Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

How good does this look like it's going to be?

Better than Seven Psychopaths, not as good as In Bruges?

Comment

Every bit as good as I hoped.

Everybody.

Go and see.

Comment

Saw it at the weekend. It is a tremendous film.

Comment

How is Sam Rockwell a supporting actor?

It's as much about Jason as it is Bill?

Comment

They're all playing a supporting role to Frances McDormand.

Comment

Ok. That's true.

But doesn't Hollywood still cling to the need for a "Male Lead"?

(and the best supporting male in the film?

The bloke who plays her son)

Comment

I think they've finally got around the fact that they don't have to have a lead male. Both Rockwell and Harrelson are nominated for best supporting actor in the BAFTAs.
                Best supporting male was Peter Dinklage, he was the one holding the ladder after all.

Comment

Touché mon brave.

Touché

Comment

And best supporting actor in a male role should still be a straight slug-fest between Jason Isaacs and Simon Russell Beale.

(Beale to win by two falls and a submission)

Comment

Haven't seen Death of Stalin yet. I presume that was a minor spoiler. Rockwell should get the award just for the walk

Comment

Not really.

I'd like one or other to win.

But not nominated for Baftas anyway.

But back on topic.

Come on people - hand over your credit cards to your local multiplex and go and see it.

If you are disappointed, let me know and I will refund your admission by donating it to the RNLI.

Comment

Also saw The Shape of Water last week, which is also well worth a watch.

Comment

Another vote in favour here. McDormand is great.

Comment

I fell asleep during hokey The Guard (or is that the brother’s film?) was only moderately happy at In Bruges (allergic to Colin Farrell). Got some sick in my mouth watching Seven Psychopaths. I really really want to like this but.

Comment

I liked it, if maybe not quite as much as I was expecting to. Certainly not as much as In Bruges, The Guard and Calvary (if we’re going to lump both McDonagh’s brothers films together), all of which I loved.

It’s not really the black comedy it’s been marketed as and is more of a tragedy leavened with some really strong humour. The comedic moments in the trailer seem to be all the ones that are in the film at all and the rest is largely bleakness. Luckily, I had already read and heard in reviews that it may not be the film you would expect.

All of the main performances were great except Abby Cornish’s whose accent bothered me immensely - was she doing it in her own or trying another one? If it was the former, it needed some explanation. If it was the latter it was a disaster.

Comment

McDormand, Rockwell and Harrelson are all magnificent. I enjoyed the film, but perhaps not as much as I had hoped to. Agree that Cornish's accent was all over the place.

Comment

Did you see Sam Rockwell's dad's comment in the NYT: https://slate.com/culture/2018/01/sa...-all-time.html

Comment

Saw this last night at a virtually empty local Odeon multiplex. Really enjoyed the acting (apart from Abbie Cornish’s bizarre wandering accent) and the dark humour. Some of the violence was shocking, & I get some of the bubbling criticism of Sam Rockwell’s character’s partial redemption arc, but as so much of the plot development concerned unresolved events and a lack of clear-cut goodies/baddies, I think it’s being simplistically overplayed.

Comment

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...a8174431.html#

Comment

I saw this yesterday, and I thought it was brilliant, in a 'greater than the sum of its flaws' kind of way.

I take what Reginald says about the comedy detracting from the darkness of the material, but my main criticisms would be a) that there were too many characters with a 'big story', and b) some of the great lines, especially those given to McDormand, were so obviously set-pieces, shoehorned in because McDonagh wanted to go off on a little side-rant. I read about the scene with the Catholic priest getting a standing ovation in some cinemas, and I can't help thinking that was its main point, as opposed to advancing plot or character or anything.

In terms of comparison, the film I was most thinking of when I left the cinema was In the Bedroom, from 2001. Not surprising perhaps, as parents grieving murdered children were the central motif in that as well. In the Bedroom, especially Sissy Spacek's performance, still moves me when I think of it now, 16 years later, though its ending was actually way inferior to Three Billboards'.

Comment

That Independent article makes some thought-provoking points. However, if you also want to make casual reference to lazy directing, you should be extra careful to avoid the kind of lazy writing that leaves the impression you completely misunderstood the film's ending.

Comment

There is a lot to agree with and disagree with on this thread. I am not sure how the redemption of McDormand's character is OK while Rockwell's character isn't. While Mildred has a black boss who she is obviously friendly with and is respectful of Jerome, she is happy to use "nigger" in the conversation with Dixon (albeit that may be to wind him up). Also, she is vile towards Willoughby when he opens up to her about his cancer, firebombs a police station and kicks, at least, one child in the crotch. Her redemption is more gradual in the film when she is physically confronted by the reality of Willoughby's cancer, her reacting to Willoughby's letter and, ultimately, being taken to task by James. While Dixon's misdemeanours - both actual and alluded to - are more serious, his redemption is much more stark after Willoughby's letter and the kindness shown by Red.

My two reservations are, as mentioned, Abbie Cornish. Not only because her accent was dreadful but because she was just a terrible match for Harrelson. She's 20 years younger than him and looks it and there is no reason for her to be in the story. It felt a bit like Elizabeth Debicki's character in 'The Night Manager' but, at least in that, Hugh Laurie's character is a powerful rich man whereas Harrelson is just a town sheriff.

Also, I fall into the camp of thinking that the ending felt tacked on. It felt like them just going to drive to kill the guy felt too dark and ending so they asked for the ambiguity. I have heard it said that a few people have thought that there were two, maybe three places where it could have ended more satisfactorily and I agree with that. All this is small fry though as it is a great film. If "In Bruges" is a better film then I must get my arse in gear and watch it.

Comment

Haven't watched Three Billboards yet, and have little intention of doing so, but thanks to everyone on this thread who mentioned In Bruges - watched it today on your recommendation and you're all right - it's great!

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

My two reservations are, as mentioned, Abbie Cornish. Not only because her accent was dreadful but because she was just a terrible match for Harrelson. She's 20 years younger than him and looks it and there is no reason for her to be in the story. It felt a bit like Elizabeth Debicki's character in 'The Night Manager' but, at least in that, Hugh Laurie's character is a powerful rich man whereas Harrelson is just a town sheriff.
                                                  Yeah, I don’t know if you saw it but when I saw the film on my Facebook I mentioned how the age (and glamour) gap added to the disconnect caused by Cornish’s accent for me.

Debicki’s character in ‘The Night Manager’ is pretty true to the book, she is meant to be a ridiculously attractive young trophy girlfriend.

BTW, the phrase “kicks at least one child in the crotch” has now made me crack up laughing out loud every one of the five times I’ve read it - especially when I’ve delivered it in a Maude Flanders voice.
                                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 31-01-2018, 23:29.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X