North Sea, Irish Sea, Anglesey...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Sea, Irish Sea, Anglesey...

During one geography lesson our teacher had a huge map on the wall. He got pupils to point to different places. One day he asked someone to point to the North Sea, then the Irish Sea, and then Anglesey. Naturally everyone was perplexed, where was this sea they'd never heard of? I couldn't work it out either before brilliantly remembering it was in fact an island off the north-west coast of Wales where there was a freight only railway to Amlwch.

Curiosity of this island has finally got the better of me and I'm walking the Anglesey Coastal Path starting on Saturday. I'm not sure what to expect and I've got a mixture of camping and B&B's but I'm walking it clockwise starting from Holyhead. Anyone been to Anglesey or got any recommendations for when I'm there?
    Last edited by Paul S; 11-09-2017, 12:28.

Only went there once. Got the standard photo next to the sign at Llanfairpwlg... etc., and watched the planes at RAF Valley. Absolutely nothing of value to add, but all the best with it.

Comment

Only been there once, for a bike ride. I found it very relaxing, no drivers seemed to be in that perpetual rush car drivers always seem to be and were very courteous. The maze of little lanes ensured traffic was minimal. Church Bay which you will visit is a gorgeous place...

Comment

My brother's walked the ACP and really enjoyed it. But he did it in stages, being shuttled round between start and finish places by his sister-in-law so he could sleep in the same bed every night.

Good luck.

Comment

Once tried to hitchhike from Holyhead. It took us a day to get across Anglesey, so we got a coach from Bangor back to London...

Comment

I've only been for the ferry.

Comment

I've been to Beaumaris Castle, which is phenomenal. It is brilliantly symmetrical, like a diagram of what a concentric castle should look like.

Comment

I've only been for the ferry, but stayed in Bangor on a separate trip. The straits are still very atmospheric, even with the pier and bridge and without blood drenched druids waving their scythes at the Romans from the far side.

Comment

Spent many a happy childhood holiday on the island, mainly around Trearddur Bay and Silver Bay, (I think it was called). Loved the place but it can get a bit blowy there.

Beaumaris Castle is indeed lovely and South Stack lighthouse is well worth a visit.

Comment

My first girlfriend left me on the eve of my 21st birthday, and within two months was engaged to be married to an airman based on Anglesey, which was the first I'd heard of the place.

So, thanks for bringing that memory back.

Comment

It's windy. Wear warm clothes. Expect to hear Welsh spoken of you meet anyone.

Beaumaris is about the one castle in Wales* I haven't been to.

*It's a castle in Wales, not a Welsh castle. Those are generally smaller.

Comment

I second Beaumaris, which also has a couple of lovely pubs and cafes. If they're still running boat-trips from there out to Puffin Island, I'd also recommend that. The puffins will probably have gone, but there are seals that sometimes like to show themselves. This trip also gives nice views of Penmon with its priory and lighthouse. Anglesey is pretty flat, but has fantastic views of Snowdonia on clear days. Not that many of those in that part of N.Wales of course.

Comment

South Stack lighthouse is fairly photogenic, and if you visit the RSPB reserve you'll have a good chance of seeing choughs. Otherwise I've only visited to go the race circuit at Ty Croes or to Beaumaris. I'd recommend the latter but not the former, though if it's typical of the prevailing weather conditions then a warm hat that fastens securely to your head is a must.

Comment

The only time I've been to Anglesey it was so foggy you couldn't even see that ruddy lighthouse from the cliffs.

Comment

Been loads of times. One time was camping for a friends stag do. He ended up getting barred from a fish and chip shop.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
                                I second Beaumaris, which also has a couple of lovely pubs and cafes. If they're still running boat-trips from there out to Puffin Island, I'd also recommend that. The puffins will probably have gone, but there are seals that sometimes like to show themselves. This trip also gives nice views of Penmon with its priory and lighthouse. Anglesey is pretty flat, but has fantastic views of Snowdonia on clear days. Not that many of those in that part of N.Wales of course.
                                I saw a grand total of two puffins on a trip round Puffin Island earlier this year. The White Eagle in Rhoscolyn does decent grub and ales, as, echoing what others have said, do a couple of places in Beaumaris (pronounced 'bew' maris incidentally according to a friend from Holyhead) but other than that it's slim pickings for food and drink on the island.

Anglesey is an island of fabulous (and often fabulously windy) beaches, there's nothing particularly dramatic about it although as has again been said elsewhere the views over to Snowdonia are impressive on the rare occasion the clouds permit them.

Comment

I'd provide a few tourist tips but I'm not sure whether the OP is one them wind up things or not.
                                  Last edited by Kowalski; 11-09-2017, 21:01.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                                    My first girlfriend left me on the eve of my 21st birthday, and within two months was engaged to be married to an airman based on Anglesey, which was the first I'd heard of the place.
                                    An officer, but no gentleman.

Comment

My old housemate and I slept in Hollyhead ferry port once. We missed the ferry back from Dublin because we forget to check the time and stopped in a pub to watch United v Spurs. We blagged that we'd been delayed on our train from Galway so they let us on the next ferry eight hours later. We mooched about the shittiest parts of Dublin for hours on end, and wasted money going to the cinema to eat up some time, watching that horrific Fantastic Four reboot. When we finally got to Hollyhead they wouldn't let us on the coach to Manchester because you have to book an hour in advance for insurance reasons. So we fucked off to McDonald's and shared six double cheeseburgers until they kicked us out. This left us nowhere to go but the floor of the ferryport until the first train at 6am or something. It was cold, it was miserable, it was uncomfortable, it was fucking rubbish.

I think we pulled into Platform 14 at Piccadilly, by far the most miserable platform in the station, and the second most miserable place in the city behind Cornbrook tram stop. I got on the ground and kissed the floor like the fucking Pope or someone. We'd managed to spend over 24 hours travelling from Galway to Manchester. My mate who flew was back in about 4. Fuck Ireland, fuck Anglesey, fuck ferries, fuck the Fantastic fucking Four, fuck National Express, fuck Spurs, fuck everyone except the Hamburgler and chums for providing the de facto best burger in the world.

Come to think of it, all that happened on my birthday. It wasn't my most favourite birthday ever. Not my least favourite, but close.

Your school days sound wild, Paul S.

Comment

Wow, everyone seems to have such, unforgettable memories of Anglesey. For what its worth I shall be camping at Church Bay, staying in a pub at Amlwch but then camping again at Benllech / Red Wharf Bay (somewhere in the vicinity, I don't know where yet). Then I have a night at Menai Bridge, camping at Newburgh and then two nights in the travelodge at Holyhead as I complete the traverse of holy island. I've also got an inkling to do the Holyhead breakwater as well, but that depends on the weather. I don't think the RNLI will be to impressed if I go sauntering to the end in a massive storm. I'm looking forward to seeing Church Bay and I also want to see the rock with the tower for stranded sailors on it.

I wonder if you can see Ireland from the top of Holyhead mountain?

Comment

We had a couple of days in Benllech earlier this year. I'm still scarred by the memory of the Scouse ringer for Llanfair PG, who took a dive that got the pen that got them through in extra time in the North Wales Junior Cup against Deeside Youth Centre. Bastard.

Comment

We went in the summer of 1995 when I was 14. Nice enough, but my main memories are of a free pool table in the guest house and my dad and I going to watch Bangor vs Widzew Lodz in the ECWC.

Comment

I did a coastal tour - by car - of Wales over 20 years ago and ended up on Anglesey. The things I found of interest were that there were masses of standing stones, burial chambers and cairns, if you are into that sort of thing, of which the Neolithic Bryn Celli Ddu is probably the best. I didn't go but my uncle went to Parys Mountain recently and it looked spectacular.

Comment

I live here. I've completed the Coastal Path - which passes within a few yards of my house! Ask away!

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge Porbillas View Post
                                                  I live here. I've completed the Coastal Path - which passes within a few yards of my house! Ask away!
                                                  1. When is Carmel Head open / closed to walkers?
                                                  2. Where is the disused copper mine with the really odd abandoned workings?
                                                  3. Is the bit over the sands at Tywyn Aberffraw tidal or just sand dunes?
                                                  4. Is it worth walking Holyhead breakwater?
                                                  5. Is the pub at Malltreath open at the moment as I plan to use the campsite at Pen-y-bont Farm

Many thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X