Sending an offender down under? Ashes 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sending an offender down under? Ashes 2017-18

England include Stokes in Ashes squad. Might he have to come back, or is Bristolian justice quick?

There once was a cricketer, Stokes
    Who allegedly hit other blokes
    Due to this circumstance
    England might have no chance
    But at least we still have Foakes and Woakes

Comment

I would have gone with Rashid thrown to the Lions (again). Mason Crane over Rashid? Craig Overton and Jake Ball over Liam Plunkett/Steven Finn/Mark Wood (though the latter is injured), Gary Ballance over Tom Westley, James Vince over coach Paul Collingwood (the latter has a higher first class average this year). Ok, I don't mind giving some new blood a chance, but its like the summer never happened. Of the contentious picks, Ballance I can see as he was doing ok before he broke his finger, but come on, James Vince?

Comment

Great work everyone.

I would have gone for Plunkett, Hales, and considered Sam Robson. James Vince, wtf. The cupboard really does seem to be very bare.

Comment

If Stokes is ruled out for injury / legal reasons, Australia will win 5-0. If Stokes plays, Australia will win 5-0.

Long winter ahead for England in any case. Ashes, some ODIs, a T20 triangular with New Zealand and then a jaunt over the Trans-Tasman for a couple of Tests which don't finish until early April.

Comment

I didn't realise Roland-Jones was crocked. We really are fucked aren't we?

Comment

We're not totally screwed. We have seven top class players. Ok, so the rest don't fill me with confidence (Ball and Crane are the two I've watched most, and both of them are just good county players, not ready for the step up and at least in the former case, never will be), but I think we can make a game of it.

Comment

I doubt it will be 5-0. England can nick one if their 7 good players all produce. But England cannot win a five-test series in Australia with 7 Test-class players.

Comment

If I were Australia I'd make the WACA and MCB into raging turners, and have England embarrassingly destroyed by Nathan Lyon while Moeen Ali and Mason Crane fail to hit the right length with any of their deliveries.

Comment

The S*n has released video footage seemingly of Stokes punching a guy. Tomorrow's front page news.

Comment

I’ve seen the video (Agnew retweeted it) - there is mitigation in that one of the guys is swinging a bottle around and appears to connect with it (albeit seemingly relatively lightly) on the back of one of Stokes’ group.

After that though, Stokes goes mental and repeatedly punches a couple of guys, following them down the street when they look to be backing off until he decks one.

Comment

That is a sickeningly violent video. Can he really go on the plane after that?

Comment

Samit Patel recall, anyone?

Comment

Comment

England need Stokes so his sentence should be suspended.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                That is a sickeningly violent video. Can he really go on the plane after that?
                                No. He should withdraw immediately or be dropped. Broad to vice-captain?

Comment

ABH is unlikely to result in a custodial sentence, so I don't think there will be legal reason why he can't go. Just depends on whether they think he remains selectable.

Comment

Agreed. I was thinking more of the PR damage, bringing the game into disrepute etc.

Comment

Australia coud deny him a visa

I think they ought to drop him. Yes it means that whatever slim hope England had of avoiding a whitewash has gone, but better that than getting thrashed and on the moral low ground.

Comment

I think they need to drop him for his own good as much as anything else. It's not like he doesn't have form, and he really needs to grow up a bit. At the very least they need to take the Vice Captaincy off him. I wonder if they will do that, allow them to claim they have taken action but still have him available.

Comment

Ballance and Vince have been found out more repeatedly and in a more sustained way at Test level than Westley (five Test) has. Not that I'd necessarily have taken Westley, and it's not easy to see who should bat three. Would you have thrown in Liam Livingstone or recalled Sam Robson (who've both been in better nick this season) when they've never played Tests against Australia before? Maybe Hales even deserved a Test recall, Bristol piss-up repercussions notwithstanding. His technical deficiencies aren't more obvious than those of Vince or Ballance. Finn can consider himself unlucky too, and I'd still prefer Rashid to Crane as back-up spinner (and as I type Jack Leach completes a five-fer).

Comment

Sam Vokes of Burnley the obvious like-for-like replacement if needed

Comment

Or cookery writer Felicity Cloakes.

Comment

Yes, no need to restrict it to blokes

Comment

Should be open to kinds of folks.
                                                  But sadly no longer John Noakes.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X