No announcement yet.

Sacked Managers 2017/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's probably a job going at Leicester soon.

Comment

That would never work.

Comment

Originally posted by Anorak Smith View Post
        I must say that I could never really forgive Brian Talbot for the 1978 FA Cup semi-final, not that he did anything wrong other than shattering my dreams. Incidentally, I occasionally take the little Anoraks to watch Chorley, and Paul Mariner's picture hangs in the club house bringing back painful memories.
        My main memory of that match is John Wile's magnificent head bandage.

Comment

Former Leicester City boss Claudio Ranieri sacked by Nantes

He's paid the price for a poor second half of the season.

Comment

Lucien Favre also gone from OGCN. When one adds Emery, that is arguably the three managers with the highest international profile gone from Ligue 1

Comment

Apols to Antepli about Ranieri-Nantes, didn't see it.

Favre was let go though, or maybe it is one of these rare real "by mutual consent" decisions.

Nice are disappointed to finish 8th and to miss out on the Europa League and possibly more (CL) after a good first half of the season. More generally, this big "Nice Project" (to install Nice in the top 4) with the new stadium etc. is proving more difficult (and costly) than originally anticipated when Rivière bought the club in 2011 and then when it was taken over by a Chinese-American consortium in 2016 with Rivière as a minority shareholder. They finish 24 points behind the third-placed team (CL qualification), it's a lot.

Balotelli (43 goals/65 matches) is on his way out (there was talk of him going to Marseille if OM qualified for the CL, now could go to Roma or any other club involved in the CL), other key players, such as 16-league goals Pléa, are also rumoured to want a move (or a pay rise). Favre was costing Nice €2.5 million a year in wages, it's an awful lot for a glorified mid-table French club, it's possible that they didn't try too hard to keep him but essentially, I think he wanted to go.

Favre leaves Nice as Borussia Dortmund post awaits
              Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 20-05-2018, 13:11.

Comment

Ouai, my sense is that both parties were ready for a change.

Balotelli is back in the frame for the national team, so that sojourn definitely worked for him.

Seri, on the other hand, was clearly destabilised by the Barcelona rumours over the summer and was a shadow of his former self this season.
                Last edited by ursus arctos; 20-05-2018, 15:43.

Comment

Quite, Balo defo "s’est refait la cerise" (bounced back) there. Seri will probably get his big move this summer.

This could be the end of a successful era at Nice (4th in 2013 and 2016, 3rd in 2017), Puel, Ben Arfa, and now Balotelli and Favre gone, with Pléa likely to follow them after 4 years at the club (unless he gets a massive pay rise, he's on €150K/month, Balo was on €450K), the stadium only 60% full, the new owners having cold feet about splashing out (how long will they stick around for?), Dante as captain... Hell could be round the corner. I don’t know, I’m not mega optimistic for the Aiglons, we could soon see them back in their natural habitat of mid-table mediocrity after a bit of a fairytale half-decade.

Comment

They certainly wouldn't be the first to make a big splash in Nice, only to quietly slink out of town a few years later.

fear that we may be seeing the emergence of a Big Three in France (Monaco, OL and OM, PSG being on another level) that could prove to be as difficult to crack as England's Big Six.

It certainly isn't the league that the likes of Auxerre, Lens and Montpellier won.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                      fear that we may be seeing the emergence of a Big Three in France (Monaco, OL and OM, PSG being on another level) that could prove to be as difficult to crack as England's Big Six. It certainly isn't the league that the likes of Auxerre, Lens and Montpellier won.
                      You couldn’t be more wrong mon pauvre ursus. I’ll tell you what’s going to happen. Within years, PSG will self-destruct under the weight of their dressing-room egos, Lyon will get their karma for having inflicted on French football the vilest chairman in the land for the past three decades, Monaco’s economy will nosedive when international pressure to clamp down on tax havens pays off – anytime soon then – and a narco war between the Corsicans and the Albanians will wipe out Olympique Marseille.

Amid this scene of desolation, a couple of Chinese gazillionaires will arrive and fall hopelessly in love with the galettes-saucisses of the Roazhon Park stadium and the Kouign-amann of the Côtes-d'Armor and put their billions into Rennes and Guingamp.

(Mind, Stade Rennais has François Pinault who’s got a bob or two but it’s fair to say he’s more into buying Paul Nashes and John Constables than Liam Nashes and James Constables).

Comment

It’s the hope that kills you . . .

Comment

"It’s the hope that kills you . . ." would be an excellent title for a Sunderland ‘zine. It would be a natural, pithy update on:

Comment

John Still back at Barnet as Martin Allen moves on to Chesterfield. I think we may have got the better of that deal.

Comment

The spelling error in 'independent' is messing with my eyes a bit there.

Comment

My local "independant greengrocers" [sic] have that same error all over the properly-made signs on their shop. They only put them up a year or two ago.

Comment

Must be part of an "independant" spelling movement. Probably a misprint, this indicates that the printers took liberties with the cover page set-up and probably the spelling too:

ITHICS - It’s The Hope I Can’t Stand: Twenty years on; the legacy of a cult Sunderland fanzine

Amazingly everything came together and on the day of the first fixture, we took delivery of two battered boxes containing our baby. Irritatingly, the front cover was printed incorrectly. It should have been in red, black and white, for obvious reasons.

Spelt correctly elsewhere:

Comment

Gary Rowett asks for permission from Derby to talk to Stoke about their vacant job.

If he goes it will be his fourth managerial job and all of them will have been within a 50 mile or so radius in the Midlands, won’t they? He must hate moving house.

Comment

De Boer and Stam are the favourites for the Swansea job. FFS.

Comment

Clint Hill has joined Joey Barton at Fleetwood as assistant manager. Maybe he'll manage to stop him chinning a ref for a month or two

Comment

There's a report in the Guardian that Chris Coleman might be off to, erm, Sunderland.

Meanwhile the BBC are going with Unai Emery as the new Arsenal manager. Hope he gets nicknamed "David".

Comment

'Dick' more likely.

Comment

Ooh you are awful etc

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                                There's a report in the Guardian that Chris Coleman might be off to, erm, Sunderland.
                                                Was about to start a "De-sacked managers" thread to mention this. Quite bizarre. Apparently the new owner who is by no means an absolute chancer has claimed Coleman leaving was all Ellis Short's work, and that he wouldn't "necessarily exclude" Coleman from his considerations. So not as exciting as the headline would suggest, but.. what a truly bizarre football club they are.

Comment

For legal (arse-covering) reasons? Seems to be a popular explanation on the ALS forum: https://www.readytogo.net/smb/thread...turns.1431564/

Comment

Originally posted by dogbeak View Post
                                                    Was about to start a "De-sacked managers" thread
                                                    You mean like this one?
                                                    https://www.onetouchfootball.com/sho...acked-managers

Comment

Working...
                                                    X