No announcement yet.

Sports with the most posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is more of an illustration than hard and fast science.

(Or, to put it another way, buggered if I'm reading through thousands of posts on hundreds of threads...)

But, one of the things that prompted me to do this was the forum description:

Razor-sharp analyses of cricket, rugby (posh and northern), darts, er, snooker, baseball, American football, running and stuff, weightlifting, horseracing, cycling, bowls, fishing. And that's just for starters

which doesn't include Tennis.
    Last edited by Kevin S; 06-09-2017, 11:24.

Comment

Is there a fishing thread even?

Comment

No, nothing coming up on the search. Nor weightlifting.

I suggest that Tennis and Basketball would fit the bill better, if Snake is passing by...?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          Do we need a caveat about tangents? Thread drift is always a problem.
          Less so when a monomaniac is responsible for 75% of the posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
            No, nothing coming up on the search. Nor weightlifting.

I suggest that Tennis and Basketball would fit the bill better, if Snake is passing by...?
            Similarly, given that the majority posting about Rugby Union are Welsh, I'm not convinced that 'posh' is the best epithet. Maybe celtic and northern?

Comment

And here's my attempt at last year's stats:
              Sport Posts (Approx., 2016)
              Tennis 2289
              Cricket 1776
              Cycling 1433
              Baseball 1333
              Olympics and Paralympics 1262
              Rugby U 1011
              American Football 679
              Rugby League 556
              Ice hockey 345
              Basketball 300
              Golf 184
              Speedway 141
              Snooker 134
              F1 and Motorsport 114
              GAA 101
              Boxing* 97
              Horse racing 66
              Handball 40
              Darts* 34
              Indoor Bowls* 4
              Again the starred threads are based on approximations from longer running threads.

Tennis retained its crown, with Rugby Union dropping from second to sixth due to 2015 having a World Cup. The Four Nations helped boost Rugby League, as did the Cubs' historic win in the World Series (edit - boosting Baseball, not RL, that is). We also saw the once-every-four-years mega Olympics thread barge into the top five non-football sports for 2016. Another new entry was Handball, thanks to Levin. And revamping the F1 annual thread to include other codes of car racing helped to improve its post count.
              Last edited by Kevin S; 06-09-2017, 13:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                Less so when a monomaniac is responsible for 75% of the posts.
                Ha, takes one to know one... ;-)

Comment

Yeah, I thought that was a bit of a harsh comment, until I realised it was the resident monomaniac who'd actually made it...

Meanwhile though, Janik:
                  Similarly, given that the majority posting about Rugby Union are Welsh, I'm not convinced that 'posh' is the best epithet.
                  Hey, the two things aren't mutually exclusive you know.

Comment

Oh, and
                    * Indoor bowls has a rolling (ha!) thread
                    *applause*, sir.

Comment

On the subject of tangents, probably just as well the table tennis/ping pong/wiff waff thread wasn't included - that thread is more tangent than table tennis

Comment

Similarly, given that the majority posting about Rugby Union are Welsh, I'm not convinced that 'posh' is the best epithet. Maybe celtic and northern?
                        The sport is posh. Rugby superiority propaganda 101 "We applaud the winners off", "We don't swear at the referee" etc

Loads of oiks watch the boat race on the telly. Doesn't make it a working class sport.

Comment

Total fucking bollocks. I'd like you to have told the crowd I was part of in Rodney Parade last Saturday that rugby is "posh". That's before you get in to how dull and irrelevant bracketing sports as for a certain class is anyway.

This was an interesting thread and Janik's comment a light-hearted aside. If it's going to get caught up in boring shit like this it will be a real shame.
                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 06-09-2017, 23:12.

Comment

You take me too seriously, Ray. You should give my contributions on rugby the same amount of consideration as you do for Janik.

(Where I grew up though, rugby was the sport of private schools and the grasping middle class. Took a girl from Gloucester to teach me otherwise.)

Comment

Alright then, I withdraw the venom of my remarks. I've been keeping quiet about "Rugby U" too!

Comment

I thought that was preferable to "Rugby Union" - no offence meant. (Though I see I've just flitted between both throughout!)

Comment

I confess I had no idea that the abbreviation Rugby U offended fans of that sport. Good to know

Comment

Technically it should be called football of course.

RAY, THIS IS ANOTHER JOKE

Comment

Back O/T

The redoubtable Kevin S has noted how the Olympics has placed highly in the listing for 2016. However I still think it shouldn't be formally ranked because that is a discussion of several sports including several that have their own threads.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                        I confess I had no idea that the abbreviation Rugby U offended fans of that sport. Good to know
                                        Oh, it doesn't at all, though I must admit I've never seen it before.

Comment

Had a quick look to see what's been going on with the Sport threads in 2017. Sumo could be in line for a top ten (of sports not threads)* - remarkable given the thread started after four of the six Basho had been completed.

Baseball 2017 is going to claim the longest thread I think unless there's much more rugby union or tennis left to play this year.

* Edit, no it won't, I can see at least ten others which are higher
                                          Last edited by Kevin S; 29-11-2017, 09:03.

Comment

Ah, I see there's still Wales v South Africa and European Cup matches to go for rugby union. Baseball's lead may yet be in reach.
                                            Last edited by Kevin S; 29-11-2017, 09:03.

Comment

The new rugby thread is all ready to go once the European games have been played.

Comment

You suggest new text, I'll change it.

Comment

Time for a crowd edit. I'll kick off with:

Razor-sharp analyses of cricket, rugby, tennis, baseball, cycling, other sports also called football (American, Gaelic, Aussie and Canadian), running and stuff, horseracing, hockey (with and without ice), cars and bikes going round really fast, basketball, golf, snooker, handball, er, sumo, darts, and indoor bowls. And that's just for starters.

Too much? Even this misses out yer shinty/camogie, the odd swimming thread and some other combat sports, or anything involving boats.
                                                  Last edited by Kevin S; 29-11-2017, 14:30.

Comment

OK, I've done a tally for 2017, and the raw data is as below. With it being the current year, it's been relatively easy to see which threads have been active since 1 January and establish how many posts there have been on them. For some sports such as NFL and NBA I've recorded the annual posts - e.g. in the NFL's case that means the 2016 postseason plus the 2017 regular season.

Demerit points for Hockey (Ice), College football and darts for having a lack of clarity about which thread is current when.

I may need to revisit this in the new year as some of them might still move on a little way (unless we pretend the fourth Test isn't happening...?)

Sport Thread Posts in 2017
                                                    Darts PDC ('nails at a wall') 18
                                                    Tennis Australian Open 146
                                                    Basketball NCAA 57
                                                    Horse Racing Cheltenham 36
                                                    Golf Masters 31
                                                    American Football NFL (2016 postseason) 231
                                                    Snooker World championships 17
                                                    Cycling Giro d'Italia 303
                                                    Tennis French Open 181
                                                    Cricket ICC CT 157
                                                    Cycling Race Across America 52
                                                    Aussie Rules 2017 thread 0
                                                    Tennis Wimbledon 391
                                                    Cricket Women's World Cup 91
                                                    Cycling Tour de France 606
                                                    Swimming World championships 6
                                                    Athletics/Para-athletics World championships 229
                                                    Cricket England v South Africa 335
                                                    Basketball NBA (end of 2016-17) 112
                                                    Table tennis Rolling thread ('wiff waff') 1
                                                    Badminton Rolling thread ('fail') 15
                                                    Cricket Women's Super League 17
                                                    American Football College (Urban renewal thread) 71
                                                    Cycling Vuelta a Espaņa & Tour of Britain 175
                                                    Tennis US Open 357
                                                    Tennis US Open series 8
                                                    Cricket England v West Indies 324
                                                    Cricket County Championship 420
                                                    Speedway 2017 thread 78
                                                    Cycling 2017 thread 701
                                                    Horse Racing Rolling thread ('Channel 4') 20
                                                    Hockey (Ice) 2017-18 thread ('Maroon') 27
                                                    Handball Rolling thread (2016/17) 17
                                                    International Rules 2017 thread 4
                                                    GAA 2017 thread 102
                                                    Basketball 2017-18 thread 16
                                                    Tennis Davis Cup and Fed Cup 52
                                                    F1 and motorsport 2017 thread 271
                                                    A non-sporting event MacGregor v Mayweather 56
                                                    Sumo Rolling thread ('How about…') 69
                                                    Golf Open 29
                                                    Baseball 2017 thread 912
                                                    Rugby League 2017 thread 244
                                                    Boxing Rolling thread ('Pound for…') 53
                                                    Cricket Internationals (rolling thread) 388
                                                    Tennis 2017 thread ('…Scottish God') 677
                                                    Darts Rolling thread ('…on Sky') 3
                                                    Rugby Union 2017 thread 844
                                                    American Football College (2017 thread) 109
                                                    American Football NFL (2017 regular season) 137
                                                    Cricket Ashes (in progress) 486
                                                    Hockey (Ice) Rolling thread (?) ('Hot Ice') 224
                                                    Last edited by Kevin S; 20-12-2017, 13:40.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X