No announcement yet.

North Sea, Irish Sea, Anglesey...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got battered somewhat by the strong winds today but I made it to Holyhead from Four Mile Bridge. I was looking forward to Holyhead Mountain and the views but ended up standing by the trig point in a gale with only 30 yards visibility. I chatted with the volunteer coastguards and RSPB warden but also had long stretches with no-one about.

Now off for a celebratory whisky in Holyhead!

Comment

Well done, Paul.

Your last remark got me thinking. Does Wales have a 'signature' drink? Scotland - Scotch etc.

Comment

Dragon piss

Comment

Orange Squash

Comment

From what I've seen in Holyhead it's strongbow.

Comment

I was going to say snakebite but it's probably Brains SA, isn't it?

Comment

Actually, with all the non-conformists having taken the pledge, it's a cup of weak tea.

Comment

Mead...

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                    Mead...
                    Myyd.

Comment

Good effort Paul.

When you're seeking your next challenge, have you done the Cornwall Coast Path? To be honest I'm not sure it's complete but there's a fair bit.

Aged 17 my mate and I set off on the train to St. Austell with the intention of doing this walk in two weeks. Half an hour's walk out of St. Austell station the strap of his rucksack broke and he did his best to fix it with needle and thread. Within a week we'd given up on the circuit, headed north and with taxi assistance ended up in Newquay (Porth). We probably walked a total of about 30 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                        Good effort Paul.

When you're seeking your next challenge, have you done the Cornwall Coast Path? To be honest I'm not sure it's complete but there's a fair bit.

Aged 17 my mate and I set off on the train to St. Austell with the intention of doing this walk in two weeks. Half an hour's walk out of St. Austell station the strap of his rucksack broke and he did his best to fix it with needle and thread. Within a week we'd given up on the circuit, headed north and with taxi assistance ended up in Newquay (Porth). We probably walked a total of about 30 miles.
                        Coastal walks are some of the most difficult walks going due to the nature of the terrain. You experience every rise and fall in the coastline, often with knee popping ascents and descents, along with walks on soft sand and glutinous mud. As much as I have enjoyed the Anglesey Path, I will not be attempting another coastal path as, quite frankly, they don't really interest me that much.

As an aside, I have walked 126 miles in seven days and put on 2 pounds in weight!

Comment

If we are making suggestions I've heard good things from people who are into long walks of the coast to coast Newcastle to Carlisle along Hadrian's Wall wall.

Or there's Offa's Dyke.

Comment

You an relive your trip tonight watching this, Paul S. In my mind, you are very similar to Julia Bradbury.

Comment

Aye I hear she’s a bit wary of the Tartan Army as well, ken.

Comment

Working...
                              X