMS, but the quality now is shocking by comparison, isn't it? Much prefer the straight-talking Aussies.

Comment

It’s OK when men “talk with exaggerated excitement about cricket” then? For fuck’s sake.

Comment

Alison Mitchell (who I can't stand because woman talking with exaggerated excitement about cricket is wrong on many levels, sorry)
                      Seriously?

In the same way that women driving buses, or being in the military, is wrong?

Comment

Well of course, it's a man's game. Women should stick to things like sewing and kittens and not get their pretty little heads all muddled with real issues.

Comment

Australia seem flogged and out of ideas & reviews. If England get to the close today without losing another wicket the win is on, no?

Comment

I see what you did there with your attempted reverse jinx. You can't cheat the gods of superstition like that you know. It only works if you're predicting something you want to happen. Do better

Comment

Hey, just a cool impartial reading of the state of the game. They’re carting the Aussie quicks around the field now even with the floodlights on, imagine what it will be like in the daylight tomorrow.

Comment

These day night games can be gripping as hell.

Comment

I'm only following via text but a lot of this "carting" seems to be lucky edges past diving fielders

Comment

I refuse to allow a moment's hope until England are 300-5.

Australia haven't even resorted to a 5th bowler yet.

Comment

Australia have been terribly disappointing since dinner yesterday from an anti-England perspective. Smith captaining like Kim Hughes. Bowlers not able to find a Plan B.

Comment

The loss of the review is huge. That was terribly naive captaincy with a long, long way to go in this match.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                          ... with a long, long way to go in this match.
                                          Now that counts as a jinx. I'm holding you responsible Diggedy

Comment

And there we go

Comment

Fun while it lasts though, eh?

Comment

They have a chance while Root is in...

Comment

Bastard

Comment

Bloody good day's cricket, what.

Obviously all down to Root, but if England were bowling in this situation, and Smith, Kohli or Williamson were still in, I'd be worried.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X