Streaming DVDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Streaming DVDs

When I finally get my arse into gear and get myself a permanent job, I'm hopefully going to be in a position to buy my first house. I've got my eye on the kind of two-bed stone terrace that's ten-a-penny on the fringes of the West Pennine Moors.

I'd ideally like one with a log burner/stove in the fireplace and then mount a flat screen telly above it rather than have a mirror or a picture there. Firstly, would that be practical given the heat behind it?

Secondly, would it be possible to hide the wires through the wall to a plug socket in alcove(s) next to the fireplace?

Thirdly, and perhaps most significantly, I've invested rather heavily in DVDs over the years. I've done the same with CDs and now have a Sonos system which streams audio from my iTunes which is held on my desktop computer to the speakers. Is there a similar kind of system out there which would let me rip my discs to a hard drive which could then be accessed via a smart TV? Or will I be running the wire from a DVD player through the wall to the alcoves too?

The heat question I don't know, and that seems like it could be a problem.

There are DIY kits for running cables through the wall, basically something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/PowerBrid...FZd_YgodV64FRw

I've done two in my house. You'll need to cut a hole in the wall, so need to make sure that you're doing it where there are no studs and no pre-existing wiring. You may need to buy a drywall saw, but apart from that all you really need is a good screwdriver and some needlenose pliers.

The other thing I'll say about doing these is that you may want to buy some extra long HDMI and whatever other cables you are currently using, and label label label. And even if you currently aren't using all your HDMI inputs, buy extra cables and just connect them to the back of the tv and leave them down at the box opening near where your devices will be plugged in. Especially if you won't be dropping the cables straight down, you won't want to buy a new device down the road and then try to run another cable down inside the wall.

For streaming, Plex would probably be your best option. It's a media server app, so install it on your computer and then load the app on whatever sort of media device that you have connected to your TV (Apple TV, Fire TV, Roku, etc).
    Last edited by Incandenza; 25-09-2017, 15:37.

Comment

DVD Shrink has always done a decent job for me in ripping discs while removing the copy protection. It does leave you with the raw VOB files but Plex handles them easily enough.

Comment

Thanks folks.

Comment

A simpler but clunkier solution would be to use a Chromecast to screen mirror your PC while it's playing the actual DVD.

Comment

Just on the TV positioning, ideally the middle of the screen vertically should be at or only slightly above eye level from your watching position. So unless you stand up to watch, over the fireplace isn't a great place to have a TV.
            If you absolutely must have it there, tilt it downwards so you're looking straight on. TVs are designed for watching from wide angles, not vertical angles. If you don't at least tilt it you'll lose a load of the colour and definition.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
              Just on the TV positioning, ideally the middle of the screen vertically should be at or only slightly above eye level from your watching position. So unless you stand up to watch, over the fireplace isn't a great place to have a TV.
              If you absolutely must have it there, tilt it downwards so you're looking straight on. TVs are designed for watching from wide angles, not vertical angles. If you don't at least tilt it you'll lose a load of the colour and definition.
              Cheers. Looks like extensive DVD and CD collections may have to be housed in the spare room.

Comment

Working...
              X