The Use of Weapons spoilery discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Use of Weapons spoilery discussion thread

I first read this when I was 17 or 18 and was blown away by the reveal at the end. I had picked up the odd phrasing when Elethiomel sent Cheradanine the Chair but didn't realise what it meant. I found that a more powerful scene when I read it again a few years later, knowing the truth.

Favourite scene: when the drone gives Cheradanine the hat.

Thing I got when I re-read it: all the childhood stuff and what happened to Elethiomel's father. And why Darckense went to him to try and reason with him.

Culture notes: probably the best book about the world of Contact/SC.

I've not reread this in years. As you say, even knowing the spoilery thing the ending is really powerful.

As a teenager m favourite Culture novel was Player of Games as I like games and it's the most straightforward with an obvious bad guy.

I've not read the Hydrogen Sonata, at the time I was waiting for paperback and then for money and now. Now I don't want there to not be a culture novel I still haven't read.

Sorry, that isn't much on the Use of Weapons. I might start reading it now.

Comment

Hydrogen Sonata wasn't that great imo.

Surface Detail otoh was great. My favourite ship in that one.

Comment

I don't remember the details of the book too well. I do know there was a moment about 3/4 of the way through - a recounting of a particularly ludicrous/audacious naval battle - where I kind of guessed the ending. Not completely, but it was enough that when I got to the reveal I wasn't *totally* blow away.

Comment

Working...
        X