Alabama Getaway - 2017 College Football Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alabama Getaway - 2017 College Football Thread

For the last couple of decades I've far preferred the college game to the pros.

Inca, I hope you did not turn off your set last night like I did when it got way out of hand. Surfing the sports headlines this morning gave me a serious shock (thought it was a joke) to find UCLA had comeback from 34 pts!

Aggies & Longhorns lose their openers? A very good start!

Big upset from Howard over UNLV. Rebels were a 45 pt. favorite and got beat by a Bison team led by Cam Newton's little (5' 11") brother.

Falwell U. (Liberty) beats Baylor Baptists in another upset. Talk about two teams I'd always cheer to lose.

FSU gets pounded by Bama and the Seminoles lose their starting QB for the season.

Next week my Sooners head to Columbus where I hope they can keep it close. Buckeyes favored early by 7 - I think that is really conservative.

EDIT - JV, great minds think alike!
    Last edited by Cal Alamein; 05-09-2017, 02:05. Reason: Should have scrolled a bit farther down to see urban renewal renewed

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post

Inca, I hope you did not turn off your set last night like I did when it got way out of hand. Surfing the sports headlines this morning gave me a serious shock (thought it was a joke) to find UCLA had comeback from 34 pts!

Big upset from Howard over UNLV. Rebels were a 45 pt. favorite and got beat by a Bison team led by Cam Newton's little (5' 11") brother.

Falwell U. (Liberty) beats Baylor Baptists in another upset. Talk about two teams I'd always cheer to lose.

FSU gets pounded by Bama and the Seminoles lose their starting QB for the season.

Next week my Sooners head to Columbus where I hope they can keep it close. Buckeyes favored early by 7 - I think that is really conservative.

EDIT - JV, great minds think alike!
    I guess UCLA was inspired by a small plucky school nearby that came back from immense odds against Penn State last year in the Rose Bowl.

Was impressed by Michigan. On the 2nd pick 6, I figured they were toast. But Florida literally had nothing on offense.

Comment

I liked it more when Harbaugh wore the Clubmasters. They suited him.

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post
        I guess UCLA was inspired by a small plucky school nearby that came back from immense odds against Penn State last year in the Rose Bowl.
        We came back against them first. It was like an Arena game, really.

Beating a MAC team 52-0 may not seem like a big deal, but it's been so long since we went into a game as a 30 pt favorite and covered. I think we'll go 10-2. Which is ok, I guess. It's just nice to see a positive atmosphere around the athletic department these days. I didn't go to the game. I plan to go to two or three this year. That's fine. I need to save money.

William & Mary lost to UVa by a respectable 28-10. It would be nice to beat them, but the gap between Big 5 conference teams and non-Big 5 conference teams, let alone 1AA teams like W&M has grown and Bronco Mendenhall seems to be doing well with UVa, so maybe that's just how it is.

The Tribe made special shirts to show unity with Charlottesville

https://theundefeated.com/features/v...arlottesville/
        Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 05-09-2017, 16:08.

Comment

The Howard thing is crazy. Howard is, as far as I know, a de facto "1AAA" program. Not awarding as many full scholarships as the top 1AA (FCS) programs. But I'm not sure about that. They've not made much noise lately within the HBCU scene, let alone beyond it and I think Howard was thinking of cutting the program not long ago.

I agree that both of those schools are a odious, but Liberty is more malign, I think, than Baylor overall. Baylor has, as far as I know, at least purged the people involved in its most recent scandals. Liberty is still run as part of the Falwell family empire. And I know that at least some legitimate research comes from Baylor. I'm not sure Liberty can say the same.

And the new coach at Baylor is from State College, so I feel sort of bad for him, though I don't know him and he may be an asshole for all I know. I don't think he's a good fit there. He did very well at Temple - which is nothing to sneeze at - but doesn't have much experience recruiting in Texas. If the timing of a few things had worked out differently, he could have become the coach at Penn State.

Comment

Worth noting that the Athletic Director who was forced out of Baylor after the football team's gang rapes is now at Liberty.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Worth noting that the Athletic Director who was forced out of Baylor after the football team's gang rapes is now at Liberty.
              I forgot about that. FFS

Comment

Reed, good distinctions re: Baylor and Falwell U. Baylor has an excellent medical program, Liberty produces 20-somethings w/ law degrees who get important gigs w/ Repuke politicians.

I've liked Turner Gill from his Cornhusker days, however I wish he wasn't the "flames" coach.

Comment

Willie Nelson went to Baylor, that alone makes it inestimably better than Liberty.

Comment

I'll be damned. Sooners played balls out, Buckeyes were extremely flat and the 31-16 OU victory should have been larger. Despite an early missed FG and two fumbles, the Sooners mixed up the run and pass perfectly and the defense made uncharacteristically key stops to frustrate JD Barrett. Baker Mayfield was all over the field, channeling Fran Tarkenton, oblivious to the hostile 100,000+ crowd and playing one of his best-ever games.

I was excited this summer when "Big Game" Bob Stoops bailed, looked forward to Lincoln Riley taking over. For his second ever game as head coach Riley was in total control displaying excellent time management unlike his predecessor who was forever easily panicked and wasted time outs.

Finally, so satisfying seeing Urban Meyer pace the sidelines when his team is losing.

***Baylor now 0-2 with a loss at home to the mighty Roadrunners of UT San Antonio.

Comment

Maryland wins in Austin giggle.

Comment

One Bama fan is worried how a freshman QB from Hawaii is going to adapt to the language:

Comment

Also, yankees square dance.
                          http://sdfne.nesrdc.org/

Comment

Hell, we had to do square dancing in school (I have no idea why) in 4th grade in Southern California.

Comment

I'll be damned. Sooners played balls out, Buckeyes were extremely flat and the 31-16 OU victory should have been larger. Despite an early missed FG and two fumbles, the Sooners mixed up the run and pass perfectly and the defense made uncharacteristically key stops to frustrate JD Barrett. Baker Mayfield was all over the field, channeling Fran Tarkenton, oblivious to the hostile 100,000+ crowd and playing one of his best-ever games.
                              This was my first pick of games to watch off the TiVo this week, and pleasingly at the start Thing One asked why I'd picked it and I said cos I liked watching Mayfield, and so Thing One got drawn into watching the game as his performance played out.

I've had to do it over two evenings but I'm into the last few minutes of Clemson v Auburn. It's been close and they are using Baba O'Riley as the bumper music, so it's been worth sticking with.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                Hell, we had to do square dancing in school (I have no idea why) in 4th grade in Southern California.
                                Just be thankful you didn't have to skip round a fucking maypole. Our school actually had its own maypole and probably to justify the expenditure they had us practising on it for about January onwards.

Comment

5th grade for me. Gawd that sucked. You could tell that even the PE teacher and girls hated it. Let's just play kickball or dodgeball.

And that BAMA post is really really sad but not at all surprising.
                                  Last edited by Cal Alamein; 15-09-2017, 02:48.

Comment

My second grade teacher made us do it because she was way into it and was an awful person.

We also did some kind of shit dance unit in phys ed in 9th grade. It was just part of the hazing, I guess.

Comment

I forgot to mention this--as shared with me by Renart, someone noticed that the Southern Cal football media guide says that their loss to Texas in the 2006 Rose Bowl was invalidated by the NCAA under the Reggie Bush sanctions:

https://www.hookem.com/football-news...rose-bowl-loss

Except NCAA sanctions only overturn wins, which become losses. Losses stay losses. They really are trying to pretend that Vince Young stomping all over them never really happened.

Comment

All of that is bullshit anyway. Barring something really egregious, like using Tom Brady in disguise or something like that, they shouldn't be able to rewrite history like that.

Comment

Freshman walk on kicker wins it in double OT for a fortunate southern cal. Gutty performance for UT, especially their defense and true frosh qb.

Upset of day, Huskies of Nothern Illinois beat Nebraska in Lincoln.

Comment

Not really my sport, but I was very pleased to see SDSU Aztecs go 3-0 yesterday, and to do so by beating Stanford.

Comment

Freshman walk on kicker wins it in double OT for a fortunate southern cal. Gutty performance for UT, especially their defense and true frosh qb.

Upset of day, Huskies of Nothern Illinois beat Nebraska in Lincoln.
                                              Not quite sure why Power 5 teams would schedule Northern Illinois given their record. You could probably say the same for Memphis after they defeat UCLA...

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                Not really my sport, but I was very pleased to see SDSU Aztecs go 3-0 yesterday, and to do so by beating Stanford.
                                                That's good. Since they are now the best football team in San Diego, maybe they can do something. Are they going through with plans to rebuild Qualcomm to suit them? Unfortunately, they'ren in a second tier league, so their ceiling isn't too high.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLeam View Post
                                                  Not quite sure why Power 5 teams would schedule Northern Illinois given their record. You could probably say the same for Memphis after they defeat UCLA...
                                                  There are a couple teams like that, who are not reliably good enough to count as a big non-conference game but definitely loseable. But they still get games because they don't require a return trip.

The way it works now is that B1G teams - and maybe the Pac12 too - can only play three non-conference games a year. To make their athletic department budget, they need seven home games. Every other year they will have five home conference games and in the other years four. So that means over any two year stretch, they play six non-con games, of which five have to be at home. So two of the three non-con games will have to be against teams that don't expect a game at their home, i.e. teams that can make more money from their share of an away game at a big stadium than a home game at their own. MAC, SunBelt, etc teams are like that.

These arrangements makes financial sense for both sides. It means a lot of games like last night when PSU was a 38 pt favorite overnight Georgia State and won 56-0. But every now and then there's an upset. Though I don't know if UNi over Nebraska is a big upset, really.

Maybe if UNI can stay strong, they could get a home and home series against a bigger opponent and play their home game at Soldier Field.

First night game against a cupcake PSU has scheduled. It was for BTN. Not a lot of people tailgates all day, like we'll see for Michigan but the crowd was still pretty good.

W&M beat Bucknell, but I don't think it's our year.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X