Current Reading - Books best thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was never assigned any Hemingway in school, and I couldn't get into him on my own. I did read The Old Man and the Sea, but it didn't move me at the time.

I'm currently reading Helter Skelter, by Vincent Bugliosi. I've been on a bit of a true crime kick lately. I wanted to read this before I started the recent Manson biography which got a lot of good reviews.

Comment

Helter Skelter's excellent. Which recent Manson bio?

Comment

Manson, by Jeff Guinn.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/18/books/review/manson-a-biography-by-jeff-guinn.html

Comment

I'm thinking of lining that one up. Let me know how it goes.

Comment

Pretty much nobody watched the recent David Duchovny series Aquarius, but it was built loosely around the Manson family circa '67 - '69. Worth watching, but cancelled.

Comment

Presently picking off the Hammetts and Chandlers I’ve missed (Collected Short Stories of the former, The Lady in the Lake, Playback the latter.) My current coffee shop book though is the unfortunately named Blitzed: Drugs in Nazi Germany. I got it from La Signora for Christmas — I think she won it in a raffle at her book club. It’s better than its title would suggest, but I’d like a steadier hand on the authorial tiller.

Norman Ohler is a novelist and it shows, not always in a good way. He’s a bit too fond of identifying a protagonist, which is not wholly a bad thing, unfortunately it’s often himself, which is. So we find our plucky researcher clambering over rusty barbed wire and broken glass, hunting for evidence in decrepit old Berlin laboratories. Unfortunately he never finds any. Instead he finds it in — surprise! — libraries. Most of which are, of course, dusty, poorly-filed and presided over by suspicious looking staff. After you’ve set all the sub-Bondian bollocks aside however Blitzed is a decent read, highlighting an aspect of German cultural history I wasn’t aware of. Essentially its about the growth of the nation’s pharmaceutical industry and its economic and social impact. I didn’t know, for example, that morphine, heroin and cocaine were all synthesised within a few years of each other in mid-19th century Germany. Along with aspirin these drugs underpinned the fortunes of the pharma giants of today. All were freely available, normally without prescription, and their use was widespread until the Nazis took power. They were appalled at the licentiousness these substances were associated with and banned them outright. They, however, had their own requirements. For example if you intended to rule the world, you better be awake, and alert, longer than everyone else. Enter ‘Pervitin’ — or meth, as we know it these days. Cheaper than coffee and available in any drug-store, according to Ohler it became a staple of every German soldier’s kitbag, and was even used by the Führer himself — though it’s possible he wasn’t aware of it.

I've got a fair way to go yet, but Blitzed moves at a good clip which kinda suits its subject matter.

Comment

I've not read TOMATS either. The only Hemingway I've read is a short story either called or featuring the phrase 'Hills Like White Elephants', and the book Green Hills of Africa. Having read the latter is a huge part of why I've not read anything else by him since, even though I've been told several times it's one of his worst books.

Comment

I'll certainly do that. I should say though that if that is LRB's interpretation then it's well off-base and unfair on Ohler. Without getting into detail, he claims the importance of Pervitin during the invasion of France, was primarily on troop morale, not continuous activity. It's true that Guderian "demanded" troops stay awake for "at least three days and three nights," but by this time the Wehrmacht had enough data to know that beyond that the drug would become counter-productive.

Mind you, Ian Kershaw apparently described it as "a scholarly, important work"

I'm not yet quite sure it's that either. However there are 150pp of citations and an extensive bibliography which includes many previously unpublished sources, so Ohler's clearly put the research hours in. I'll reserve judgement until I'm finished.

Comment

Finished Angels With Dirty Faces last night. It's very, very good. The lack of an opportunity to start a book during Monday means the last 23 hours have been possibly the first time in the last two decades that I haven't technically been able to say I'm reading any book at all. I've got a few on the Kindle to start soon though.

Comment

The more David Mitchell I read the more my total admiration grows. The interlocking of characters and themes between his books is wonderfully done. Subtle, and never intrusive in the current story. Just enough to make you smile knowingly, and to intice you to re - read his other books with a slightly different eye.

Black Swan Green could almost have been written for the Generic OTF'er. Main character Jason Taylor growing up as a sensitive, semi -outsider in a small late 70s rural town. He captures the period and the trials of being a teenager at the time perfectly. A slightly more wordly Adrian Mole in a slightly more dangerous world.

The Bone Clocks is a superb novel too. Over 60 years he developes Holly Sykes from infuriating teenager into one of my favourite fictional characters ever. A sort of female Logan Mountstuart (the character, not me) caught up in a semi fantasy world.

Surprisingly, although it's almost certainly his most celebrated novel, I couldn't quite get into Cloud Atlas as much as his other books, but it's still a fascinating read.

The reason I'm posting now, is that I'm nearing the end of The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet. I admit that I wasn't particularly grabbed by the idea of a novel set in Japan in 1800 and have put of reading it for quite a while despite enjoying his other books so much.

I did find the first half quite heavy going, but the intricacies of the dilemma and the negotiations, the development of the central character, the historical description (especially of life at sea in the 18th century), and the sheer quality and depth of the writing in the second half of the book have competely won me over.

I'd seriously recommend any of his books.

Comment

I like his Guardian articles, and I'm as big a fan of Peep Show as the next person who's not quite got round to finishing it, so I might give the novels a go soon.

(That's a joke, by the way.)

I have now started A Model World and Other Stories by Michael Chabon. So far I'm enjoying it quite a lot more than Telegraph Avenue, which I liked but wasn't up to the standard of The Yiddish Policemen's Union or Kavalier and Clay. It's been a while since I read a short story collection too, so that's nice.

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that of Telegraph Avenue. It felt very self-indulgent to me. It wasn't actually bad, but it wasn't in the same league as the other two you mentioned.

As I'm sure Logan knows, David Mitchell has a legion of fans on this board. And while I agree of 1000 Autumns - expecting it to be a little turgid, but being very happily surprised, I remain a loyalist to Cloud Atlas. And actually somewhat underwhelmed by The Bone Clocks.

My current reading, in addition to Atlas Shrugged which I have now reserved for the crapper, because that's as much as it deserves (probably more than it deserves), is The Sellout, which I've finally gotten around to. Nearly finished with it, and absolutely loving it so far. I did a search of WSC and didn't find any mention of it, which is a big surprise. I'd have thought it would have had some following by now.

Comment

I think I'll be checking that one out before long, and hoping it doesn't take me as long to get through as last year's Booker winner, which was magnificent but took me fucking forever.

And I remember mentioning TA when reading it and someone saying something similar, SB, so it might well have been your comment back then which helped me articulate what I was trying to work out about why I didn't quite get into it. Of course, not hitting the same heights as Kavalier and Clay is nothing to be ashamed of. That really is one fantastic book.

Chabon and his wife Ayelet Waldman have a book out later this year which they've edited (and contribute to) as a compilation of prominent literary folks' thoughts after spending time in Israel and Palestine. There was an article in (I think) the NYT last year which I linked to somewhere on here, and it sounds very interesting.

I need to read Moonglow, too.

Comment

The Sellout, which I've finally gotten around to. Nearly finished with it, and absolutely loving it so far. I did a search of WSC and didn't find any mention of it, which is a big surprise. I'd have thought it would have had some following by now.
                              I'm just over half way through - will let you know once I'm done. And I absolutely loved ''Seven Killings'', Sam.

Comment

Trying to get some traction on The Age of Bowie by Paul Morley.

Now I remember why I skimped through his articles back in the old NME days.

He obviously loved Bowie, and some of his observations as to what Bowie was about and what it meant to him at various points in his life, ring very close to me; but boy I am finding it hard going.

At least it's not Ian Penman I suppose.

Comment

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote: I absolutely loved ''Seven Killings'', Sam.
                                  Oh, so did I. It just took me an extremely long time to get through.

Comment

Reading The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman for the first time. I'm not sure how I overlooked this book in the past given my fascination with history, but it's been well worth the wait.

Comment

It's great isn't it? Actually almost all her books are. You must read The Proud Tower too. Chronologically it leads up to The Guns of August but was written later.

Comment

Just finished The Joy of Quiz by Alan Connor. A wonderful light and readable collection of reflections and anecdotes from the history of quizzing.

Now on John Keay's China - A History , having had my interest in the topic prompted by recent watching of the Michael Wood BBC TV series The Story of China. Enjoying it.

Comment

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote:
                                          The Sellout, which I've finally gotten around to. Nearly finished with it, and absolutely loving it so far. I did a search of WSC and didn't find any mention of it, which is a big surprise. I'd have thought it would have had some following by now.
                                          I'm just over half way through - will let you know once I'm done. And I absolutely loved ''Seven Killings'', Sam.
                                          Just finished The Sellout. Fucking loved it. I think I enjoyed it even more because of the references to Los Angeles places and street names, some of which make sense and are geographically accurate, some of which aren't where they are in real life where they are in the book, and some of which are slightly changed from real life. There's a Hawaiian Gardens in Southern California, but it's Polynesian Gardens in the book. Airdrome and Sawyer are real street names (near where I used to live!), but they aren't where he describes in the book. And Dickens is a stand-in for a part of Compton and some unincorporated land which really does have farmland.

Comment

I recently finished it, too. The ending was a bit odd, I thought, but I loved the rest. I did wonder how much was real. It's fascinating that there are pieces of unincorporated land with farmland on in LA.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: It's great isn't it? Actually almost all her books are. You must read The Proud Tower too. Chronologically it leads up to The Guns of August but was written later.
                                              Thanks Amor, I'll do that. Fascinated to learn that the Henry Morgenthau who witnessed the battle between Breslau / Goeben and HMS Gloucester was Tuchman's grandfather and that she was one of the three grandchildren travelling with him.

Comment

After flying through Michael Chabon's A Model World and other stories, I am now reading The North Water, which was nominated for the last Booker, and which is by Ian McGuire, who was one of my Creative Writing teachers for two years at the University of Manchester. Apart from a couple of short stories he shared with the class, it's the first thing I've read by him (his first novel was published in the year I graduated). I actually bought it on Amazon from a recommendation and a combination of the price and the award nomination, combined with the synopsis, pulled me in - and after I started reading it I thought, 'Hang on, Ian McGuire... is that name familiar for the reason I think it's familiar? Or am I misremembering?' and sure enough, a quick search confirms it. I know a Booker nominee (although he wouldn't recognise me if I bumped into him in the street). Indeed, I've received praise from one (he reckoned one of the stories I submitted was the best piece of work from our group that year). It's enough to make me want to start writing again...

Comment

I gave Barbarian Days about 125 pages before I gave up out of lack of interest. It's very well written, but good lord I found it very boring after a while. The opening chapters were very good, about moving between Southern California and Hawaii as a kid and the racial and social dynamics at his school in Oahu, but chapters predominantly about different types of waves and how they formed and broke without any real introduction, a lot of this being unfamiliar if you don't know how surfing works, really wore on my patience and I decided it wasn't for me.

Comment

Now on John Keay's China - A History , having had my interest in the topic prompted by recent watching of the Michael Wood BBC TV series The Story of China. Enjoying it.

Yeah, it's good. Just got his India - A History out of the library. I hope he uses that titling scheme for books about lots of countries.

Had to pause my reading of Elena Ferrante's The Days Of Abandonment. Not because it's not good, but because it's too painfully intense. She (and, I guess, her translator) are brutally skilful. So I'm relaxing with Parker Bilal's The Burning Gates, one of his Makana detective novels set in Cairo. I like it for the same sort of reasons I like Mankell, Indridason, Fossum and various other non-Anglophone crime writers - the light it casts on various aspects of different societies (though I do recognise that light is being refracted through one writer's prism).

I know a Booker nominee (although he wouldn't recognise me if I bumped into him in the street). Indeed, I've received praise from one (he reckoned one of the stories I submitted was the best piece of work from our group that year)

Ha, I received a university writing prize from a future Booker nominee in Deborah Levy, also for a story. I'm also 95% certain that China Mieville was, shall we say, influenced by the same story for the introduction of his Perdido Street Station - if he wasn't, it's quite a coincidence that not only are there strong similarities but in the acknowledgements he thanks a chap that had a copy of it... (to be fair, that introduction is followed by 600+ pages that bear no resemblance to anything I've written, so I was more amused and flattered than anything).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X