All The Stations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All The Stations

Forget your Game of Thrones, these have been my viewing highlight of the summer. A series of YouTube videos covering a couple's attempt to 'visit' every station on the National Rail network of Great Britain. All 2,563 of them. (They have set their own rules on what constitutes a 'visit')

The project was crowdfunded which has allowed them to produce very professional 15 minute episodes of each day over the three months that they are taking to complete the task.

If you have any interest in either railways or more particularly Great Britain then I recommend them.

Anyway they are shortly coming to an end, but they are now in Scotland and the videos seem to be getting better and better - Helped by the stunning scenery.

Anyone else a fan? Or even appear on the videos?

All the stations

There's already a book out on people who visited every station in Britain.

Comment

I've been following it for a while - they've really grown on me. Their clear delight as the scenery gets more and more stunning and they find interesting stuff is very... real? Is that a good word?

Geoff missing the signs directing people between in Bradford Forster Square and Bradford Interchange was because of me. I had to do a short (very crap) video showing them what to look for.

Comment

Originally posted by George C. View Post
        There's already a book out on people who visited every station in Britain.
        They've not claimed to be the first.

I've seen various moans about the self-created rules, and find them to be Internet nitpicking at its finest.

Comment

Me and my train-mad son absolutely love it. It's fantastic.

I'm sure you know this, but Geoff's videos about trains of all sorts (especially the London Underground) are incredible

Comment

Another fan here - a colleague directed me towards Geoff Marshall's Londonist work a couple of years ago, and I've subscribed to his YouTube channel ever since.

When they announced the All the Stations project, I thought "excellent, that'll be a good 'un" - but even I wasn't prepared for just how terrific this series has been. It's been especially nice watching Vicki (who hadn't seen as much of Britain previously as Geoff had) react to the awesomeness of the landscapes as they've moved through Wales and further north through the bumpy bits of England and Scotland.

Comment

Another fan here too ... unfortunately I didn't stumble upon the project until a few days after they had visited my local stations, which I was particularly gutted about as the bloke they found to give them Welsh lessons was rubbish!

Comment

I am once again in OTF's debt, as this is absolutely up my street.

I may be some time.

Comment

I'd not heard of this until today but thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I saw these two interviewed on Breakfast TV before they set out to do it. They seemed genuinely nice people, genuinely in love and genuinely looking forward to it (sort of in that way that you go "Bleeurrgh, how sickly sweet!" while secretly being jealous of them).

Comment

Nice one Doraemon, enjoyed watching a view of these videos last night thanks to this thread. (With slightly gritted teeth while listening to the mangling of the Welsh language, admittedly, but hey.) Hats off to them for coming up with the mad plan, and the little travelogues are fun.

Comment

Hopefully they'll cross the pond to do the Belfast- Derry line next. The local cycling clubs regularly beat it in a 'sprint' challenge.

Comment

Fuck youse. Supposed to be studying for an exam tomorrow, so of course I'm watching this. They are great presenters, especially Vicki. Fuck Wemyss Bay station is so lovely I can't find the words.

Comment

The documentary is complete.

Comment

They're off again. All The Stations - Ireland

Comment

Meltin

Comment

My son met Geoff and Vicky at the Transport Museum a while back, it was ace.

I've not got too excited about All The Stations Ireland, just because in terms of sheer number of stations it seems such a smaller task than than the UK. However, I've been really enjoying Geoff's YouTube series where he visits the least used station in each county in England (or mainland UK? not sure which).

The least used station in Rutland is also the most used station in Rutland. Love this kinda shit.

Comment

I don't like it when normal people pretend to be presenters. Two minutes in and I'm already wincing at Vicki's over-exuberant gestures.
                                    Last edited by Mumpo; 03-04-2019, 13:03.

Comment

She's great. It's Geoff I think that has to be kept on track, so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                        Me and my train-mad son absolutely love it. It's fantastic.

I'm sure you know this, but Geoff's videos about trains of all sorts (especially the London Underground) are incredible
                                        Have you seen this year's April Fool about "London's Least Used Station" with its "cast of thousands"?

Comment

Looked up the episode featuring a little-used station I used to use when going to an ex's and it's gloriously made. Thanks for highlighting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumpo View Post
                                            I don't like it when normal people pretend to be presenters. Two minutes in and I'm already wincing at Vicki's over-exuberant gestures.
                                            I'm amused by the idea of presenters not being 'normal' people.

Of course, that's true in many cases.

Comment

Nice to see they've devoted a whole special episode to Teesside Airport station. I started at Teesside Polytechnic in 1987 but was living in halls of residence (ex RAF barracks) on the industrial estate adjoining the airport - yes, about 10k from the Poly itself centre of Middlesbrough. In those days the station had a regular service but it was still the bleakest place I've ever been in my life. I lasted till Christmas.
                                              Last edited by Mumpo; 04-04-2019, 10:38.

Comment

I like it enormously.

Two likeable and enthusiastic presenters.

Comment

Have we discussed Geoff's incredible Secrets Of The Underground series on YouTube? Hours, and hours, and hours, of amazing facts and history. It's just wonderful, some of those episodes I've ended up watching literally dozens of times.

Guy, I think on a similar note they did a 'secrets of the cable car' episode which, of course, was an April Fool's episode.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X