No announcement yet.

North Sea, Irish Sea, Anglesey...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Carmel Head is open all year round ... I'll double check, but I'm almost certain. There's a disused Brickworks between Cemaes and Amlwch is that the one you mean? Tywyn Aberffraw is tidal but you can either walk along the beach or further up the dune on a path - it's easy to find either path depending on the tide.
    Holyhead Breakwater is fine if you want to get a different view of the harbour and the main island - it's also impressive to watch the ferries sail past, but I wouldn't say it's a 'must do'.
    I think Malltraeth's pubs are open although I'm not a regular there myself!

I have a blog whis is infrequently updated with some of my rambling ... it's in Welsh, but the photos are there for all to see - if there's any photo you want an explanation of, give me a shout!

http://www.crwydro.net
    Last edited by Jorge Porbillas; 12-09-2017, 14:27.

Comment

See the obvious questions would have been "Which one's your house?" and "Can I knock the door for a cup of tea and a few minutes in the warm if it's pissing down when I'm passing?"

Comment

"Any chance of a lift to the station? Crewe, preferably."

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge Porbillas View Post
          I think Carmel Head is open all year round ... I'll double check, but I'm almost certain. There's a disused Brickworks between Cemaes and Amlwch is that the one you mean? Tywyn Aberffraw is tidal but you can either walk along the beach or further up the dune on a path - it's easy to find either path depending on the tide.
          Holyhead Breakwater is fine if you want to get a different view of the harbour and the main island - it's also impressive to watch the ferries sail past, but I wouldn't say it's a 'must do'.
          I think Malltraeth's pubs are open although I'm not a regular there myself!

I have a blog whis is infrequently updated with some of my rambling ... it's in Welsh, but the photos are there for all to see - if there's any photo you want an explanation of, give me a shout!

http://www.crwydro.net
          Thanks for the reply on that one. The bit between Cemaes and Amlwch I want to see is Parys Mountain, is that where the brickworks is? In September you normally get some decent weather with a nice warm spell, but it doesn't look that way at the moment. I've still got my fingers crossed though and hopefully I shall have some decent weather. Nice blog by the way, is the chimney by the sea at Carmel Head?

Comment

The chimney is the old brickworks on the path between Cemaes and Amlwch. Mynydd Parys is actually off the path but worth a detour once you get to Amlwch Port where there is also a museum and cafe giving the history of the town and its links to copper.

Comment

Late to threads as usual, but I was an airman on Anglesey, but I wasn't engaged.

Comment

Just sleeping together?

Comment

Ha, my 18 month spell coincided with one of my frequent bouts of lack of intimate relations.

Comment

Paul's sudden revival of interest in Anglesey explained.

Sex robots http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/...lesey-13616647

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      Paul's sudden revival of interest in Anglesey explained.

Sex robots http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/...lesey-13616647
                      Underneath that article one of the comments reads "Does it speak Welsh?"

Is there a shop at Malltraeth?

Comment

Well my journey north this afternoon looks interesting. Euston is closed with passengers advised to find alternative routes. Looks like I'll have to take the mk3's out of Marylebone to Birmingham rather than a voyager. Not sure what time I'll get to Holyhead though.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                          Underneath that article one of the comments reads "Does it speak Welsh?"

Is there a shop at Malltraeth?
                          Shame it wasn't in Welsh.

Comment

The picture of sex robot guy sitting on the This Morning sofa with its hand on his thigh is possibly more hilarious and less supportive of his 'not weird' argument than he was hoping.

Can't you just have yours delivered, Paul, if collecting it is going to be tricky?

Comment

My journey to Holyhead last night was uneventful and on time. However I managed have a pint in what must be Wales' worst pub, The Dublin Packet. The locals had no teeth. The owners scowled at everyone and a drunk teenager was kicking off badly as she'd lost her mobile phone.

On the plus side my walk to Church Bay has been wonderful. Thoroughly recommended. Hoping the walk to Amlwch tomorrow is just as good.

Comment

Sounds like a regular Welsh pub that. All my locals have shut now but, yeah, they would be like that.

Comment

Glad to hear the Packet hasn't changed after all these years

Comment

Last night I camped at Church Bay and drank in a pub with a fantastic view over Holyhead. The Church Bay Inn doesn't do food at the moment and has only just started doing B&B. The pub was quiet but I had two thoroughly enjoyable conversations with locals about the conveyor or belts under Holyhead, lighthouses and local rugby. A top evening.

Today I had a very long walk from Church Bay to Amlwch with lots of ups and downs. Amlwch is run down and the railway is completely overgrown but rails still on place. Off to Red Wharf Bay tomorrow and I need to find somewhere to camp.

Comment

I swear this island has its own micro-climate. Yesterday it was lovely and warm whilst other places were wet and cold. This morning good we had heavy rain with no wind to move it on and the radar showed it was the only rain for miles around.

Camping in Benllech tonight over-looking Red Wharf Bay which is a stunner. Off to Menai Bridge tomorrow and a hotel for the night.

Comment

Youve completed the most tiring and undulating part now! There's a nice pint in the Church Bay. Enjoy Moelfre tomorrow and if you're after a decent pint in Menai Bridge go to the Vic.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge Porbillas View Post
                                          Youve completed the most tiring and undulating part now! There's a nice pint in the Church Bay. Enjoy Moelfre tomorrow and if you're after a decent pint in Menai Bridge go to the Vic.
                                          You don't know how glad I am to hear that! I know Anglesey isn't particularly high, but the path still goes up and down a lot and that has been tiring.

Comment

I've made it to Menai Bridge after another long day and I've caught the sun!

Walking from Moelfre to Menai Bridge I went through the village of Llandegfan. I got talking to a local and as a bike went past he shouted at greeting. He later told me this man visited the cemetery every evening for a hour having lost his entire family in a house fire. He told me the whole harrowing story which I won't repeat here but has left me rather subdued this evening.

Comment

Today I had to head inland at a couple of places due to the high tide and strong southerly winds. I had a soporific walk through Newborough forest and saw precisely nothing but got blasted by wind and rain. The pub at Malltraeth is closed for a few days so praise be the chippy / shop / offy in the village for being open! The campsite here is OK but not exactly enticing in this sort of weather.

40 mph winds forecast for Friday so I may forget about my trip down Holyhead breakwater.

Comment

Malltraeth to Four Mile Bridge today including a two mile stretch along the sand next to RAF Valley watching the jets doing good circuits and bumps. I didn't climb the embankment for a look and certainly didn't linger where there were red signs which I suspect warn of aircraft blast.

The walk along the creek into Four Mile Bridge reminds me very much of my native Essex. Last day tomorrow from Four Mile round to Holyhead.

Comment

How was the farm just as you reached Four Mile Bridge?
                                                  I've just got home from working in south Wales so we're probably just a few hundred yards from each other as I write this!
                                                  Last edited by Jorge Porbillas; 21-09-2017, 21:46. Reason: typo

Comment

I'm staying in Holyhead for a couple of nights and getting the bus back to Four Mile Bridge at 0805 from Holyhead (0820 arr 4 mile bridge).
                                                    Last edited by Paul S; 22-09-2017, 06:00.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X