• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holger Czukay, RIP

Just what it says on the, errr... tin.

Ah fuck you, 2017. RIP

Comment

(Thought this thread would be awash with replies and messages of condolence. Oh well, here's one.)

RIP Holger C - another true musical innovator of the late-twentieth century: the music of Can (especially Tago Mago and Flow Motion) is high on the 'go-to' list for something inspirational to combat writer's block and the like.

Edit: On the other hand, 6Music have just played Outside My Door in tribute - which still sounds like it could've been The Stooges or MC5.
      Last edited by Jah Womble; 06-09-2017, 09:14.

Comment

That raised a grim smile, evilC!

An incredible innovator without whom 20th and particularly 21st century music would be hard to imagine.

I'd heard he was quite ill recently, around the time of the recent Barbican event, so this did not come as a surprise, but it's still the end of an era, more so perhaps than with Jaki Liebezeit – even though the latter has a strong case for being the greatest drummer of all time.

Comment

I've seen some touching appreciations from his collaborators and those who were inspired by him.

Comment

I must admit that I've never given Can much of a chance. Where to start?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
              I've seen some touching appreciations from his collaborators and those who were inspired by him.
              Speaking as an occasional musician, you can't go wrong being inspired by Can. Their working methods - basically, play, play and play some more until beauty emerges, then keep playing, always keeping the groove in mind - were key to their magnificence.

Inca, wow. I'd suggest 'Future Days'*, it being the most gorgeously tuneful of their albums. Though it's good to see Jah Womble cite 'Flow Motion' - their post-Damo work gets a bit ignored sometimes.

*That link needs playing at double speed.

Comment

Thanks. I've been enjoying the groove of "Halleluhwah" while working just now.

Comment

Ege Bam Yasi is just glorious as well, and Spoon and Vitamin C are probably some of the most accessible stuff they made, but seconded for Future Days. The title track and Moonshake just beam sunshine and water and slinky groove possibilities. Convinced Oh Yeah on Tago Mago set up Radiohead's whole Serious Music you can Bop to phase.
                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 06-09-2017, 22:11.

Comment

Working...
                  X