Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I aim to please.

Yes, I didn't really have a problem with Debicki's character for the reasons I mention apart from her being quite so tall and also am not sure why she didn't stay with her original accent. It wasn't that big a deal as her American wasn't bad but it didn't seem to be important that she was American. I am assuming she was in the book?

Comment

Duly watched and thoroughly enjoyed. Was also baffled by Mrs Willoughby's accent. Have no problem with the juxtaposition of tragedy and black humour - not in movies, not in life.*

*Edit: I should emphasise that I mean as a coping mechanism.
      Last edited by imp; 01-02-2018, 06:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
        I aim to please.

Yes, I didn't really have a problem with Debicki's character for the reasons I mention apart from her being quite so tall and also am not sure why she didn't stay with her original accent. It wasn't that big a deal as her American wasn't bad but it didn't seem to be important that she was American. I am assuming she was in the book?
        I can’t remember, to be honest, it’s been a while since I read it. I seem to recall she may have been English actually though I think she dissembled elements of her past in both the book and TV show.
        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 31-01-2018, 23:33.

Comment

Just seen "In Bruges" finally. Really enjoyed it. Can't say whether it was better or worse than "Three Billboards...". They are two completely different films. I mean, the balance between tragedy and comedy is somewhat similar but, otherwise, difficult to compare. If I had to, I would say that "Three Billboards..." edges it.

Comment

Oh, there was another similarity. Both films feature a lot of fingernail chewing.

Comment

Sam Rockwell is a spit for Michael Vaughan, and the idiocy of his character in the film in its lighter moments is not entirely different from the ignorance Vaughan displays on TMS.
              As for the film: much better than Seven Psychopaths but not a patch on In Bruges, (or The Guard for that matter).

Comment

In Bruges, great movie. Also liked The Guard and Calvary. Watched 3 Billboards last weekend. Not sure its as good as In Bruges or any of them but it does have more swearing.

"Fuck off you fucking cunting fuck!"
                "Good morning to you too mum, you fucking cunt."
                "Who's that fucking cunt over there being a fucking cunting fuck?"
                "That's the priest mum."
                "Tell the cunting kiddie raping cunt to get to fuck!"

It got a bit fucking tedious. And it had massive plot holes and ridiculous scenarios that required a major suspension of belief to get through. But it will probably win Oscars. I despair.

Having said that, it's probably better than most of the competition.

Comment

Loved 3 Billboards. Watched it on the plane yesterday. But damn, how many extraneous characters does one film need? The whole cop shop, the new chief, the priest, the best friend, the son, the wee man, the ex husband and GF, plus plus plus....all fairly well realized in a short period of time.

But yeah, i loved it. I'm okay with the ending. What else would have worked, really.

Comment

It's certainly well crafted throughout, but — like most Academy Award 'Best Picture' nominees — feels somewhat predictable as — intentionally or not — it ticks a bunch of contemporary socio-cultural boxes. There's nothing particularly challenging, or memorable, there. Having said that Dunkirk was the only other BP nominee I saw,* so it might well have been the best of the bunch.

The Square and The Florida Project — nominated for minor awards, were both far more interesting films.

Comment

Working...
                    X