Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3373818283
Results 2,051 to 2,061 of 2061
    Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    Quote Originally Posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    How was or is it? Do I need to be sending you the money for it as promised?
    Ah. I got knocked off course by Tom Wolfe dying and read The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine Flake Streamline Baby, and then Mrs WOM bought me a true-crime book about Iceland called Out of Thin Air so I read that and then something else (looks around pile...) and now I'm into Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance (which is excellent), and then I'll get back on course. Oh, the book about John Fairfax rowing solo across the Atlantic, which was interesting...but it went pretty smoothly, all things considered, so not terribly exciting.

We are Groot
    Teams
    Salop, Cymru, Devils, Padres
    Biscuit
    Choc and Hazelnut Boasters
    Actor
    Mr Tumble apparently
    I've started reading Sabriel. It's years since I've read it.

Just finished "1983 the world at the brink " by Taylor Downing, one of the scariest books I've ever read. In 1983 a series of misjudgements by the West accompanied by growing paranoia among the elderly Soviet politburo meant that the world came closer to Armageddon than at any other time before or since, I was 19 in 1983 and the thought of what could've happened gives me cold sweats even now

Teams
    Lincoln City
    Biscuit
    Garibaldi
    Bought four books relating to Norse myths yesterday (on the basis that I watched Thor on Monday night). Started with The Penguin Guide to Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-Holland, have Neil Gaiman's recent book Norse Mythology as well as The Poetic Edda and The Prose Edda. Gone a bit overboard really.
    Recently finished Ian Kershaw's History of Europe from 1914-1949, whereupon I realised I had read it two years ago. Really should hand it back to my dad, anyway it's a good read. Read Reservoir 13 too, which has got an awful lot of praise but I found it tiresome, trite and a complete bore. It reminded me of having to listen to The Archers omnibus.

Teams
    Oldham & Farnborough
    Recent reading that I've enjoyed:

Hannu Rajaniemi, Summerland - I guess scifi, but it's set in the late 1930s in a world where the British Empire colonised the afterlife and the Soviets turned to computers. British and Soviet spies duel in the living world and the afterlife over the fate of Spain, Stalin and possibly the world. Le Carre meets ectopunk.

Todd McAulty, The Robots of Gotham - entertaining scifi action. Unlikely hero businessman faces off against rogue AIs and a nascent pandemic in a war-torn US occupied by South American soldiers in a world semi-ruled by AIs.

C Robert Cargill, Sea of Rust - similar vein. Sort-of western where a mortally wounded scavenging robot seeks salvation in a ruined world after a robot uprising wiped out humanity.

Alma Katsu, The Hunger - dramatised account of the Donner Party (the wagon train to California that ended in starvation, murder and cannibalism). Real characters fleshed out with fictional details, and some added supernatural horror. A bit clunky in places, but compelling.

Peng Shepherd, The Book of M - currently working through this; the story of a man and wife separated in a post-apocalyptic America where a global pandemic resulted first in people losing their shadows, then their memories, but gaining weird powers as a result (e.g. a character forgets that wolves can't talk, so they can). Less silly than it sounds.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    Jesus man, did you lose a bet?

Teams
    Oldham & Farnborough
    Ho ho. No, I've been on a non-fiction binge so having something fluffier to read was a nice break.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    ...have Neil Gaiman's recent book Norse Mythology as well ...
    Spotted this on Mrs WOM's night table this week. I was like "Hey....someone else I know is reading this...<stares off into middle distance>...".

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusoe View Post
    Ho ho. No, I've been on a non-fiction binge so having something fluffier to read was a nice break.
    The Road would make a nice palate cleanser...

Teams
    Oldham & Farnborough
    Hmm. I guess there is a bit of a post-apocalyptic theme going on.

I’ve just finished Eleanor Oliphant, the current bestseller, list topper etc. Was almost put off by it being bestselling chicklit but it’s fantastic. Clever, funny and painful. A bit triggering for me, as I had an awful mother who still stalks my dreams, although not as bad as Eleanor’s.

The funny bits are really, really funny.