Sacked Managers 2017/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
    I heard someone the other day saying that if you were a club in West Brom's position and Pulis were available then that is exactly the manager you would be going for.
    Which is of course exactly what they did just under three years ago.

By being sacked, he can still claim he has never been relegated. And maintain that even if West Brom do subsequently go down, seeing as he has been dismissed when they weren't even in the bottom three.

Apparently Alan Pardew is one of the favourites to take over. Oh the humanity!

P.S. this means West Brom can resume their loveable trend of losing to Stoke, I hope. Pulis had put a stop to that, unfortunately.

Comment

Hmm, if you could guarantee the good six months at the beginning, you could fire him in the summer. But otherwise, if you are appointing Alan Pardew, then you deserve to go down. As a board, you are too stupid to be in charge of a premier league club.

Comment

"Careful what you wish for" is such patronising shite and unsurprisingly Jonathan Pearce came out with it earlier. If he'd been referring to Gary Megson however I'd have agreed with him.

Comment

I hear Harry Redknapp's available...

Comment

The football's been dire for at least a year but it has taken an even worse turn this season, this despite us having a half decent transfer window. So yes, megson's role has to be looked at more closely. This will happen immediately as he has been made caretaker manager.

I took my son to his first game a couple of years ago. It didn't feel like the momentous event it should have been. A truly awful 0-0 draw against Southampton. No shots on target. Barely even a corner to get excited about. I might try to take him up again now. (actually, I definitely will be doing so. The wolves fans in his class have been crowing nauseatingly and his head is starting to get turned).

Agreed with what everyone has said about the national media. Not clued up about the smaller clubs in the premier league (I and many others could see this coming weeks ago,) and many of them are also pally with pulis. The obvious worry is who do we go for? When Jeremy peace was at the helm I always felt we were in safe hands when making an appointment (although admittedly, Pepe mel was a bit left field). This new owner is an unknown quantity so who knows?

Comment

Didn't Jeremy Peace appoint Alan Irvine? That appointment was so stupid it beggared belief.

Good posts by all the WBA supporters, it sounds as if the club are looking for the proverbial safe pair of hands.

Comment

A glance at the comments section in a Guardian piece on Pulis makes for a dismaying read, with critical factions divided into 'he would've kept you up' 'I hope you get relegated because of this' and 'you're just West Brom, what else did you think you'd expect?'. The discourse was being conducted by people who seemed to be channelling Paul Merson. Jaw-dropping.

Comment

People said exactly the same about Stoke when they dispensed with Pulis, which was clearly neccesary as the team had been getting rapidly worse in much the same manner as West Brom recently. OK, Mark Hughes has hardly been inspiring and there are very few signs of Stoke moving up a level despite now having a squad with many more quality Footballers than in Pulis' time, but 9th, 9th, 9th, 13th are decent finishes and better than any other Stoke manager has achieved since Tony Waddington. The only time Stoke looked under threat of being dragged into the relegation battle was last time around.
                  It would be unfair on Pulis not to note his importance in establishing Stoke as a top flight team, but what he brings isn't as unique as many like to think.
                  And the same was said about Leicester when Nigel Pearson was sacked, of course. Football clubs are less cults of personality than some supporters/sections of the media believe them to be.

Comment

This new owner is an unknown quantity so who knows?

The problem with Guochuan Lai is that he has to rely on the same old people who are pretty much the staple of bread-and-butter English clubs: middle-aged businessmen types who have the narrowest view and don't have much imagination. Pardew's name cropped up because that's precisely the type of manager you'd expect staid, polite individuals such as Albion's chairman John Williams to go for. The available instead of the exceptional, the latter, of course, pundits like Jonathon Pearce get indignant about when the lower orders have the temerity to ask for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                      P.S. this means West Brom can resume their loveable trend of losing to Stoke, I hope. Pulis had put a stop to that, unfortunately.
                      Pulis had actually gone some way towards reversing the trend, but Roy Hodgson managed a win at the Britannia Stadium in 2011/2012.

I well remember Albion hammering Stoke 6-0 in 88/89 during a golden little run under Brian Talbot. Never thought then that we'd achieve one win in the following 36 league meetings, or whatever it was. Denis Smith oversaw a cup win too, in 97/98.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                        When Jeremy peace was at the helm I always felt we were in safe hands when making an appointment (although admittedly, Pepe mel was a bit left field). This new owner is an unknown quantity so who knows?
                        Jon, I think the really left-field thing about Mel's appointment was that it was made mid-season with the team looking in trouble. With his limited English and ideas of how to play that were very very different to what the players were used to, he was always going to find that situation difficult. But he did at least keep us in the division, and there were one or two genuinely good performances. Given a close-season and time to really get his ideas across, he might have been a good appointment. In an odd way, he was more of a fit for Albion than Pulis ever was.

You'd often find words like 'disastrous' or 'catastrophic' alongside Mel's name in national media though, probably courtesy of those same people who are saying Pulis shouldn't have been fired.

Comment

People said exactly the same about Stoke when they dispensed with Pulis, which was clearly neccesary as the team had been getting rapidly worse in much the same manner as West Brom recently. OK, Mark Hughes has hardly been inspiring and there are very few signs of Stoke moving up a level despite now having a squad with many more quality Footballers than in Pulis' time, but 9th, 9th, 9th, 13th are decent finishes and better than any other Stoke manager has achieved since Tony Waddington. The only time Stoke looked under threat of being dragged into the relegation battle was last time around.
                          It would be unfair on Pulis not to note his importance in establishing Stoke as a top flight team, but what he brings isn't as unique as many like to think.
                          And the same was said about Leicester when Nigel Pearson was sacked, of course. Football clubs are less cults of personality than some supporters/sections of the media believe them to be.

It's the lumpen snobbery that dismayed me, although it didn't surprise me. Following football (especially its successes) appears to make some people think they're direct descendants of royalty. In the discussion of what Baggies fans require of their next manager, it's a supreme irony that for a sport which labels itself as 'the beautiful game', there seems to be direct and huffy opposition by some whenever any request by them to make it a bit more, well, 'beautiful' is expressed. By the way, if the circumstances weren't so bitter, the recently expressed sentiment, that the manager engineering a relegation dogfight would be the best person to get a club out of a relegation dogfight, would be the best satirical line to match anything written by Armando Iannucci.
                          Last edited by ian.64; 21-11-2017, 11:08.

Comment

I've reached the point where the only opinions about football I can bear to read are the ones expressed on here. In particular the reading of message boards and facebook threads about ones own club is an incredibly painful reminder of how our own perceived identity is something that can never be truly owned. See also Brexit.

Comment

Totally agree with Ian. Pundits and expert fans always sneer "who are you going to get who's better than Bruce/Pulis? He'll get you up/keep you in the division."

I don't know who we'll get, hopefully someone I've never heard of before who'll try and play some fucking football. Obviously the boards of clubs don't care about that, but it has been noticeable for years that fans of clubs not involved in the top 4 bunfight are growing sick of being told just be grateful for being there.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                I've reached the point where the only opinions about football I can bear to read are the ones expressed on here. In particular the reading of message boards and facebook threads about ones own club is an incredibly painful reminder of how our own perceived identity is something that can never be truly owned. See also Brexit.
                                This. Great posts on the Pulis/Coleman situations here.

Comment

The most aggravating thing is that these pundits bemoan the lack of chances being given to British managers at "the top level", but then they circulate the same old names each time a position comes up, names of managers who have already been around the block three or four times doing the same bang average job, lifting the team away from the drop zone and then spending every subsequent season doing just enough to stay up, because they think that is all the supporters want and will be enough to earn them another season at the club instead of setting their sights a bit higher and being a bit more ambitious. Nobody offers any new ideas, it's always going for "a safe pair of hands", "someone who knows how to motivate the team to pull clear of trouble", "someone like Sam Allardyce", "someone like Steve bloody Bruce", "someone like Tony fucking Pulis". Tony cunting motherfucking bastard twatting Pulis. Steve twatbastard cuntbucket fuckfrigtitwank Bruce. Fucking Big fucking Sam fucking fucking Allardyce fucking fucking fucking. Change the fucking record you bunch of fucking tedious fucking monotone cloned fucks.
                                  And then on the odd occasion that they are challenged on this opinion and whether there is someone new who should be given a chance, it's "what about someone who's been there and done it at the top level", "someone who has played under the top managers" "Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard... Ryan Giggs." "Surely it's time that Ryan Giggs was given a chance to show what he can do". Jesus fucking Christ on a fucking unicycle.
                                  The trouble is that these dull fucks form an opinion on something and the rest all nod and agree because heaven forfend they might actually challenge one another and risk undermining the happy lads locker room camaraderie and steer the fucking banter bus off the fucking road. Anyone who puts their head above the parapet and has a fresh idea or dares to suggest that what Paul or Tommo has said is actually a big pile of steaming worm infested horse shit that has been regurgitated by them every time the discussion about who Midtable United or Fortypointtarget Albion should get as their next manager since the day Sky Sports was launched will be dismissed as a heretic and burnt inside a large wicker effigy of Ron Atkinson.

Comment

Oh, and Harry Redknapp. Harry Redknapp is available. Who wouldn't want Harry Redknapp at their club. Cheeky chappie Harry Redknapp. Friend of the hacks Harry Redknapp. Wheeler dealer Harry Redknapp. Ducking and a-diving Gor blimey Harry Redknapp. Nudge nudge wink wink leaning out of a Range Rover window Harry Redknapp. Dodgy geezer iffy payment canine fucking bank account can Kevin come as my assistant Harry Redknapp. Fucking fucking bloody fucking bastard fucking twatting fucking knobbing fucking shitty fucking pissing fucking cunting fucking wanking fucking tossing fucking motherfucking Harry fucking Redknapp.
                                    Shoot me now.

Comment

I was very surprised that Pulis's reputation didn't take more of a battering after that Palace court case.

Comment

I was very surprised that Pulis's reputation didn't take more of a battering after that Palace court case

I suspect there's a cult of Pulis in the media that seems to find him as a slightly lovable uncle/granddad-type figure that just goes his own way, sticks to a familiar set of rules that could be taken for reliability, and ultimately sees him as harmless. Jonathan Pearce's gushing stream of sentiment towards Pulis on 5Live last night - he's lovely, a family man, warm-hearted, don't you know, etc. - points to a section of the football media that inexplicably has a soft spot for him.

Comment

The way Pearce informed the listeners that he'd swapped texts with Pulis yesterday was simultaneously comical and nauseating.

Good work Sean, you've pithily expressed what many feel.

Comment

I just hope no one thinks 'That Paul Hurst bloke is working fucking miracles. Let's give him a go in the Prem.'

Comment

I think that he should return to the club where he holds the record for number of appearences...

Comment

He was there last Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                  I just hope no one thinks 'That Paul Hurst bloke is working fucking miracles. Let's give him a go in the Prem.'
                                                  I shouldn't think more than a couple of the pundit brigade have even heard of him, and if anybody mentioned his name to them the stock answer would be "well, he's untried at this level..."

Comment

Which is one benefit of the punditocracy.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X