No announcement yet.

The Game That Should Not Be - Weekend Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to see Whitehawk play St Albans City in the NL South on Saturday and kind of wished that I hadn't. North Street - one of the main shopping drags in Brighton - is closed, so buses were diverted along the seafront, which was hopelessly clogged up. We got to the ground just after kick-off.

All of which leads me onto the subject of that ground. It beggars belief that somewhere with rows of broken seating that hasn't been fenced off can be allowed to remain open, and that's before I get onto the subject of the bots of scaffolding just lying around all over the place. The last time I went there, they'd only just installed the seating so I was prepared to allow a little grace over there being stuff laying around, but that must have been three years ago and it's still laying around. Pity, really. It's such a beautiful view, nestled right in against the Downs, but it really is a shitty hodge-podge of a ground.

Apparently, half the teams in the NL South are losing their shit about needing to get promoted this season because of the inevitability of Billericay buying the title next year. There are only six points between first and tenth and most of them failed to win on Saturday, meaning that even a point away to a team with two from their first eleven matches of the season was enough to lift St Albans to third place.

Whitehawk were abject, but this was - according to a home supporter - the best they've played all season. They've just brought back serial Sussex non-league manager Steve King after the previous guy walked at the end of August. Their former president was imprisoned during the summer - reduced on appeal - for racially abusing a woman in a pub in Brighton. He's proclaiming his innocence and has said that he'll appeal to "clear his name", but nothing's happened regarding that yet and it came out during the trial that he'd picked up twelve previous convictions for varying types of violent behaviour between the ages of sixteen and twenty-six. Apparently he was the money there (he was Club President, but is no longer in that position). They've got a small bunch of "Ultras" who go there - drums, gay pride flags, all that - and I find it someone perplexing that they should have allied themselves to a club like Whitehawk. You'd think they'd be more at home at Lewes, or something.

Comment

I stopped following the St. Paulier than thou Whitehawk fans group on Twitter after a minor but tiresome spat - I took issue with them blaming referees for defeats and they took issue back. Those were a few wasted seconds of the lives of all involved that I suppose we'll never get back.

Comment

Reading Women 0 Sunderland Ladies 1

Traveled to Adams Park, Wycombe for Reading Women's opening WSL fixture against Sunderland. Fara Williams made her debut for Reading and there'd been much talk of the club aiming for higher things this season. If that's the case then they should really be winning fixtures like this.

A terrible error from Earps in the Reading goal allowed Sunderland to take the lead, and while Readng had the lion's share of the possession for the rest of the game, they couldn't do anything with it and Sunderland came away with all three points.

Comment

Flanagans Onions 0 PHC Zebras 9

Two weeks ago a guy who helps coach Onions was chatting to me at our kids Saturday morning football training that this first game of the season was against PHC, and he stated "we will get our arses handed to us on a plate". He was correct...

Totally one sided, with the one moment of 'excitement' being the PHC captain (and probably their most experienced and talented player) getting subbed after 15 minutes for daring to answer back to the coach. PHC were already 2-0 and coasting at this point, and the coach wanted his side to maintain possession, whereas the captain, using colourful language, pointed out he wanted the team to play at a higher tempo and "take this fucking shit team to the cleaners", not a phrase I would normally associate with the Bermudian way of speaking. The coach promptly substituted him with a 17 year old, who went on to score a hat-trick.
          Last edited by Bermuda Iron; 25-09-2017, 13:00. Reason: Shit spelling

Comment

Brilliant. Though surely he should have said, "We want to serve their onions back up to them, chopped, battered and fucking fried."

Comment

After reading BI's post watching Shrewsbury at the moment is utterly dull in comparison.

Flanagans Onions, marvelous.

Anyway, it reminds me of the time Shrewsbury beat Marine 11-2 in the FA Cup back in '95. Town were probably 6 or 7 up when they started keeping possession, playing the triangles and running Marine ragged. Peter Whiston, erstwhile centre-back, sometimes skipper and ex-non league player screamed "Stop taking the fucking piss out off them". His team-mates looked at him in bemusement, probably mental shrugged and proceeded to score 4/5 more.

Not sure what was worse for Marine really.

Comment

My friend who plays in the Welsh League division 2 was on the right end if an 18-0 win the other week and said it was the most embarrassing game he'd ever played in.

Peter Whiston, he was a good player.

Comment

I dunno Nick, watching Shrewsbury must be very exciting at this time, going well. You play my lot in 2 games time I think, hopefully we can prove to be on at least a par with you.

You don't actually get too many one-sided matches over here, even in the FA Cup where Premier can play First Division. There is a relatively small pool of talent on island, everyone knows everyone else, and players tend to move between teams with relative frequency, which may explain the mainly close games. I note a couple of you have commented on the Flanagans Onions name. They were formed in 1989 as MR Onions, a name of a local (now defunct) restaurant, with 'Onion' being a colloquial term for a Bermudian, based on Bermuda's main export crop of mild white onions in the early 1900s. Once the MR restaurant folded, a sports bar in Hamilton (loosely based on the Irish theme) called Flanagans took up the sponsorship. The team is the one side over here that is a truly international mix; lots of Brits on work permits mingled with some locals probably not good enough to get into better sides, and the odd Eastern European. So, not an exciting explanation for an unusual name I suppose...

Comment

Still beats the shit out of calling teams after the town/city/area they're from.

I'm sure Scunny will be on a par ability wise (if not more so), it's whether they can out run, out fight and just generally 'out Shrewsbury' us. .

Comment

It should be a good game, may the best team win, etc, etc...

We are very solid this year defensively, and on their day, Madden and Morris can prove to be a handful, with Novak looking a useful signing already. So 0-0 then... (which I will happily take).

Comment

Working...
                      X