Spain to reign again, in Ukraine? Champions League 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spain to reign again, in Ukraine? Champions League 2017-18

The big money league starts again. Neymar, Ronaldo, Messi, Morata, Robben, De Gea, all those guys.

Can you feel it?

Groups:

A = Basel, Benfica, CSKA Moscow, Manchester United
    B = Anderlecht, Bayern, Celtic, PSG
    C = Atlético, Chelsea, Qarabağ, Roma
    D = Barcelona, Juventus, Olympiacos, Sporting
    E = Liverpool, Maribor, Sevilla, Spartak Moscow
    F = Feyenoord, Manchester City, Napoli, Shakhtar Donetsk
    G = Beşiktaş, Franchise Leipzig, Monaco, Porto
    H = APOEL, Borussia Dortmund, Real Madrid, Tottenham

Comment

I may be having a peek at Spurs - BVB this Wednesday, but by and large I find myself severely uninterested.

Comment

Gets a bit samey, doesn't it.

Comment

Nah, it's bloody lovely...

Comment

BT sport have got all the games so I don't have to suffer the British side looking shite, with most of the groups looking pretty sewn up it's nice to be able to choose a more interesting match.

Comment

Even for people who haven't got a dog in the fight, there should be plenty to watch there - underdogs to root for, big clubs (and fizzy energy drink franchise) to hate and some genuinely unpredictable groups.

Comment

This edition will feature the ninth and tenth round of Dortmund versus Real Madrid since 2012. Boring.

I am interested to learn whether Feyenoord will concede more or fewer than twenty goals in this group phase.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopper View Post
                  Nah, it's bloody lovely...
                  Are you going to the Qarabag game tonight?

Comment

Young and Lindelöf at the back for United tonight - so that'll be another "shock" home defeat then.

Comment

Which game has tickled your fancy tonight?

I'm starting with Roma Atletico.

Comment

Sporting already 2 up away to Olympiakos.

Anderlecht a goal and a man down to Bayern, it's going to be a long night for them.

Comment

Probably a 6/10 performance at best at Old Trafford - plenty of possession, but as lugubrious as molasses. Still, Fellani with the only goal so far, so here's for more in that vein.

Comment

Celtic getting an absolute tonking by the sounds of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                              Which game has tickled your fancy tonight?

I'm starting with Roma Atletico.
                              Flawlessly picking the only goalless game tonight where every other game featured at least two goals. You're providing a valuable service there, AE.

Meanwhile, I've learned today that in the AFC Champions League, away goals do not count at the end of extra time. Can't decide whether that's a good or a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                Flawlessly picking the only goalless game tonight where every other game featured at least two goals. You're providing a valuable service there, AE.

Meanwhile, I've learned today that in the AFC Champions League, away goals do not count at the end of extra time. Can't decide whether that's a good or a bad thing.
                                It's been a decent game tbf but I've done myself proud with the choice.

Comment

Pedro is screwing up what otherwise would have been a perfectly polysyllabic scorer list for Chelsea.

Zappacosta
                                  Azpilicueta
                                  Bakayoko
                                  Batshuayi
                                  Batshuayi
                                  Pedro

So close...

Comment

Celtic being perfect hosts by assisting PSG with an own goal. 0-4.

All 'we' can hope for is taking 4 points from Anderlecht.

Comment

And, in the time it took to type the last post, Cavani gets his second for 0-5.

Comment

By all accounts, Cavani's last goal is one of the best header's of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                          It's been a decent game tbf but I've done myself proud with the choice.
                                          In the end, all other games featured three, five, or six goals more than the one you chose. Please let us know what you'll be watching tomorrow, and I owe you a pint if you ever set foot in Eindhoven.

Comment

The Cavani header

I'm unsure about the physics of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                              In the end, all other games featured three, five, or six goals more than the one you chose. Please let us know what you'll be watching tomorrow, and I owe you a pint if you ever set foot in Eindhoven.
                                              I'll probably watch Spurs Dortmund and hopefully take you up on that pint one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                Are you going to the Qarabag game tonight?
                                                Late on parade, sorry - no, I can't get there any more due to mobility issues sadly. Did you go? Champions League nights are just so much bigger & better than any other fixture for me, just totally electric. Good start tonight, albeit relatively easy - the squad is starting to look pretty handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopper View Post
                                                  Late on parade, sorry - no, I can't get there any more due to mobility issues sadly. Did you go? Champions League nights are just so much bigger & better than any other fixture for me, just totally electric. Good start tonight, albeit relatively easy - the squad is starting to look pretty handy.
                                                  Sad to hear that, Chopper. Is all travel a no-go for you?

Yup, I went to the game. Qarabag were OK - held and passed the ball well and fought hard but their 'keeper wasn't the best and they didn't offer a lot coming forward which, I suppose, are fairly sizable handicaps if you want to win a football game!

I thought we looked good. Christensen was very impressive at the back (Cahill not so much - lovely guy but a bit of a weak link in the side these days - dived in again and got a yellow card that could have been red) and Willian was back to his energetic self after his lacklustre performance at Leicester last weekend.

There will, however, be much tougher tests ahead.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X