Welcome to Hay on Wye: Town of Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to Hay on Wye: Town of Books

I'm in Hay for a couple of days. Will try to review the bookshops I go to.

Meanwhile if you have any tips...

OK. First Foray. Went to the Old Cinema Bookshop, Addyman's Annexe and the Hay on Wye Booksellers.

In OCB I bought a copy of Whispering in the Wind by Alan Marshall (my favourite book from when I was a kid). It's a different edition to the one I already have, with some illustrations. I also bought a Philip K. Dick novel, which was new and reduced.

Didn't buy anything in Addyman's. They had the same Philip K. Dick book, but for a quid more. They also had some nice modern editions of John Wyndham below RRP. Would have been tempted by The Kraken Wakes but they didn't have that one.

In the Hay Booksellers I found Brian Glanville's 'Goalkeepers are Different' that Imp recommended on the football books thread. I have seen a couple of other books that would have fitted on my goalkeeper shelf but nothing intriguing enough to make me want it. Mrs Thistle found a Snoopy book she doesn't recognise (she might well have it) and a couple of other books, so we are 3-3 in terms of purchases.

Hay itself seems to be struggling. Several of the shops we remember have shut down, including some bookshops. The banks have gone. A pub is up for sale. The tourist information is run by volunteers and there's a charge now for the public toilets because otherwise the council would shut them. I haven't been here for a few years and it seems to have declined quite a bit. We are out of season, of course, but it seems very quiet in term of visitors.

Comment

I was there this summer, and it seemed quieter than it did the year before, which was the first time I'd been.

If you need a cheap lunch, look for the Londis. They do fresh deli style sandwiches at supermarket prices. Excellent!

Comment

Did some more bookshops this morning but didn't buy anything. One of the bookshops was having a closing down sale. At least 2 I remember quite well have gone.

Went to Hereford this afternoon and enjoyed it's Aladdinesque model shop immensely.

Comment

Working...
        X