• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fucking hell.

Comment

Lopetegui will leave Spain to take over Real Madrid after the World Cup

Comment

Today's news is that he might not last until the world cup. Spanish federation are of a mind to sack him (it seems) but players are arguing that they would prefer continuity. Either way, Spain's chances in the WC have taken a serious nosedive

Comment

He's gone

Comment

Netherlands: but without us who will meltdown spectacularly this time?

Spain: hold my cerveza.

Comment

Word in the Netherlands is it's against the rules to sack a coach the day before the world cup and the team will be disqualified. Holland being number one on the reserve list are now looking at Ryanair flights.

Comment

Originally posted by Aitch View Post
                Word in the Netherlands is it's against the rules to sack a coach the day before the world cup and the team will be disqualified. Holland being number one on the reserve list are now looking at Ryanair flights.
                To participate in a group with Portugal? No thank you. They always beat us.

Comment

Saipan seems even more insignifcant now.

(Mind you McCarthy is presumably available, they could bring him in)

Comment

As is Luis Enrique.

Comment

Just had a text in ridiculous text-speak colloquial Spanish from which I just about gleaned that Fernando Hierro is the replacement..?

Cue Bolton Wanderers' fans on here changing allegiance?

Comment

I presume they'll need someone who already has a visa for Russia.

Comment

Good point ad hoc, and Hierro would presumably have one since he is the national side's sporting director.

Comment

As mental as this sacking seems, I've got to confess to having a great deal of respect for the Spanish FA on this. To stand up to Real Madrid, which they effectively are doing, is no small thing.

Comment

It is a bit ridiculous though. There's a huge element of "You insulted my Balls" in this.

What was Lopetegui thinking though? Real Madrid are basically the Footballing version of donald trump. they're not going to be able to keep anything secret for any length of time without boasting about it like an entitled 6 year old Richie Rich. (I suppose this makes Sergio Ramos Eric or Don jr posing with a dead lion)

Comment

I get the logic of doing it, but it seems like the Spanish team that is the one hurt most by this decision, not Lopetegui.

Comment

They have shat on their players.

Comment

I’m not sure how much credence we give Balague but he seems to think this may galvanise the squad. Or at least be thinks it may be preferable to letting Lopetegui carry on with, he appears to imply, some of the players against him;

”But within the squad the players were divided as well. Now, by getting rid of Lopetegui, everybody can focus on one thing. You've seen it in history that when big obstacles get overcome and everybody gets joined together, it can actually benefit the national side, even though right now it's a big drama.

Fernando Hierro knows the federation and knows the players. He was really crucial in 2010 after Spain lost their opening game against Switzerland. He got everyone together and he's got the talent to do that again.

Do I think Spain can still go far in the World Cup? Put it this way, is Isco still playing? Is Aspas still on the bench but scoring goals? Diego Costa? Sergio Ramos? Gerard Pique? Jordi Alba? The team is still strong.

In terms of them taking their minds off a game it's not possible. Players just focus, they get into the action and nothing else matters.

But of course they love the easy life that they're not going to get outside of when they are actually playing. For them, the matches will be a chance to escape the noise that has already been produced and will continue to be produced over the next few weeks.”
                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 14-06-2018, 06:08.

Comment

It obviously could be a positive, but it just as easily could be a disaster. If the squad was divided over Lopetegui, as you say, then I think it had to happen. But I'm not sure that this will suddenly unite them either. If Ramos, for example, who seems to be a very strong dressing room presence, feels strongly about Lopetegui, then he's not likely to feel that accommodating to those who felt he should go. The other variable is that Spain had largely crept in under the radar, going back to taking on their traditional role as dark-horse-to-watch. Now they are the main story (at least for the next couple of days) and very much the focus of attention. Every little thing is going to be magnified - and they are not starting with an easy game

Comment

The bad guy here is Lopetegui, who had just signed a new contract from which he effectively reneged. He's not man of honour, dream-job or not. If I was the Spanish FA, I'd not want that guy around me.

Comment

And Real managers don't last long. He's swapped the chance to win the World Cup for being just one of the people on the long list of two-season Real coaches.

Comment

Bielsa to Leeds apparently. I think it's held up in some kind of contractual/legal stuff, but... Can't say this appointment pleases me (have a bit of a soft spot for Bielsa)

Comment

I wouldn't worry, we don't keep managers for very long these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Central Rain View Post
                                                I wouldn't worry, we don't keep managers for very long these days.
                                                And Bielsa doesn't keep jobs for very long these days.

Is Leeds the best offer he could get? Or is it a childhood-Sisters-of-Mercy fan thing?

Comment

Surprised no-one has mentioned Sinisa Mihajlovic.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X