Books about Transgender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books about Transgender

Trans by Rogers Brubaker is a good overview of the literature and current debates

Beyond Trans, by Heath Fogg Davis, advocates the most radical option - simply abandon gender distinctions completely, especially in public provisions such as bathrooms. I tend to sympathize with that view as a very long term goal of human progress but have no idea how we get there.

Trans* by Jack Halberstam. The asterisk is crucial, and connects trans* to the concept of queer temporality, namely that to truly change the gender order you have to disrupt the patterns of time and space that make us structure our own lives and bodies in accordance with the structure of capitalism.

Comment

I read Trans: A Memoir by Juliet Jacques when it was published a few years ago. Moving and articulate account of her early life and her transition (and responses to it from co-workers and family). Grauniad review here https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...der-transition. I've had the pleasure of meeting her a few times.

Comment

Working...
      X