Current Reading - Books best thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sounds good. Should get that for my son.

Comment

Yeah, it's fantastic. Forgot about Scorcese and Cimino. Good tales about how Coppola almost killed everyone making Apocalypse Now and Cimino killed UA making Heaven's Gate (cost $44 million; earned $1.2).

Comment

If you enjoyed that, Spike, Mike, Slackers & Dykes is a similar book, on American indie movies of the 80s and 90s.

Comment

Oh, good. Thanks. I've already ordered Biskind's Down and Dirty Pictures: Miramax, Sundance, and the Rise of Independent Film. It's not as heralded as ER/RB but should be interesting.

Comment

Also worth seeing the film based on Robert Evan's autobiography The Kid Stays In The Picture for more on that period of Hollywood. A well constructed and entertaining documentary.
            I can't recommend the book it's based on, not having read it.

Comment

Actually, The Kid Stays In The Picture is on the Recommended Reading list at the back of ER/RB. I've been meaning to order that for a while.

Comment

Julia Phillips' You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again is also enjoyable as a portrait of film-making in the 1970s and early 1980s.

Comment

Also one of the eight on the list.

Comment

One of my favourite authors has a book coming out called football. Jean-Philippe Toussaint, Fitzcarraldo Editions.

His novels are short little things about life, absolutely beautiful.

You may remember him for his short story/essay about Zinedine Zidane's head butt.

Comment

I'm currently reading Nobody Ever Says Thank You by Jonathan wilson. Its a difficult and fascinating book but i've lost all respect for Brian Clough as a person as he is such a manipulative, insecure, egotistical, cantakerous man.

Comment

There's no list at the back of my ER/RB, would you mind filling me in with the remaining 6? If you can be bothered, like.

Comment

Of course.

Final Cut by Steven Bach
                          Notes: The Making of Apocalypse Now by Eleanor Coppola
                          The Apocalypse Now Book by Peter Cowie
                          The Godfather Book by Peter Cowie
                          The Kid Stays In The Picture by Robert Evans
                          High Concept by Charles Fleming
                          Adventures In The Screen Trade by William Goldman
                          You'll Never Lunch [sic] In This Town Again by Julia Phillips

Comment

High Concept is fun. Not particularly enlightening, but scandalous/tragic.

Comment

Thanks WOM.
                              Of those, I've only read the Goldman book. Worth reading, but not nearly as much to get your teeth into as ER/RB.
                              I'll add the others to the ever-lengthening 'to read' list.

Comment

I'm reading The Wall by William Sutcliffe, a teenage novel about the Israeli-Palestine conflict.

Comment

Reading The End of the Cold War by Robert Service and it's a riveting read.

Comment

Well, The Cremation of Sam McGee was a classic, so why not?

Comment

WOM wrote: Cimino killed UA making Heaven's Gate (cost $44 million; earned $1.2).
                                      If one of them's been dead since then, they really must be a collective to have kept posting on here for so long.

Comment

Now reading The Door That Led To Where by Sally Gardner, about a boy who goes back in time to the 19th century. It's excellent, as are the majority of her books. I'm a kids' librarian so it's fine to read loads of children's books, right?

Comment

It's fine to read children's books anyway, I'd say. They're how we all* got into reading in the first place after all.

I once did one of those Facebook status things where you're asked to list your favourite things and put Winnie-the-Pooh down as one of my five favourite books. A couple of my friends, separately, expressed admiration for me putting it without caring what people would say about me listing a children's book. I didn't really understand why I wouldn't; the reading bug hit me very early and that was one of the first books I have strong memories of loving (I've just realised it's the book I also have listed as my favourite on my profile on here). Anyone who's liked reading from a young age and doesn't count what they read as a child among their favourite/most memorable books read is missing a large part of the point.

*I assume.

Comment

Winnie-the-pooh - excellent choice. Shows your deep love for all things Canadian. A man of taste.

Comment

I'd never looked at it like that before, but I suppose you're right.

It's the one book that's been with me in every place I've ever called home, and always the copy my uncle gave me for Christmas when I was 3 or 4 years old.

Comment

My friend Lindsay's great grandfather was the army guy who found/bought(?) the bear. She wrote a book about it last year which did quite well.

https://www.amazon.ca/Finding-Winnie-Story-Worlds-Famous/dp/0316324906

Comment

Just in the final few pages of The Comedians: Drunks, Thieves, Scoundrels, and the History of American Comedy. Above and beyond good. A terrific look at the history of American comedy from Vaudeville through radio, early TV, standup and everything in between.

[Edit: written by Kliph Nesteroff]

Comment

WOM wrote: Just in the final few pages of The Comedians: Drunks, Thieves, Scoundrels, and the History of American Comedy. Above and beyond good. A terrific look at the history of American comedy from Vaudeville through radio, early TV, standup and everything in between.

[Edit: written by Kliph Nesteroff]
                                                    Really want to read this!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X