No announcement yet.

Sacked Managers 2017/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the fuck would he want that job? The only possible explanation I can think of is that Ellis Short is about to sell to someone, either that or he just really hates himself.

Comment

The job at his hometown club is coming up soon as well. I can't believe he's gone to Sunderland. It makes no sense. It's like Lennon going to Bolton.

Comment

Of course this isn't the worst part of it for Wales fans, that will occur the day that Ryan Giggs is announced as his replacement.

Comment

With Robbie Savage as his number 2.

Comment

I understand Coleman leaving Wales, he is never going to match what he achieved in 2016 and needs to move on before the lustre of that has faded. But Sunderland look unmanageable. He surely has received feelers for far better jobs than that one. Presumably not Everton though or he surely wouldn't have taken a task of this magnitude on.

Comment

Oh for fucks sake.

Comment

I kind of wanted him to go and get a decent job somewhere. This isn't it.

Comment

He must have received a massive blow to the head. That's the only explanation for it.

A Premier League club or other international job I could have understood... but SUNDERLAND? A club at almost Blackpool levels of basket-casery?

Comment

Got Welsh friends on Facebook who are griping that they'd understand if he left to manage a Champions League team (yeah I know), but not a Championship team. Told them not to worry as they won't be in the Championship much longer!

Comment

Tony Pulis has gone! Oh, happy day!

Comment

Originally posted by Anorak Smith View Post
                        Not if you're Welsh and Coleman's just left a massive void, it isn't.

Comment

Oh. Fuck.

Comment

Pulis to West Ham in January after Moyes crashes and burns?

Comment

It is good news, but I hope Gary Megson will soon be gone as well. The link between him turning up as Pulis' assistant and the start to this season hasn't been properly examined anywhere as far as I can see.

Comment

It is good news, but I hope Gary Megson will soon be gone as well. The link between him turning up as Pulis' assistant and the start to this season hasn't been properly examined anywhere as far as I can see.

And Gerry Francis found himself frequently on the Sky Sports punditry sofa, leading some to wonder what role he actually held/is holding on the coaching staff. The reasons why Megson's appointment and other factors contributing to West Brom's malaise haven't been properly examined is that most of the punditocracy of Britain's footie media are spending too much of their time thinking up millions of ways to solve Mourinho's and other top club bosses problems, which leaves them with no time to think about ideas that could improve the lot of 'the rest', beyond the usual shit about 'oh, he'll keep them up' and 'be careful what you wish for', the plaintive mumbles of the complacent talking heads who wear their narrow-thinking like a badge.

Comment

I heard someone the other day saying that if you were a club in West Brom's position and Pulis were available then that is exactly the manager you would be going for.

Comment

You'd think the local media would have given some thought to it though.

But yeah, it's narrow thinking that has people saying (including a lot of our own fans) that Megson is an all-time Albion hero because he got the club promoted to the Premier League for 'the first time' and later won another promotion. He did do some good work for the first couple of years of his spell in charge, but his football was at least as ugly as Pulis' and over a longer period. Bob Taylor and Richard Sneekes were two of our best players who preceded Megson. They also have, to put it mildly, 'interesting' views on the man's managerial and coaching abilities.

Comment

I bet Pulis (and Megson) fetch up at Wednesday. Carvalhal could go within a week or two with the wrong results, and Pulis will be the bookies' favourite should that happen

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                        I heard someone the other day saying that if you were a club in West Brom's position and Pulis were available then that is exactly the manager you would be going for.
                                        Unfortunately this is the sort of hilarity spun by the previously mentioned pundits. Alan Shearer saying 'West Brom shouldn't sack Tony Pulis' was laughable, he's not having to fork out hard earned cash to watch his team's opposition knock the ball around for 75 minutes of every game, while the back 10 shuffle around their 18 yard box. Or watching as Pulis fields a team of reserves every time he says he's going to give the cups a good go, or watching as everyone goes on holiday as soon as we reach our Tone's 40 point pinnacle. And to anyone saying 'Albion will go down now', I really don't care, I'd rather watch us in the Championship or below, than have had to put up with any more Pulisball.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
                                          I'm not sure there's any great mystery is there? Dave Kemp retired to spend more time with his family in the States. Megson was available, knows the club, and has a lot in common with Pulis' footballing ethos, seems like a natural fit.

Megson ground out a couple of promotions, but was found out in the Premier League and eventually fell out with Jeremy Peace. I'd be more interested in understanding the latter's current involvement at West Brom, than Megson's current role. There was an interesting article in the Guardian yesterday about Saido Berahino, I still hold Peace and Pulis, partly responsible for that debacle.

Comment

I had a fascinating discussion at a wedding last summer with an Agent ( not football) who was a West Brom Fan, and he had all sorts of eyebrow raising, nose hair burning stories, which were promptly all washed away in an ocean of bloody booze, and I wish I could remember half of them. West brom should have got rid of pullis almost immediately.

Comment

Any chance of West Brom hiring Bryan Robson again?

ian's rants were world class first time around.

Comment

Someone needs to employ Bryan Robson. It was like watching a child's first go at playing Championship Manager.

Comment

I'm not sure there's any great mystery is there? Dave Kemp retired to spend more time with his family in the States. Megson was available, knows the club, and has a lot in common with Pulis' footballing ethos, seems like a natural fit.
                                                  Right, and both the results and the football have got worse since Megson's most recent arrival. The way the team is set up has changed slightly too. Until this season, Pulis largely favoured a back four (OK, they were often all centre-backs) and liked at least one wide attacking player with pace. The back five fronted by three defensive midfielders thing has mostly come in since Megson, who tended to employ similar tactics when he was manager. I'm not trying to suggest there's a mystery - so perhaps 'examined' wasn't the right word - but I'm surprised Megson's influence hasn't been more commented upon.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                                    I had a fascinating discussion at a wedding last summer with an Agent ( not football) who was a West Brom Fan, and he had all sorts of eyebrow raising, nose hair burning stories, which were promptly all washed away in an ocean of bloody booze, and I wish I could remember half of them. West brom should have got rid of pullis almost immediately.
                                                    The Secret Footballer, i.e. Dave Kitson, has some remarkable stories about his experiences in Football. He hasn't had that many managers in his time, but one of them was Tony Pulis. Someone he clearly didn't see eye-to-eye with.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X