Ordinary people being extraordinary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordinary people being extraordinary

I found out today that a woman who swims in the early morning sessions that I go to has fostered over 200 children. (Not at the same time, obvs.)

I think that's kind of extraordinary.

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    I found out today that a woman who swims in the early morning sessions that I go to has fostered over 200 children. (Not at the same time, obvs.)

I think that's kind of extraordinary.
    I think that swimming in the early morning is extraordinary enough.

Don't get me started on my respect for foster parents, I will be here all day. There is something exclusively special about people who can foster (extraordinary is spot on). They have to keep their emotions in check so as not too get too attached to many of the children who are short-term foster places but still provide possibly the first security and affection (if not, perhaps, the love) for many children. Sometimes, their professional distance can seem cold but it must be necessary not to crack up every time a child leaves especially if it is back to a family where there is still even a a small possibility where abuse could still happen. When we first adopted our son, we spent a couple of weeks with the foster parents. We realise, in retrospect, how amazing they were but at the time were picking holes, I think because they weren't showing an unbridled gushing love for the wonderful boy that we were about to adopt .When we happened to see the Dad in the park one day, we asked him if he was going to miss our son. I can't remember his exact response but it was sort of "meh". We were pretty appalled but now, of course, we realise that it was his coping mechanism. Most of us couldn't have the foster carers' relationship with dogs let alone children. Since we have met other foster carers, a couple that previously fostered my son and others and it takes very very, as you say, extraordinary people. I have often heard people say "Of course, they get paid well". That pisses me off as they could get paid ten times as much and it still wouldn't be enough and still most of us wouldn't last a week.

In the same vein, our experience taught us a lot about social workers in children's services. Again, ordinary - although often hugely professional and talented - people doing extraordinary things and, more often than not, getting vilified for it. A truly thankless task.

Comment

That's great. Because one always hears about the bad foster parents who just do it as a side-hustle (as has been portrayed on Shameless).

Comment

My aunt's husband was fostered, by a lady who fostered over 300 children. She was on 'This is Your Life' - he was the first of the 300 and gave her a big hug at the end of the programme.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
          My aunt's husband was fostered, by a lady who fostered over 300 children. She was on 'This is Your Life' - he was the first of the 300 and gave her a big hug at the end of the programme.
          I remember that!

Comment

In a work-related meeting I met a guy who was celebrating the 40th anniversary this year of his diagnosis with Type 1 Diabetes. To mark his "diaversary" he has run 40 half marathons to raise funds for charity.

Comment

Bride saved by lung transplant is walked down the aisle by dad whose tragic girl donated her organs

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...alked-11416664

This made me go wow this morning

Comment

I appear to have something in my eye.

Comment

It’s catching.

Comment

Working...
                  X