No announcement yet.

So, languages then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sheer Nordic weirdness of the Shetlands is mibees my favourite Scottish accent, being so unlike "the Mainland". Orkney manages the Nordic thing with a weird but not unpleasant Welsh sounding lilt as well. For Ireland, a soft (very soft please) Cork accent.

Comment

Well, I know you've all been on tenterhooks for the last week.

I began Intermediate German on Wednesday evening. Teacher Moira is lovely, classmates a mixed and entertaining bunch. Getting to talk German with a bit of structure and support was very enjoyable, so I'm happy with my decision.

Had to do a bit of writing at the end so Moira could see what we knew individually. Luckily, my handwriting will make it quite hard for her to be certain just how bad my grammar is.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        Anyone know anyone who speaks Esperanto.

Me and Mrs Thistle have talked about learning Welsh as a) we've both lived longer in Wales then anywhere else, and b) we could use it to keep our conversations private when back in England e.g. if we wanted to express frustration with my parents about something they've said
        Well... six years on and I've learned Welsh to getting on for intermediate level.

Did anyone own up to knowing esperanto. I have a question about something I found in my Dad's things.

Comment

I found myself this year reading a bedtime story in Dutch, despite not knowing the language.

It's just if you know German and English, written Dutch makes enough sense that you can, at least, work out the gist of the the text and sometimes understand it completely. If I had to, (Although spoken Dutch makes little sense at all.) I reckon I could learn Dutch, but I clearly have no need to at the moment.

The odd thing is, when I speak German in Germany, I'd say about 20% of Germans think I'm Dutch. I've even had (unheated) arguments where I've had to deny being a Holländer.

My Flemish Belgian friend thinks this is ridiculous and says I "sound like a fucking Nordengländer speaking German" (which is true).
          Last edited by Stumpy Pepys; 09-06-2023, 22:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
            Did anyone own up to knowing esperanto. I have a question about something I found in my Dad's things
            https://traduku.net/?

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
              I found myself this year reading a bedtime story in Dutch, despite not knowing the language.

It's just if you know German and English, written Dutch makes enough sense that you can, at least, work out the gist of the the text and sometimes understand it completely. If I had to, (Although spoken Dutch makes little sense at all.) I reckon I could learn Dutch, but I clearly have no need to at the moment.

The odd thing is, when I speak German in Germany, I'd say about 20% of Germans think I'm Dutch. I've even had (unheated) arguments where I've had to deny being a Holländer.

My Flemish Belgian friend thinks this is ridiculous and says I "sound like a fucking Nordengländer speaking German" (which is true).
              Similarly you can have a pretty good go at reading Catalan if you have some French and basic Spanish, though the French is not going to help understanding it spoken in the slightest.

Comment

Working...
              X