Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Songs recorded with fade outs - live performances?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Songs recorded with fade outs - live performances?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, and grateful if anyone can point me to a thread with answers.

Does anyone have particular memories of hearing songs performed live which just fade out (e.g. on a fading repetitive pattern) in the studio recording version, and how the ending was adapted for live performance? I'm intrigued as to whether there's a general approach, and whether it leaves you thinking "why didn't you do that on the record?" or "Oh, yeah, there wasn't a good way to end that, was there, I can see why you went for fade-out".

In particular, I'm thinking of guitar "solo" fade-outs. Those are often frustrating because you just want it to go on for ever.

Here's a couple:

Wuthering Heights. The guitar outro is omitted completely. It isn't horrible, but it definitely doesn't work as well as the record.

This, OTOH, is horrible:

Goodbye to Love The record has one of the most glorious extended fades in the history of music, here it's replaced by an obnoxious and totally inappropriate drum solo. Argggh!

Comment

Wow. I share your reaction to that.

Comment

Wouldn't It Be Nice (Brian Wilson live version) slows down in the same way as just before the middle 8, repeats the slow 4 bars, then does the crash chord thing.

God Only Knows is better: just a repetition of the title by the lead vocalist while everyone else does a harmony chord.

Comment

Hallewulah from "The Can" (as Bobby Gillespie would say like a prick). I really wish that just continued forever. Or the proto techno whirring that starts on Future Days, just as it is fading out.

Comment

Depeche Mode, Never Let Me Down Again - an epic track that criminally fades on the recorded version - live, it gets the thunderous climax it desperately deserves

Comment

Not sure if this is what's inspired the thread or not, but Vox recently did a piece on the fade out (which has itself been fading out in popularity):

Why more pop songs should end with a fade out

Comment

Blur's "For Tomorrow", on record just fades away* almost quite limply, but live they bring it to a nice rallentando finish, which may be a bit unoriginal but it does work (which is perhaps why so many songs finish that way), certainly way better than a fade out...

*On the other hand, when they played their song "Fade Away" live, which also fades out on record, they finished it with a beautifully timed abrupt stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                  In particular, I'm thinking of guitar "solo" fade-outs. Those are often frustrating because you just want it to go on for ever.
                  I want guitar solos to stop after five seconds, tops.

Comment

Working...
                  X