Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPOILER ALERT:
    Pardew still not sacked.

Add me to the “Also thought Hughes had previously managed Southampton” collective. This seems like a significant change of direction for them - reverting to tapping into the pool of also-rans following their recent policy of appointing foreign coaches I usually hadn’t previously heard of.

Comment

Yes, this – on both counts. Southampton have done well over a number years making 'progressive' managerial appointments, thus is feels odd to see them lurch back into the "safe pair of hands" pool. It would be like Swansea suddenly appointing Pardew next, or something.

Hughes is so much of that cadre of middling, usually British managers who've spent the past 15 years shuttling around between the cadre of middling teams* that tend to either fill 8th-17th spots in the Premier League and/or bounce between the upper divisions – it comes as something of a surprise to discover that, in the metaphorical random draw that appears to pair each of these managers with a different one of these clubs every 9 months or so, the two have never come out of the hat together before, so to speak.

(*notwithstanding his tenure at Man City, which looks ever more like a surreal outlier as time goes on)
      Last edited by Various Artist; 20-03-2018, 13:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
        I saw John Carver floating around in the background behind Pardew on Match of the Day.

Comment

Originally posted by colinwasp View Post
          And Westley presumably to return to Stevenage, to take charge against Barnet in the game most likely to send us back down to the Conference for a third time.
          Not Westley, but his former assistant.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
            SPOILER ALERT:
            Pardew still not sacked.

Add me to the “Also thought Hughes had previously managed Southampton” collective. This seems like a significant change of direction for them - reverting to tapping into the pool of also-rans following their recent policy of appointing foreign coaches I usually hadn’t previously heard of.
            Grrr. You got me there, horn. <shakes fist>.

I think tapiocahead came up with the only explanation for how he hasn't been sacked on the previous page. It must be that there's a clause in his contract meaning we can get rid of him cheaply if we get relegated.

Comment

Reading Stam canned.

Comment

Wouldn't you know it, we play them next week.

Comment

Surely QPR can’t be that far away from enjoying their New Manager Bounce?

Comment

We've had plenty of new managers in recent years but never had so much as a tremble out of any of them in their first games, never mind a bounce.

I think we've got another year of Olly in any case. There's optimism in the air as the team's been doing reasonably well lately, and he's got a year left on his contract. The club's purse strings are very tight these days, they couldn't afford to pay him off even they wanted to. Which, unless he goes on another one of his famous six game losing streaks, they probably don't.

Comment

Have you heard Danny Gabbidon talking about Olly? Fascinating.

Comment

Yes, he's a bit kinder to him than Mark Hughes, which is maybe to be expected.

Comment

Karl Robinson leaves Charlton by mutual consent. Lee Bowyer in charge for Saturday ...

Comment

And we're playing them at Easter...

Comment

Clement in for Reading. Not thrilling, but Jaap Stam had no chance of turning it around, so let's see how he goes.

Comment

I think Clement's more of a coach than a motivator. With luck it'll take him a few matches to turn the pseudo-hoops around.

Comment

We (Charlton) are going to be a mess until the ownership situation is sorted out; I want to say it doesn't really matter who the manager is until then (of course, it actually does, we'd probably do marginally better with, say, Pep versus being coached by myself, you know what I mean though).

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                    pseudo-hoops
                                    HEY!

Comment

Tee hee!

OK. Given the pixelated abortion your lot are wearing this season quasi-hoops might be a more accurate description.

Comment

Amor has boarded the banter bus?! Truly these are the end times.

Clement has moved from 'bright young furrin-trained technocoach' to 'another name on the managerial merrygoround' in the blink of an eye, hasn't he?

Comment

Yeah, apologies to Sits. There's a kit based back and forth on the clubs' boards that relieves the boredom of the international break. I got carried away.

Agree regarding Clement. Expected by many to become our manager after Redknapp (lots of talk by Fernandes about having found "the manager of the future.") Instead we hired Chris Ramsey, who — poor bloke — got all kinds of grief for not being Paul Clement. Now it seems like we might have dodged a bullet, as Ramsey's doing formidable work with our youth team.

Comment

If there’s one person you know would mean banter with no malice, it’s surely AdC.

Comment

And he's right about the stupid dot-edged hoops. See also Huddersfield's stripes. Hope Puma didn't do either of the Milans or Atletico this season. <doesn't bother checking>

Comment

Scunthorpe sack Graham Alexander.

Although the team is STILL somehow in a play off spot, they're second bottom of the 2018 form table, with one win in 12. Above only Bradford, who also sacked their manager while in a play off spot.

He had made some strange decisions this season, with an unwillingness to tolerate/manage ego from his better players (Madden and van Veen both moved on), and there was certainly a suggestion that he could no longer locate the dressing room.

Comment

Emery to be replaced by Conte at PSG says Grauniad.

Comment

Another monied club falling apart: Shaw Lane have lost four on the spin and consequently sacked their manager last night. Biggest budget in the NPL and they're not even in the play off places (admittedly they have games in hand). Ho ho ho.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X