Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3272808182
Results 2,026 to 2,047 of 2047
    Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    Quote Originally Posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    I'm curious about the blog, could you post a link to it.
    https://whatwouldbaledo.com/2016/11/...neguts-novels/

Teams
    Swansea, Gaziantepspor and the Zeugma Franchise
    Biscuit
    Bahlsen Choco Leibniz Dark
    Cheers WOM .

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    There's also another list that puts Breakfast of Champions dead last, so....

Teams
    Sheffield Wednesday, FK Csikszereda Women's U18 team, AFC Csiki Monkeys
    Biscuit
    Ginger nuts
    I liked Breakfast of Champions

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    See, a total shit-show. It's as if different people have different tastes or something...

Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Petit Ecolier (milk chocolate)
    My Vonnegut reading happened in my more SF-nerdy days as a late teenager. As such, I loved Cats Cradle most. Player Piano and Sirens of Titan (and of course S-5) were the others I really remember enjoying. Actually, I also loved Galapagos at the time, which is late-era Vonnegut, because I was going through a phase of fascination with Darwinism and evolution; I'm not sure anyone else read it.

not local
    Teams
    Dundee Utd, Gladbach, Atleti, Napoli
    I really liked Breakfast of Champs, not that I can remember anything much about it.

I loved Slaughterhouse 5 so much I bought it (and 100 Years of Solitude!) for my Dad's xmas at the end of my 1st term at Wolverhampton poly.

I still get cold sweats of embarassment at having done that (he was not renowned as a reader, even if he did a mean crossword), but when I once told it as a 'things you regret' in a group training session, I got lots of 'awww, how sweets'

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    Nice. My dad was a voracious reader, so I intentionally left a well-placed copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas where I knew he'd pick it up. I received a profanity-laced phone call about two days later.

They rode over peasants like you
    Teams
    Raith Rovers/Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Abernethies
    I’ve read Galapagos. Like Gore Vidal’s Live at Golgotha, I managed to enjoy it while also thinking it a bit shit. I don’t think I like Vonnegut’s prose style much at all. Like William Goldman (Adventures in screenwriting as well as his screenplays), I’m not sure if he’s a bad good writer or a good bad one. Mother Knight was great.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 30-05-2018 at 22:10.

Biscuit
    Fair City
    The first 250 pages of Timothy Snyder's "Road to Unfreedom" - which is mostly about Putin's post-2012 ideological changes - are the best thing I have read all year. It is mindblowing. It is the absolutely 100% perfect complement to Masha Gessen's "The Future is History", partly because it gives a better insight into what is going on behind the scenes (specifically, the thinking behind the demonization of homosexuality, as well as a clarification on the peculiarly Russian definition of the word "fascism" - essentially, anyone who gets in Russia's way or believes in the rule of law) and partly because his notion of "the politics of eternity", though not exactly well-fleshed out, still is a better description of the driving force of Putinism than the "totalitarianism" definition Gessen uses.

The last 50 pages, which are about Trump, aren't bad, but they aren't great, either. Nothing factually incorrect, but they have the feel of a press-clipping dump.

You look so good Fantastic man
    Just finished Natives - Race and Class in the Ruins of Empire, by Akala. As someone who grew up with a white Protestant British understanding of history, taught by white Protestant British teachers, I was always confused why the bad guys in films were always British (English, posh). It was only my own reading later in life that made it clear. It's because we were the bad guys.

This book puts race and class into stark context. How they intertwine, and how Empire has created structures that still exist today. I've loved Akala since he thoughtfully destroyed Tommy Robinson on some YouTube clip I stumbled across while looking for a video the EDL meff getting slapped daft in Amsterdam. This book is a 300 odd page musing on how history and politics have effected primarily his life, and those of black and minority groups in England and beyond. It taught me a lot, and allowed me to streamline and sharpen my own thoughts on the subject. It's fucking great. Down with the whites! Down with the upper classes! Up with dead good books!

4.5 white supremacists getting kicked up the hoop out of 5.

He's great- Will he be at the World Cup event?

You look so good Fantastic man
    We're working on something to bring him to Manchester, but sadly not to the pub. You'll have to make do with Brian McClair.

We are Groot
    Teams
    Shrewsbury Town, Wales, Cardiff Devils
    Biscuit
    Choc and Hazelnut Boasters
    Actor
    Bradley Cooper voicing Rocket Raccoon
    I've finished The Vital Question by Nick Lane, which is easily the most technical science book I've read. I managed to follow it though. It describes how complex cells first formed and how energy needs subsequently guided evolution. Very interesting.

In an abrupt change of pace, I've just started Clariel by Garth Nix, which is a prequel to the Old Kingdom trilogy that I read years ago. It's a young adult fantasy novel. Sometimes I just want to read something light.

We are Groot
    Teams
    Shrewsbury Town, Wales, Cardiff Devils
    Biscuit
    Choc and Hazelnut Boasters
    Actor
    Bradley Cooper voicing Rocket Raccoon
    Quote Originally Posted by WOM View Post
    Oh, good. I was wondering what to do next. I'd heard Breakfast of Champions. Any thoughts?
    I bought it in a charity shop last year, read it, thought it was garbage and redistributed it to another charity shop immediately.

It's completely put me off reading anything else by him.

Just finished Beartown, by Frederik Backman, and the universality of the themes explored made it a thoroughly rewarding read. Ostensibly, it's about a Swedish ice-hockey village, but the plot could easily be transferred to rural Ireland, Middle America or an English suburb and prove equally effective, dealing as it does with the rivalry between villages and towns, teenage friendships, community divisions faced with a polarising incident, exploration of perceived gender roles, and character development. The novel is reportedly going to be made into a TV series by the producers of The Bridge, and as one reads the book, it certainly appears tailor-made for such treatment.

Teams
    The Mighty Imps of Lindum
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cakes/Biscuits
    I'm reading 'Arcadia' by Jim Crace. He's the kind of writer whose every last sentence fills me with envious admiration. He's a proper writer, which sounds a banal thing to say, but what I mean is that he should be acclaimed as a literary titan for the things he does with words, page after page. There aren't many who can write like this. Richard Bass and Annie Proulx spring to mind. I read 'Being Dead' and 'Quarantine' by Crace a while back. But you don't hear much about him (not that I move in the kind of circles where people talk about this kind of thing). Anyone else read him?

Before that I finished 'Der Jonas-Komplex' by my favourite Austrian writer, the truly mental Thomas Glavinic. 750 pages, but it was a breeze, even if there was a mountain or two of cocaine more than necessary. Funny, excessive, ultimately humane.

not local
    Teams
    Dundee Utd, Gladbach, Atleti, Napoli
    I read Being Dead a couple of years ago, yes- was impressed.

Prompted by the absolutely awesome TV series 'Patrick Melrose', starring Benedict Cumberbatch (it's the best thing he's ever done, honestly), I'm currently coming to the end of the set of five semi-autobiographical novels by Edward St. Aubyn. They are fantastically well-written and incredibly caustic, with occasional dark sparks of vicious humour. I searched around to see whether anyone had previously mentioned him - either in books or film/TV - but couldn't find any reference.

You've not listened to Cabin Pressure then...

Quote Originally Posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    You've not listened to Cabin Pressure then...
    Yes I have. He's better in this.

Teams
    Oldham/Farnborough
    Off-forum tangent, but I love Cabin Pressure. The chap who wrote it has a pretty good sketch show as well.

Edit: oh, it's being discussed in the Current Watching thread. Naturally.
    Last edited by Crusoe; 14-06-2018 at 14:28.