Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sacked Managers 2017/18

Frank de Boer - Crystal Palace.

Big Dave's Gusset will be pleased, he can't draw him for toffee.

Comment

Sacking him after yesterday is harsh. Not his fault the player screwed up the back pass, and Scott Dann couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo. I was fully expecting them to be like Sunderland, who last year offered absolutely nothing on the way to a 4-0 hiding. Yesterday was pretty much a robbery by the home side, the kind no manager can legislate for.

Comment

David Wagner rigged the fixture computer FACT.

It'd be quite something if he got Bilic sacked as well.

Comment

As noted by GO on another thread, there has already been a departure this season at completely the other end of the spectrum when Gordon Bartlett was moved upstairs at Wealdstone. Like De Boer he only got five games this term, winning one.

Comment

At least Bartlett had been in the job for about 30 years though. Sacking FdB after four games and replacing him with Hodgson - what a joke. So much for trying to play "decent" football then.

Comment

Sacked after four games means the owners fucked up.

Comment

Kind of inevitable this. His departure has been the narrative for too long for him to stay on.

Comment

Also inevitable: Bilic. And Bruce.

Comment

Is Bruce under that much pressure Mr B?

Comment

The Birmingham Evening Mail is doing comparisons between Di Matteo's start to last season and Bruce's to this one, which suggests they think the end is near. Personally, I'd say he surely needs to be given a bit longer after being allowed to bring in John Terry, plus implement his other changes. On the other hand, appointing an ex-rival's manager is always a big risk in terms of patience from the fans.

Comment

I neither like nor dislike De Boer, or Crystal Palace, and nor do I have any opinions on how good a manager he may be (mainly because I've only seen 4 games of his). But I was still getting really irritated during MOTD2, as the commentator must have said "The pressure really mounting on de Boer" about 20 times during the game. That's the sort of commentary that creates the story, I wasn't aware of any particular unrest amongst the fans - he seems to have been under pressure because people were saying he was under pressure, and then lost his job because people were saying he might lose his job.

Comment

Yes, I think he is. I know a lot of people think Villa fans have a false sense of entitlement but I don't think it is that which has Bruce under pressure. The last eight seasons have eradicated any of that. They just want to see some football played and the team having a go.

It's the worst of all world's, dreadful uninspired football which isn't even remotely successful. Obviously I have no thoughts on who should succeed him, just that it needs a total shift in mindset and some energy in the team. Some fresh ideas in the dugout, most other Championship clubs seem to manage it.

Comment

Good points James, but fans will tell you there hasn't been a single game we've dominated since he joined. Not one. And he's been here a year and his signings have made it worse.

Some want to make a change now to give someone else a chance to push for promotion. I'm not bothered about that, I want him to go because this is unwatchable.

Comment

All of BDGs Christmasses have come as once. Woy is back!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Beast View Post
                                Good points James, but fans will tell you there hasn't been a single game we've dominated since he joined. Not one. And he's been here a year and his signings have made it worse.

Some want to make a change now to give someone else a chance to push for promotion. I'm not bothered about that, I want him to go because this is unwatchable.
                                That all seems fair. A (quite big) part of me wouldn't mind seeing Pulis go for similar reasons of unwatchability (if that's a word), so I'm certainly not judging Villa fans. They know what they've ben watching. It's the board I'd question, and not just Villa's either. Backing a manager, giving him the money to sign who he wants to sign, then firing him because he's earned 6 points out of 18 playing the same crap football he was playing the season before is what makes no sense to me.

The other thing that strikes me about Villa managers is what downbeat demeanours so many of them seem to adopt. Mcleish, Lambert and Bruce all just seem to have been so weighed down. Even Sherwood, who was so full of it after the two wins over Albion, ended up looking he hadn't slept for a month. I'm sure there's something wrong at that club that is way beyond the power of its managers, and ends up overwheming them.

Comment

Managers are mainly totemic objects nowadays, like Mayan kings. They're appointed, worshiped, then ritually slaughtered at the first screams of "The Gods are angry, and must be appeased."

Next up for the sacrificial flame? 'Arry can't be far off. Especially as Brum are at Leeds tomorrow.

"If they'd only let me bring a few in..."

Comment

Terry to take over as player manager?

Comment

There are rumours Ancelotti's off to China in the new year.

Comment

Well West Ham won so I guess it'll just be the one sacking this week

Comment

The discussion on Radio 5 this morning was whether Frank dB was hard done by.

Comment

It's stupid to freak out after four defeats on the trot. I don't know whether de Boer is a good manager, but you have to be delusional to think that Crystal Palace won't have a patch of four defeats.

Bundesliga clubs are just as quick to pull the trigger, though I'm pleased that my lot is taking the three defeats in the opening the games with calm. It may well be five in succession by Sunday. Köln are playing Arsenal on Thursday and Dortmund on Sunday (both away). I hope Stöger won't get fired even if they lose ten in a row.
                                            Last edited by G-Man; 12-09-2017, 07:58.

Comment

Hodgson doesn't expect to be there long:

In the obligatory photo "new boss holds scarf aloft, promises glory", he leaves the engine running.

(Edit ... bugger, they changed the photo. He was in his car.)
                                              Last edited by tee rex; 12-09-2017, 18:35.

Comment

PM for Tee Rex.

Comment

Apparently Harry Redknapp is now looking for new opportunities...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X